MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

There is a thread called All things Splendor, but most of the posts are old and all are from LA.

I thought I'd start a NY related one, since we will be sailing on her in June and I've been on a quest for info.

Things I've learned so far/questions I've gotten answers to ...

The Splendor has actual trays - not plates pretending to be trays - yay!

Go through the “secret doors” (all the way to the front of the ship, may be at the left or right side with or without high wind warning signs) on decks 6, 7, 9, or 10 and you’ll have the same view the captain has from the bridge.

Rotisserie has good food and plenty of tables.

They can cover the Lido pool in inclement weather and they show movies there with free popcorn.

The cover band is currently True Identity - who I have heard are very good!

There is both a Mongolian Wok and a Burrito Bar. Also Tandoor/Indian - but I wasn't as interested in that - might give it a try, I've heard the Naan is very good.

The Sushi Bar serves sushi - not the Tasting Menu thing!

The Deli has good paninis.

Everything is PINK! Looks kind of lavenderish in some pics. I like pink - I can deal :D

The Steak House is good, and I may need to make my reservations online before we go. If you did the Steak house was it difficult to get a reservation? Ahi Tuna Tartare is calling my name!

It has a Serenity area with a bar, but no pool and no hot tub.

The aft pool is Adults only.

The ship has a mini golf course - I love mini golf and it's such fun to play on the ship with the wind wrecking havoc!

You have to pay extra for the Thalassotherapy Pool and the special Spa rooms, unless you have a Spa cabin.

They do the bean bag game - Yay! They do not do the Horse Race thing :(

Malcolm "WooWoo" Burns is the CD, but Big Tex will sub while Malcolm is on vacation - late May early June. I thought we would have Big Tex on the 6/10 sailing but John Heald said, we would have Malcolm. I've had him before, guess I will have to prepare myself to be "Wooed" :p

-----------------------------------------------------------

Things I would still like to know ...

Did they offer the wine pairing class in the Steak House? We did this on the Miracle and it was very good - loved the little food samples.

Do they have the little cinnamon rolls at breakfast - I love those?

I heard that they switched the Lido coffee to Lavassa and that it's much improved. If anyone can confirm this, I won't need to bring as much tea.

I'm sure I have more questions and more information, but that should do it for now. If anyone who has sailed her recently has Fun Times, they could share or perhaps post highlights - that would be awesome.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my quest for knowledge! I've heard lots of good things from the first group out of NYC and the second group should be debarking as we speak! Those of us who will be sailing on the Splendor out of the Big Apple want to know!

Malcolm "WooWoo" Burns is the CD, but Big Tex will sub while Malcolm is on vacation - late May early June. I thought we would have Big Tex on the 6/10 sailing but John Heald said, we would have Malcolm. I've had him before, guess I will have to prepare myself to be "Wooed" :p

I'm lucky that i dont have to sail with malcom again since he wont be on my 6/2 sailing..woohoo for me. I had him before on the miracle in 2009

I'm lucky that i dont have to sail with malcom again since he wont be on my 6/2 sailing..woohoo for me. I had him before on the miracle in 2009

Agreed. We had him last December on Splendor and nothing personal, but the woohoo's really get old after awhile.

Do you know if Malcolm will be on for our cruise 5/17 - 5/25???:confused:

I think he will be on until the 5/26 sailing. I looked at the CD schedule John Heald posted, but it was difficult to tell since both Malcolm and Big Tex are listed. I thought Big Tex would be covering until after our 6/10 cruise, but John said no :(.

I can tune out the WooWoo - but sometimes I just want to cover my ears! Wish Trevor Block was still around - he was great!

I feel bad for the Splendor. It is going to take a beating from the NY whining and grumbling crowd. Nothing worse than being on a cruise full of NYers, they trash the ship, get obnoxious and drunk(out of control drunk), and are never happy. The Poor poor Splendor, will need to be drydocked after NY.;)

I called and asked if any thing was in the works to offer the FTTF for NY on the Splendor and they said No......

Wondering why not? guess there is already the quota of the platnum?

Might have to do with the port rather than Carnival.

I feel bad for the Splendor. It is going to take a beating from the NY whining and grumbling crowd. Nothing worse than being on a cruise full of NYers, they trash the ship, get obnoxious and drunk(out of control drunk), and are never happy. The Poor poor Splendor, will need to be drydocked after NY.;)

Well aren't we the grumpy camper this morning!

We always cruise out of NY and don't see any more "whining and grumbling ... trash the ship, get obnoxious and drunk" or unhappy people than I read about sailing from other ports. In fact, I don't recall seeing any of that on any of my cruises.

I'll take a cruise ship full of NYers any day - in fact I plan on doing just that June 10th! :D

I've been on 8 cruises on 3 different cruise lines. My experiences have been the EXACT opposite of what you claim.

New Yorkers are great! :)

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

I like Malcolm alot, & am sorry that we're missing him on 6/2. We had Corey as a replacement CD on 10/5, right after Malcolm broke his hand, and he was OK, but he seemed to LOVE the hip-hop blaring all over the ship on that cruise. Then we had Tex on 3/6, & I never saw him even once. A non-entity.

This morning, on my way into the office, I saw the Splendor docking at the pier at 6:50AM. ;).

I think you're rather offensive. I've cruised 22 times out of NY and I've never, not even once, witnessed any of the behavior you describe. And we're a much more upbeat group than you seem to be aware. Just sayin' :cool:.

I think he will be on until the 5/26 sailing. I looked at the CD schedule John Heald posted, but it was difficult to tell since both Malcolm and Big Tex are listed. I thought Big Tex would be covering until after our 6/10 cruise, but John said no :(.

I can tune out the WooWoo - but sometimes I just want to cover my ears! Wish Trevor Block was still around - he was great!

Bummer! I was looking forward to the Texan guy... I've never sailed Carnival before (so I can't compare CD's).. But the WooWoo'ing sounds like it would get irritating :(

Bummer! I was looking forward to the Texan guy... I've never sailed Carnival before (so I can't compare CD's).. But the WooWoo'ing sounds like it would get irritating :(

He tends to make his announcements in bunches. If IIRC there was a morning an afternoon and an evening bunch with one or two sprinkled through out the day. We always missed the morning one because we were having coffee on our balcony or in the room getting dressed.

There's usually enough noise in other parts of the ship to drown some of the rest out :D. He does it mostly when he starts and finishes the group of announcements. I tried to tune it out with some success!

At one point John Heald stated FTTF would be fleet wise by March. I am thinking it is Carnival not the port as the Miracle doesn't have it either and it ports in CA now. I hope they have not changed their mind. In the beginning I thought wow that is a foolish thing to purchase, but since I have thought about it not so much. Honestly I want it so that us Platinum and Diamond folks can go to their room and have their luggage when boarding. Right now technically without it we are not to go to our rooms until everyone else does.

I for one am looking forward to cruising from NYC. It has taken a little more planning pre-cruise for me, but I think it is one of the ports that offer more to do pre-cruise.

I called and asked if any thing was in the works to offer the FTTF for NY on the Splendor and they said No......

Wondering why not? guess there is already the quota of the platnum?

Honestly I want it so that us Platinum and Diamond folks can go to their room and have their luggage when boarding. Right now technically without it we are not to go to our rooms until everyone else does.

I for one am looking forward to cruising from NYC. It has taken a little more planning pre-cruise for me, but I think it is one of the ports that offer more to do pre-cruise.

Exactly! I'm not platinum, but my sister who is traveling with us is. We get to ride on her platinum coat tails - and very nice coat tails they are too!

On our last cruise on the Miracle we got on early - I forget what time, but we didn't have to wait in the VIP lounge long. We were sitting out by the aft pool and my sister decided to check the room. It was ready and the steward said we could go right in. It was before 1:30 - maybe 12:30 a quarter to one.

I can't wait for our cruise - I'm making my self nuts :D

OK is it just some people, or are things really this bad? I think this was the first cruise out of NY, as someone said earlier, there would be some new staff.... So wondering if that is part of a problem... gee I hope so... complaints of cold and long wait in MDR for dinner service to be complete, No clean sheets every night?( geeze if the sheets are dirty let the steward know and he will change them, IF not do u really change your sheets at home everynight?

Carnival really has to Step it up with all this Neg, going around...

Please do so for all of Us!!!and for the company

OK is it just some people, or are things really this bad? I think this was the first cruise out of NY, as someone said earlier, there would be some new staff.... So wondering if that is part of a problem... gee I hope so... complaints of cold and long wait in MDR for dinner service to be complete, No clean sheets every night?( geeze if the sheets are dirty let the steward know and he will change them, IF not do u really change your sheets at home everynight?

Carnival really has to Step it up with all this Neg, going around...

Please do so for all of Us!!!and for the company

I read 2 reviews from the first sailing from NY and both were good. The main complaint one person had was that there was no basketball for the basketball court, but they said the rest was good.

I think people who post reviews here give more information and better feed back than those who post in the review section. March 30 or 31 was the first cruise out of NYC.

I think you're rather offensive. I've cruised 22 times out of NY and I've never, not even once, witnessed any of the behavior you describe. And we're a much more upbeat group than you seem to be aware. Just sayin' :cool:.

I couldn't agree more.

Plus, where else will you get a sail-a-way view like this one?

e99ic0.jpg

The Miracle sailed out of NYC for about a year and the ship is still in one piece! I have sailed many times out of NYC and have not seen the behavior you described. Maybe you sailed during school break with lots of teenagers aboard and that messed with your preception. Unless passengers go around with a sign taped to their foreheads stating "I'm A NYer" how would you know where they are from? Passengers from neighboring states and Canada board the ship in NY as well.

MARAPRINCE