Considering trying the new Grand New England Boston Round Trip...any advice?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:47 PM.
USA
22 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by DaveinCharlotte
shipshapetoo: Thank you for the detailed info on hotel options and embarkation locations! This was exactly what I was looking for.
You're welcome too DaveinCharlotte. Glad to share what I learned from my experiences -pre-planning and actual cruising on the Constellation. When I planned this cruise, I discovered that there is not a lot of information on the message boards about ACL (as compared to the ocean and other river cruise lines) and I was frustrated in my attempt to get correct, non-conflicting information from ACL's 800 customer service number.

So glad to help.
PA
62 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by shipshapertoo
You're welcome too DaveinCharlotte. Glad to share what I learned from my experiences -
So glad to help.
Thank you for your post. We will be taking this cruise in late August. Have you posted a review of your experiences while on the cruise? I would love to read about your trip!
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
1,114 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by SteelMagnolia9
Beginning with my first cruise, I have booked each subsequent cruise onboard as they offer a 15% discount and waiver of port fees if you book while onboard.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, either generally or my experience on the itineraries.
Do they have a Future Cruise Person (lol, we usually sail on Princess) onboard to help you out booking a next cruise? I'd like to go on a Rhine River cruise that focuses on music (Classical Composers like Bach, Beethoven, etc) but I'm not sure which of the many ACL cruises would be best suited for that. I'd like to talk with a knowledgeable person.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
All our Cruise Pictures

1989 Dawn Princess - Eastern Caribbean ..............................1990 Dawn Princess - Alaska............................................ ......2001 RCCL Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2002 RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Alaska..............................2003 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera.........................................20 04 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia
2005 RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean.......2005 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal..........................................2 006 Regal Princess - Alaska
2007 Tahitian Princess - Marquesas........................................2 008 Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound and Southbound.......2009 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera
2010 Sea Princess - Alaska RT from SF..................................2010 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal........................................201 1 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal 05/19/11
2011 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal 09/24/11........................2012 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal........................................... 2012 Island Princess - Alaska Inside Passage
09/24/12 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal..................................02/08/13 Ocean Princess - French Polynesia...............................04/06/14 Grand Princess - California Coastal
01/03/15 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera................................10/17/15 Grand Princess - CA Coastal..........................................0 4/02/16 Grand Princess - SF to Hawaii RT
12/17/16 Royal Clipper - BVI Christmas Cruise.......................06/27/17 Pacific Princess - Midnight Sun and Spitsbergen..........10/15/17 Grand Princess - California Coastal
7/05/18 Grand Princess - Alaska RT from SF..........................12/22/18 Silver Cloud Expedition - Antarctica...............................
Atlanta/Key West
10,044 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
American Cruise Lines doesn't do European cruises, hence the name.

They only do North America at this point.

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite Member
EMAIL
Inverness, IL
283 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Cruising the Constellation in October

Received my docs and went on the website to look at the excursions offered. To my surprise, the website itinerary and the one sent to me are completely different! When I called, ACL said what I received from my TA was correct and the website was wrong.
If they can't post the correct itinerary on the internet from where you book the cruise, what else are they doing wrong? By the way all those "included" excursions number 6 on an 11 day cruise and two of them are in the same port.
This is our first small ship cruise after 80 or more ocean cruises; we paid as much daily as we do on a luxury line and are hoping our experience will be memorable in a good way.
Inverness, IL
283 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Just a word of caution. The itinerary that is posted online is not the itinerary the ship uses. The website shows Provincetown as the first stop when it is actually Bar Harbor. Second stop is Camden instead of Newport. When I called, they had no explanation and were surprised the website was incorrect. The included tours are 6 for 11 days and two are in one port.
Cruise in October but a bit worried now.
Charlotte NC
102 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
We are taking this cruise in mid September 2018, and have received our docs as well. When I checked them, sure enough, very different than what's been on the web and continues to be on the web. Thanks for the heads-up - I hadn't even noticed the changed itinerary. I did notice a while back that their map did not quite fit the prose, but now it's totally out of whack.

It's not just the first two stops that are different; they have reshuffled the entire cruise. However, it's just a re-arrangement of what's on the web -- no port has been dropped or added.

But this might mean we can't fully trust the detailed listing of excursions. (Maybe we'll get surprised, and find they've been able to add a couple of free tours...yeah, sure!) On our other two ACL cruises (Rivers of Florida and Grand Mississippi) we did have free tours every day, not counting the first and last days. Disappointing that this cruise does not, but we knew that going in - their web site has always shown that several stops have no free tours. On our other cruises, there was no mismatch between the web description and the actual cruise; sad that this one is so messed up.

By the way, not that it matters, but this cruise is on the Constitution, not the Constellation (I think they are nearly identical ships). When this thread started in 2017, it was the Constellation, but in early 2018 it was moved out west and replaced with the Constitution in New England.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
- S/V Mandalay, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, Windward Islands & Panama
- M/V Grande Mariner, Blount, Great Lakes & Erie Canal
- M/V Safari Endeavor, UnCruise, Alaska
- M/V Legacy, UnCruise, Colombia & Snake Rivers
- M/V Infante Henrique, CrossiEurope, Portugal
- M/V Glory, American Cruise Lines, Florida

- M/V Safari Voyager, UnCruise, Costa Rica & Panama
- M/V Variety Voyager, Vantage, British Isles

- M/V America, American Cruise Lines, Mississippi River
- M/V American Duchess, American Steamboat Co., Nashville
Planned:
-M/V Constitution, American Cruise Lines, New England
-M/V River Voyager, Vantage, Frankfurt-Budapest
Inverness, IL
283 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
We are leaving in 3 days and just received another itinerary. This could be a problem if anyone made onshore reservations as we are talking a totally new shifting of ports. With Florence heading to New England, I just hope the crew is more organized then their website in making changes in ports if needed. Not much confidence in them right now with all the confusing info.
Charlotte NC
102 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Riversanddale
Can anyone give info on the true itinerary order and time in port?
We too have received the updated itinerary that jdymiller just posted about. It now shows the order as: Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Camden, Rockland, Boothbay Harbor, Gloucester, Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Provincetown, Boston. Ship arrival time on final day is now 6:00am, not the prior evening -- this means little margin of error for our 11:00am flight home.

The itinerary, the web, and the catalog all emphasize that the itinerary is subject to change due to...with a half dozen reasons given. So I'm not sure there really ever is a "true itinerary" order, and I can see why it's hard for the web folks to keep up. Just a few threads earlier than this one, WoodyWindy posted about ship twice getting diverted to Bucksport earlier this summer.

Some of this uncertainty may be due to the looming Florence situation. Even if the main impact is in the Carolinas, I'll bet there will likely be unpleasant shore effects in New England. Heavy rain is forecast for Boston on Monday, probably the after-effect of Gordon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
- S/V Mandalay, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, Windward Islands & Panama
- M/V Grande Mariner, Blount, Great Lakes & Erie Canal
- M/V Safari Endeavor, UnCruise, Alaska
- M/V Legacy, UnCruise, Colombia & Snake Rivers
- M/V Infante Henrique, CrossiEurope, Portugal
- M/V Glory, American Cruise Lines, Florida

- M/V Safari Voyager, UnCruise, Costa Rica & Panama
- M/V Variety Voyager, Vantage, British Isles

- M/V America, American Cruise Lines, Mississippi River