Advice For Tipping

MarcyLondon

Your gratuities are usually either included or added on at end of cruise, I think its $18 pp per day, but not definite on that. We usually tip extra to a few around the ship who have gone above and beyond. Having said that the staff in my opinion are all excellent.

What is your gratuity policy?

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience, the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account.

• For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $16.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $23.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Marcie, we look at how much we use his services during the cruise. Does he provide a number of in suite meals, secure additional speciality restaurant reservations, any number of things that add to your enjoyment of the cruise. Looking at that is how we determine the amount of additional gratuity.

That amount really is something only you can determine. A note of thanks and whatever you choose to leave will be appreciated.

If you get to know your butler and stewards, you will probably want to provide an additional tip. Obviously, it's based on the quality of the service they provide. Many of them send that tip money home for their families, especially those who have children at home who are being raised by relatives. I love hearing their stories. In the end, we tip from the heart.

Keep in mind that on a 8 night cruise you are already tipping $112 extra for a butler. This is not for a larger room, it is notated specifically for a butler.

Tip beyond that what you are comfortable with.

I have been repeatedly told by staff that I have gotten to know a bit that, although individual tips are always appreciated :D, the thing that matters most to them is being mentioned favorably in passenger reviews. Those review comments are apparently a major factor in promotions and, I think, also contribute to bonuses.

Promotions are worth more $$ to them than any individual tip we might provide. Exceptional service seems to be well rewarded by Oceania. One person we keep running into has progressed from Sommelier to Matre d' to dining room manager. Another from room steward to supervisor. Each of these people provided service worth comment by us and by others. They continue to do so.

Robbie

I agree about the comment cards are important, but if you get really good service we believe and extra gratuity(s) is I line. After all it's your vacation and if someone made it better and you enjoyed the time why not.

Honestly I did not think the butler was included in the automatic tipping. We have always had automatic tipping, however, we have always handled the butler in a generous manner as well the the room attendants. They really go that extra mile.

Marcie, we look at how much we use his services during the cruise. Does he provide a number of in suite meals, secure additional speciality restaurant reservations, any number of things that add to your enjoyment of the cruise. Looking at that is how we determine the amount of additional gratuity.

That amount really is something only you can determine. A note of thanks and whatever you choose to leave will be appreciated.

I totally agree with this approach

If we are in an oceania suite dining in many nights and inviting guests we give a very substantial tip

Recently on crystal we never dined in the suite because we wanted to participate in events and go to shows. Accordingly we tipped the butler less

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree with this approach

If we are in an oceania suite dining in many nights and inviting guests we give a very substantial tip

Recently on crystal we never dined in the suite because we wanted to participate in events and go to shows. Accordingly we tipped the butler less

Your missing out if you have a suite and don't dine in it. You don't miss events or shows by dining in the suite. On the sail away out of New York, we had the best view ever by having dinner in the suite. It's early and enjoyable evening.

I disagree. The suites on crystal are too small to have a wonderful dinner. In an oc on oceania it’s enjoyable. We do not enjoy dining in cramped spaces. Crystal suites are unsuitable imo

Your missing out if you have a suite and don't dine in it. You don't miss events or shows by dining in the suite. On the sail away out of New York, we had the best view ever by having dinner in the suite. It's early and enjoyable evening.

We do not like in suite dining at all! Much prefer the ambience of a restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We tried something a few years ago that we had the heard of but never done. We tipped the butler in advance. I believe that it had a positive effect and it satisfied my curiosity about human nature as it relates to this service.

We don’t do this anymore and I don’t believe it would be effective if it was commonplace, but it was interesting.

We tried something a few years ago that we had the heard of but never done. We tipped the butler in advance. I believe that it had a positive effect and it satisfied my curiosity about human nature as it relates to this service.

We don’t do this anymore and I don’t believe it would be effective if it was commonplace, but it was interesting.

and the results were ??

Was this on Oceania or another line?

Curious minds want to know :halo:

Oceania Riviera med cruise.

What were your findings?

You tipped the butler in advance then the next cruise you did not but the service was different or not? :confused:

What were your findings?

You tipped the butler in advance then the next cruise you did not but the service was different or not? :confused:

Of course, the next cruise would have likely involved a different butler. Hence any comparison would be almost useless as not all butlers are the same, regardless of when they are tipped.

Of course, the next cruise would have likely involved a different butler. Hence any comparison would be almost useless as not all butlers are the same, regardless of when they are tipped.

True

just wondering if the social experiment paid off :halo:

I love it when people make statements like that but are reluctant to tell the details

Oceania Riviera med cruise.

Hard to say with certainty how much better the butler performed, but he was the best we have ever had (Raja). Can only compare Oceania and Regent from personal experience.

Very proactive. With permission he brought the complimentary bottle of champagne to the MDR and did the initial pour. Seemed to learn our habits and likes, and respond accordingly.

In general just seemed to be just a little more attentive.

We have not experienced anything above Penthouse category.

In the fall we will be on 3 b2b cruises that were combined as a 31 night cruise by Oceania. How are tips handled for this type, at the end of each segment or at end of cruise? Should we do the extra tip at end of each segment?

In the fall we will be on 3 b2b cruises that were combined as a 31 night cruise by Oceania. How are tips handled for this type, at the end of each segment or at end of cruise? Should we do the extra tip at end of each segment?

The daily Gratuity will be added each segment but your CC will not be billed until the last day or this was the way it used to be done

You will get statements at the end of each segment

We tip extra at the end of each segment

some crew may be leaving the ship

Personal choice though