Just got off the Epic... What the Heck?!

DH and I recently finished our Western Med cruise on the Epic. Thoughts below...

I have no idea what people are complaining about with the Epic! I'll grant that this was my first cruise, but honestly, I had a fantastic time!

I did a crazy amount of research before we embarked and kept my eye out for all the things that everyone seems to complain about. I was fully expecting to feel crowded with so many people on board but I never did. The elevators were rarely a problem and I didn't miss having one in the middle of the ship. Every staff member I encountered was extremely nice and helpful! I felt very well taken care of.

The food was fantastic! DH and I had 5 meals at specialty restaurants so we mostly ate there, but even the buffet wasn't bad at all. I think a lot of people probably find it hard to understand just how difficult it is to cook for so many people in such a short span of time and that's where too high of expectations come from with the buffet. We ate at Le Bistro, Moderno, Cagney's, and Teppenyaki. We ate at Taste for the MDR but never ate at the Manhattan Room as the menu was the same as Taste.

The drinks were delicious! I'll admit that sometimes I had to wait awhile at the bar, but I was a bartender in college and I know how difficult it can be to keep up even when you're running your butt off. The bartenders were always as fast as they could be and never cut corners to put out a great drink. If the bar looked full, I simply walked the very short distance to the next nearest one where the bartenders weren't so swamped.

I never planned to write a full review but I just wanted to let anyone who is sailing the Epic soon and might be a little nervous (like I was) at the bad reviews, to not worry. As long as you're not expecting to be treated like you're sailing on your own private yacht, you'll be more than satisfied.

If anyone has any questions about the Epic or this sailing I can do my best to answer. Unfortunately, DH threw away the dailies before I had a chance to get pictures so I can't supply those. Happy sailing!

Thanks for posting this! We just got off the NCL Jade and were considering the Epic for a cruise, but had heard the same thing regarding crowding. Did you happen to have teenagers with you? I am wondering what their opinions were about the number of people. I assume they would like the additional activities on the Epic that are not available on the Jade.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting this! We just got off the NCL Jade and were considering the Epic for a cruise, but had heard the same thing regarding crowding. Did you happen to have teenagers with you? I am wondering what their opinions were about the number of people. I assume they would like the additional activities on the Epic that are not available on the Jade.

Thanks.

We didn't have teenagers. DH and I were by ourselves. But I saw a lot of teenagers onboard and none of them ever looked bored!

Thanks for the post! Did you find that you had sufficient time to enjoy the ship, even with a port-heavy itinerary?

I wish we could have had a little more time on the ship. We didn't have time to do hardly any onboard activities. We had the one sea day and that was nice but the poolside was a bit crowded. To make up for it, we didn't go ashore in Cannes but enjoyed the ship instead. That was one of my favorite days. There was hardly anyone there and we went down the water slides a bunch of times, read our books in the loungers while having drinks, and then I got a manicure in the spa. We also made sure to attend the White Hote/Glow party and had a blast! I would suggest maybe taking one day during the cruise to not go ashore and just relax and have fun. Then again, if you're the active vacationer type, then the loaded itinerary might be perfect!

I agree with Kayla....we were on Epic Western Med. at the beginning of May and it is a great ship. I thought the meals were good and the crew couldn't have been nicer. We had the 3 meal package so we went to Cagney's twice and Moderno once, and also ate at both main dining rooms and O'Sheehans...and buffet for breakfast every day and a couple of lunches...all very good. I would have liked at least one more sea day to enjoy the ship but we went for the ports and the days were very long and exhausting in Italy especially. We loved Cannes, went to Antibes with a tour and then explored in Cannes, so I wouldn't skip anything, as I may not get there again. The ship layout is quite different from others....but the whole point for me is to see "different" and that's why we travel. This was not my first cruise but my 19th, and we try to never repeat a ship, and have tried several cruise lines as well. The shows on Epic are great and there were so many different activities all the time. If you are a traveler who likes to explore and doesn't need everything just so, you will have a great time.

Thanks for the input, Patty and Kayla! I was thinking of skipping excursions in Cannes and Palma Mallorca actually but I guess we will see. I’ve got lots of time to change my mind several more time! :)

Another EPIC fan wanting to give a cheer. On this packed itinerary you don't get a lot of time to spend on the ship, but I have never understood complaints about food and drink. There are probably a few more queues in the middle of summer - outside the school holidays the atmosphere is quieter, but that would be the same on any ship.

As to skipping Cannes or Palma - hmm. Cannes is one of my favourite ports. It is the starting point for some long days - a train ride to Nice and a trip to Monaco are at the top of my list, but when we get there I like to wait until the queues for the tenders are less frantic and then just go and walk along the seafront, have a swim if it is hot, look at the celebrity handprints outside the film festival building, look at the very expensive motors and buy a pastry. There is a market to explore (the fruit and veg are really expensive) and some decent shops. After a couple of hours it is easy to wander back to the tenders and get back on board for a late lunch and still enjoy the ship.

Palma has a lot to offer but a couple of hours longer would help. We do always take the bus (public) into town and walk back - but I suspect that there are a few people that stay on board.

I have no cruises on the Epic planned this year, but there will be lots more!!

thanks for this - we go Sunday and so excited. its our first NCL cruise as we have only done 2 RCI before.

we are flying into Barcelona the morning of our cruise (no option to fly on the Saturday from belfast unfortunately) so am hoping for no delays - that's my only worry :-)

It was your first cruise, that's why. Once you do more, you start making comparisons and thinking "ugh, for the money, this other one is better." And then you have people that are in that "1st cruise" mood every time they sail. Just different personalities. Hopefully you are the latter :)

DH and I recently finished our Western Med cruise on the Epic. Thoughts below...

I have no idea what people are complaining about with the Epic! I'll grant that this was my first cruise, but honestly, I had a fantastic time!

I did a crazy amount of research before we embarked and kept my eye out for all the things that everyone seems to complain about. I was fully expecting to feel crowded with so many people on board but I never did. The elevators were rarely a problem and I didn't miss having one in the middle of the ship. Every staff member I encountered was extremely nice and helpful! I felt very well taken care of.

The food was fantastic! DH and I had 5 meals at specialty restaurants so we mostly ate there, but even the buffet wasn't bad at all. I think a lot of people probably find it hard to understand just how difficult it is to cook for so many people in such a short span of time and that's where too high of expectations come from with the buffet. We ate at Le Bistro, Moderno, Cagney's, and Teppenyaki. We ate at Taste for the MDR but never ate at the Manhattan Room as the menu was the same as Taste.

The drinks were delicious! I'll admit that sometimes I had to wait awhile at the bar, but I was a bartender in college and I know how difficult it can be to keep up even when you're running your butt off. The bartenders were always as fast as they could be and never cut corners to put out a great drink. If the bar looked full, I simply walked the very short distance to the next nearest one where the bartenders weren't so swamped.

I never planned to write a full review but I just wanted to let anyone who is sailing the Epic soon and might be a little nervous (like I was) at the bad reviews, to not worry. As long as you're not expecting to be treated like you're sailing on your own private yacht, you'll be more than satisfied.

If anyone has any questions about the Epic or this sailing I can do my best to answer. Unfortunately, DH threw away the dailies before I had a chance to get pictures so I can't supply those. Happy sailing!

would pretty mush agree with you. As for mega ships, I have to admit they are not our thing and we did like the Breakaway a little better than the Epic, but overall I have no idea why the gripes about the Epic for those who like mega ship sailing.

thanks for this post! Going in August for 1st time and was worried about some reviews but research is key! Any tips for stuff to pack that's a bit different? Stuff for the room? Thanks.

I'm a notorious over packer so my best advice would be to not over pack! ;p

There were a couple things I did find helpful, however. We bought a pack of magnetic hooks to hang swimsuits, raincoats, etc. in the room and leave the other hooks already in the room for towels. Here's a link to the ones I bought.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L75YPRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also brought an extra card (similar to a hotel room key) for our lights. You need to have a room key in a slot to make the electricity in your room work, but I know I'd forget my room key in the slot all the time. So I grabbed one of those rewards cards that you get from just about everywhere and left that in the slot the whole trip.

Other than that, just bring your patience and a sense of humor. :)

It was your first cruise, that's why. Once you do more, you start making comparisons and thinking "ugh, for the money, this other one is better." And then you have people that are in that "1st cruise" mood every time they sail. Just different personalities. Hopefully you are the latter :)

I totally agree......I must be in that "1st cruise" mood category, because each trip is exciting and even on a few ships I wasn't crazy about, I found something to like and enjoy...maybe just the ports but each cruise has been worth it for the experience.....Patty

Thanks ordering them now!

I'm a notorious over packer so my best advice would be to not over pack! ;p

There were a couple things I did find helpful, however. We bought a pack of magnetic hooks to hang swimsuits, raincoats, etc. in the room and leave the other hooks already in the room for towels. Here's a link to the ones I bought.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L75YPRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also brought an extra card (similar to a hotel room key) for our lights. You need to have a room key in a slot to make the electricity in your room work, but I know I'd forget my room key in the slot all the time. So I grabbed one of those rewards cards that you get from just about everywhere and left that in the slot the whole trip.

Other than that, just bring your patience and a sense of humor. :)

Great to hear a positive review. I was getting a little concerned but also have done heaps of research. Would love to hear about you embarkation in Barcelona? Was it busy? How long was the process. Doing the TA in the haven, was wondering how busy it was for you.

Thanks

Great to hear a positive review. I was getting a little concerned but also have done heaps of research. Would love to hear about you embarkation in Barcelona? Was it busy? How long was the process. Doing the TA in the haven, was wondering how busy it was for you.

Thanks

The embarkation in Barcelona really wasn't that bad. It maybe took an hour and a half or so in total. There's lots of space and they really try to keep things moving. But we had all of our paperwork ready to go and printed out so that helped.

I'm trying to remember what time we arrived and I want to say it was around 11:00 or noon because we took a shuttle from our hotel.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

How is the new entertainment team on the jade working out? I was on for last performance of the old one in late May. The Epic is larger and it doesn't have a spinnaker lounge which is a major problem. They are try to do everything out of the comedy club but it is not nearly as big. You also have to book the shows which we didn't know when we went on in 2015. O Sheehans is much larger but gets busy. People did seem to wonder around the ship aimlessly as well. I would go on the epic again wouldn't mind a TA but I don't think my father would.

Off Epic last month. It is one large ship. I have decided I prefer the older smaller ones. It was still great. The staff were excellent, the food delicious, and the shows outstanding...from the ones you have to pay for to the free ones. We did experiencing crowding at breakfast time in the buffet. We never tried the dining rooms, so uncertain what that was like. The reason for the crowding on the first day could have something to do with the inclement weather, so everyone wanted to eat inside.

And beware if you are going to use the self-serve icecream machines. We were going to, then something that never even occurred to us, happened. We watched a woman, who had made her cone, and eaten much of the icecream of her cone, put that same cone back under the ice cream dispenser and reloaded the same cone. A different version of double dipping. If her cone taps the top of the ice cream dispenser......

other than that....a terrific trip...very busy one...always on the go...didnt stay up late many nights to do the late onboard happenings because we were too tired and getting ready for the next day's outings. wouldnt change a memory though.

The embarkation in Barcelona really wasn't that bad. It maybe took an hour and a half or so in total. There's lots of space and they really try to keep things moving. But we had all of our paperwork ready to go and printed out so that helped.

I'm trying to remember what time we arrived and I want to say it was around 11:00 or noon because we took a shuttle from our hotel.

Hope this helps!

Thank you sure does. Now all I have to do is wait (and save) for my trip.

Thanks again