Piraeus - anything to do or see on the port town?

Bubbles forever

Hi all, we've done Athens sights on several occasions so not too bothered about trekking into the city centre. Is there anything to see or do in walking distance of the port itself, or is it very industrialised?

Any shops, parks, cafes, etc.?

Thanks

Bubbles

Piraeus has a small but very nice archaeological museum within walking distance of the port. It has some incredible bronze statues that are the equivalent of anything in the National Archaeological Museum in Athens itself.

That sounds good, thank you. Somewhere to spend an hour or two.

Many thanks

Bubbles

That sounds good, thank you. Somewhere to spend an hour or two.

Many thanks

Bubbles

There is an Info Point near the cruise terminal; they will be happy to provide you with a Piraeus map and walking directions to the museum. As I recall it was only about 6-8 blocks once you get out of the port.

Like the OP, we have been to Athens (both land and sea) too many times. So about 5 years while there for a long port day, DW was not feeling well and decided to stay on the ship. I love long walks (10 mile strolls is my norm) so I decided to explore parts of Pireaus not normally visited by cruisers. I took a long walk (over an hour) across the Peninsula to get to Zea Pasalimani (this is also on the HoHo bus route) which is a harbor area with lots of very expensive yachts and many excellent seafood restaurants. I finally stopped at one of the seafood places and had a nice lunch with real fresh seafood (something you do not get on cruise ships). Just walking in this area and gawking at lots of very nice yachts and boats was fun.

But the bottom line is that daytime Pireaus is nothing to shout about. Even Zea Pasalimani does not really come to life until the evening. On one visit we decided to try something different and walked over to the Pireaus Train Station (you can also get there on a local bus) and hopped on the train towards Athens. But we stayed on the train until the end of the line which is a very upscale suburb of Athens called Kifissia. This is really a nice residential and shopping town for the wealthy and strolling the streets will take you by many famous name boutiques and quite a few eateries. We had a delightful few hours just browsing the shops and enjoying a long lunch. Then we simply walked back over to the nearby train station and took the train right back to Pireaus.

Another think one can do is that the fast ferry over to the island of Aegina. Its a delightful small island which you can read about online. The island is very proud of its terrific pistachio crop. The key to going to Aegina is getting an early start. And one other idea is to simply rent a car in Pireaus and drive yourself down to Cape Sounion. There are a few nice beaches along the route so definitely wear a swim suit under your clothes.

So now you have a few ideas.

Hank

We’ve made that walk to Zea Pasalimani as well. It’s very doable, there are many restaurants, the boats are interesting, and there are some historical sites along the way. There are multiple routes to and from as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums