NCL cancelled the Nov 27-Dec 7th 10 day cruiseon the SUN to S Caribbean from Miami!!

elruth

I can't imagine why you would book domestic air so far out.

REALLY? This is the most ridiculous comment ever. You don't say where you live and if you need to book airfare when you cruise.....but those of us who do know that this is a game of "Roulette".....wait and you may have NO seats left, exorbitant cost of tickets, no flights at all on the day you want. It is not worth the huge risk to maybe on an "off" chance find a flight a few $$ less waiting with stress if offered at all!! We book when flights open and have almost always received the lowest prices offered when the flights are wide open and empty (supply and demand??). Silly silly snarky statement IMHO!!

I did call today to see what the price difference would be now that the itinerary has changed. It would be about $ 715.00 more for the same cabin. No thanks. I have no desire to go to the Panama Canal and Cuba. This really is tacky of NCL to change the itinerary and charge more!

So what was the original itinerary of this cruise? And what is the new one?

Old:

Miami, Florida

St Thomas, US Virgin Islands

St Johns, Antigua

Bridgetown, Barbados

Castries, St Lucia

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Miami, Florida

New:

Miami, Florida

Cartagena, Colombia

Panama Canal/Gatun Lake, Panama (Colon, Panama)

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

George Town, Grand Cayman

Havana, Cuba

Miami, Florida

Does anyone know what paragraph in the fine print NCL use to be able to cancel booked cruises just so that they can change the itinerary?

I know that they can change the itinerary and everyone just have to accept it but strange that they can cancel so that they can change the itinerary and sell the new cruise for a higher price.

Same situation here with the cancelled cruise and the higher prices on the new itinerary. I have been emailing the senior vice president, who sent us the letter, daily. Her secretary has responded via phone but I am not giving up and would encourage others to do the same. The 10% discount does bring the price close to what it was. Also, the are not honoring my Taxday promotion.

Post to their Facebook page! Don't give up. Someone tried to tell me that the doubling of my balcony cabin fare was due to the toll for entering the Panama canal. It is 148 per cabin and does not come close the the extra 3k they are asking for. Further most of my promotions were no longer honored as well.

Post to their Facebook page! Don't give up. Someone tried to tell me that the doubling of my balcony cabin fare was due to the toll for entering the Panama canal. It is 148 per cabin and does not come close the the extra 3k they are asking for. Further most of my promotions were no longer honored as well.

I just sent an email to the president explaining how his senior vice president, nor her team, have responded. Sent him the entire email chain. I agree, in the policy, I can't see where they can cancel a cruise only to create a new itinerary.

How frustrating. I would love to know what insurance company folks speak of that will actually give you the $ back on the flights. I have yet to find such a plan. NCL booked airfare will cover it but with such highly restrictive fares and high prices it's rarely worth the risk to book flights with NCL. Independent insurance plans cover if the flight is missed ...for a covered reason... but they are not going to pay out on a flight that is booked and leaving as scheduled, regardless of the cruise line cancellation. The cruise line canceling your sailing is not a covered reason even in the cancel for any reason plans.

The $300 airfare change fees ncl offers are typically good for changes to another booked ncl cruise. Is there any other ncl cruises that are priced at what your willing to pay and fit into your vacation schedules? If so, and if NCL is willing to discount any re booked sailing at 10% that is probably your best bet. If they only offer the 10% and the airfare change fee on the new sun schedule at twice the price it's probably best to find a land based vacation or alternative line that fits with the flights.

I've successfully been able to transfer independently purchased AIG/travel guard cruise insurance to a different sailing by paying a transfer fee.

British Airways flights booked with Avios do have some hefty taxes and fees but the best part of booking with Avios is that you can cancel and have miles redeposited for a $50 fee. I try and use Avios for airfare with NCL cruises and also try and plan NCL cruises that have alternative options on different lines should NCL cancel my sailing. Cancellations less than 6 months out puts cruise alternatives often at the highest prices.

Best option is to book far out on air and cruise and place a deposit on another cruise that fits the flights. Sounds extreme but seems the best way to avoid getting priced out of the vacation you want because NCL decides to sell your vacation to someone willing to pay more than you did.

I just sent an email to the president explaining how his senior vice president, nor her team, have responded. Sent him the entire email chain. I agree, in the policy, I can't see where they can cancel a cruise only to create a new itinerary.

They can and they do. I actually read the contract in it's entirety and all the cruise lines have the ability to do the same thing. Sometimes they will price protect for another sailing around the same dates. The 10% off offer is certainly better than the previous standard, we canceled your cruise, here's $25 obc if you want to re book an alternative sailing.

I just sent an email to the president explaining how his senior vice president, nor her team, have responded.

I'm sure the intern will read that promptly, once he/she wades through the other countless emails of complaints that are sent.

They can and they do. I actually read the contract in it's entirety and all the cruise lines have the ability to do the same thing. Sometimes they will price protect for another sailing around the same dates. The 10% off offer is certainly better than the previous standard, we canceled your cruise, here's $25 obc if you want to re book an alternative sailing.

This is the exact same ship just hitting different ports on the exact same dates for the same duration. Are you saying Norwegian has reconfigured an itinerary completely and in the process making everyone rebook/reprice the the same ship for the same dates? I personally have never heard of such a thing, and the $25 OBC example you gave implies you have dealt with something like this before?

This is the exact same ship just hitting different ports on the exact same dates for the same duration. Are you saying Norwegian has reconfigured an itinerary completely and in the process making everyone rebook/reprice the the same ship for the same dates? I personally have never heard of such a thing, and the $25 OBC example you gave implies you have dealt with something like this before?

Ncl redeployed about half their fleet in 2016. Some passengers were given price and perk protection and just paid port fee difference. Some not so lucky. Back then the perks were udp with many passengers having unlimited speciality dinners, gratuity included in the ubp, lower dsc, various obc pkgs, $75 shore excursion credits instead of the $50, some had free dsc as a perk... I don’t recall how many ships had same dates different ports and how many were simply switched around but there’s several threads on the subject of various lengths and hundreds of pages on the major redeployment. Some people got the standard back then of $50 obc up to mini suites and $100 obc if their Haven full suite booking was cancelled, if they chose a new sailing at the new pricing and perks. With thousands of passengers who had vacations canceled, It was luck of the draw who got what but some ultimately got a great replacement deal. At the time I read the entire cruise contract for Ncl and other lines. They all have basically the same wording and can cancel, change sailings and need only give you your $ back. At the time I looked into it I found that all lines do this to some extent, mainly with charters. Nobody is usually happy with it but some lines really step up and try and keep the canceled passengers happy. Ncl has recently given some valid good will offers that seem to coincide with the newly formed public relations department. I would think a persistent, polite and reasonable, replacement request would be granted.

Ncl redeployed about half their fleet in 2016. Some passengers were given price and perk protection and just paid port fee difference. Some not so lucky. Back then the perks were udp with many passengers having unlimited speciality dinners, gratuity included in the ubp, lower dsc, various obc pkgs, $75 shore excursion credits instead of the $50, some had free dsc as a perk... I don’t recall how many ships had same dates different ports and how many were simply switched around but there’s several threads on the subject of various lengths and hundreds of pages on the major redeployment. Some people got the standard back then of $50 obc up to mini suites and $100 obc if their Haven full suite booking was cancelled, if they chose a new sailing at the new pricing and perks. With thousands of passengers who had vacations canceled, It was luck of the draw who got what but some ultimately got a great replacement deal. At the time I read the entire cruise contract for Ncl and other lines. They all have basically the same wording and can cancel, change sailings and need only give you your $ back. At the time I looked into it I found that all lines do this to some extent, mainly with charters. Nobody is usually happy with it but some lines really step up and try and keep the canceled passengers happy. Ncl has recently given some valid good will offers that seem to coincide with the newly formed public relations department. I would think a persistent, polite and reasonable, replacement request would be granted.

Thank you for the very thorough reply! I apparently wasn't using the right words in the search function to find those threads.

It saddens me that price protection is not being offered at all (only a 10% discount on cruises that are much more expensive than the original booking). I am now in the tough position of trying to find a comparable cruise cost wise for 6 cabins (very tough this late in the game) on a different cruise line for the same dates, or cancelling the family trip all together.

The NCL dedicated customer service department for this cancellation would not budge on honoring any of the original promo perks or coming close to the original price. If you have any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Thank you for the very thorough reply! I apparently wasn't using the right words in the search function to find those threads.

It saddens me that price protection is not being offered at all (only a 10% discount on cruises that are much more expensive than the original booking). I am now in the tough position of trying to find a comparable cruise cost wise for 6 cabins (very tough this late in the game) on a different cruise line for the same dates, or cancelling the family trip all together.

The NCL dedicated customer service department for this cancellation would not budge on honoring any of the original promo perks or coming close to the original price. If you have any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

The breakaway out of Nola or the Epic out of Orlando have some very attractive pricing and perk offers around same date as your canceled cruise. With an additional 10% off offer and up to $300 per person for airfare change fees, I’d think if your party could agree quickly on a date you could get a great vacation for potentially less $ than you originally had.

The original sailing isn’t an option anymore and I know it is frustrating but getting furious doesn’t get you the vacation back. I’m saying this from experience. I went ahead with continuing to give Ncl vacation $ and ended up having some fantastic vacations as a result. That worked better for me than walking away angry. Since this actually could happen on any cruise line, swearing off Ncl isn’t going to solve the potential for it to happen again on another line.

If not crazy about Panama Canal sailing I’d forgot about the sun new itinerary. The port fees alone are very high for Canal sailings and there’s nothing Ncl would likely do on those fees.

Good luck and remember you likely have a deadline for working with that displacement department. If you’re still up for sailing with Ncl, best to figure out what sailing alternative is feasible and then call them.

As much as I usually defend NCL, in this case the whole thing does suck. I am still trying to understand why they are doing this. I can't seem to justify it and usually I do see the other side of the story.

As much as I usually defend NCL, in this case the whole thing does suck. I am still trying to understand why they are doing this. I can't seem to justify it and usually I do see the other side of the story.

Many reasons why. Perhaps the ship has been partially chartered. I’ve been on a sailing that was over half chartered and it wasn’t ideal. Regardless of the reason the ultimately did it because they can and they did it for profit. They’re currently selling a Jade cruise for the med while also selling it as an advertised music charter with conflicting dates and ports. These things happen because charters make the corporation big $. It doesn’t seem right to be selling folks their dream vacations that Ncl knows isn’t going to happen but I guess they have their reasons.

The most fair solution in my opinion would be a choice of a few similar sailings with price and perk protection and some meaningful obc for the troubles. $25/$50 is not meaningful. And also give booked customers an option to book any sailing within a certain time frame at a meaningful percentage off if price protection alternatives don’t work for displaced passengers. I’m all for a corporation making $ but at the same time I don’t see what the hardship is in stepping up and taking care of displaced passengers. Just build the loss into the profit of the replacement sailing and save the brand name/keep customers in the process.

When I’ve talked to the displacement department in the past I found that some reps had a little more experience and ability to save my vacation than others who simply read the instructions and have zero desire to help you salvage the vacation.

Many reasons why. Perhaps the ship has been partially chartered. I’ve been on a sailing that was over half chartered and it wasn’t ideal. Regardless of the reason the ultimately did it because they can and they did it for profit. They’re currently selling a Jade cruise for the med while also selling it as an advertised music charter with conflicting dates and ports. These things happen because charters make the corporation big $. It doesn’t seem right to be selling folks their dream vacations that Ncl knows isn’t going to happen but I guess they have their reasons.

The most fair solution in my opinion would be a choice of a few similar sailings with price and perk protection and some meaningful obc for the troubles. $25/$50 is not meaningful. And also give booked customers an option to book any sailing within a certain time frame at a meaningful percentage off if price protection alternatives don’t work for displaced passengers. I’m all for a corporation making $ but at the same time I don’t see what the hardship is in stepping up and taking care of displaced passengers. Just build the loss into the profit of the replacement sailing and save the brand name/keep customers in the process.

When I’ve talked to the displacement department in the past I found that some reps had a little more experience and ability to save my vacation than others who simply read the instructions and have zero desire to help you salvage the vacation.

Well said! I would happily deal with the new itinerary if the price hadn't doubled, or swapped to a different ship if I could have kept all of my existing promotions/pricing perks. Instead I am having to start over closer to sailing when prices are trending up, and the 10% discount offered doesn't make it worth it for me.

Well said! I would happily deal with the new itinerary if the price hadn't doubled, or swapped to a different ship if I could have kept all of my existing promotions/pricing perks. Instead I am having to start over closer to sailing when prices are trending up, and the 10% discount offered doesn't make it worth it for me.

Did you check out the Epic 11/24-12/5 out of Orlando or the Breakaway 11/25-12/6 out of NOLA? Not sure what your original price and perks were but both those sailings have the take all five offers plus latitude bonus and obc. If Ncl gives you 10% off those look like a great deal.

Why are they doing it? GREED

I'm not the smartest individual in the world but have an assumption on how businesses operate. NCL Sun received very poor publicity in April and each customer was given 100% fare compensation. NCL Sun was then refurbished through the restoration program, which I imagine might have cost NCL more money than anticipated. Rather than assume those costs, it would be easier to direct them to the consumer. That is why I believe it was cancelled, a new itinerary was created, and they will make more money.

Why are they doing it? GREED

I don't disagree with you one bit. I do realize other lines do similar things, it just seems so unfair. We are at the mercy of the cruise line. I know if this were to happen on our Feb cruise I would really be pissed!!!

Did you check out the Epic 11/24-12/5 out of Orlando or the Breakaway 11/25-12/6 out of NOLA? Not sure what your original price and perks were but both those sailings have the take all five offers plus latitude bonus and obc. If Ncl gives you 10% off those look like a great deal.

Thank you for the recommendation! While we have already sailed on the Epic before, we are moving ahead with the 11/24 sailing out of Orlando. In my initial searches we had shrugged it off having been on it before, but see it already has been refurbished.

Never mind, I found it - at least $650 per person more than the previous itinerary on the same ship, same dates, with fewer perks.

When our last cruise on the Sun was cancelled, they replaced three 11-day Mexican Riviera itineraries with two 15-day Panama Canal cruises. That left three days free, right? They did all that to make room for a three-day charter. Yup.

We ended up switching to the Panama Canal cruise, keeping all our perks. No increase in price, and we didn't have to pay more for the gratuities we'd already paid. But many details were up in the air for over a month. I was told the delay was because they had to set up the new ports.

This is the main reason we cruise mostly on Princess now.

Edited by BabsinTX
Adding another sentence or two.