Oceanview Cabins or Interior Rooms?

MCruiser30

Depends on how often you like to cruise, how much you like to spend on excursions, entertainment, beverages, etc. We like to cruise a lot. I love knowing I have a balcony. But we find we seldom use it. Too cool. Too hot. Too sunny. Too expensive. I book a balcony when it is reasonable enough. but more often I book insides. EM

Worth the extra money, or not so much. Real world advice appreciated.

It is always personal preference but here is my experience:

For me if it means the difference of being on a cruise or not, than I can go with an inside if that fits better in my overall budget. I think it depends largely on your itinerary and what there might be to "see" while at sea or in port. It also depends on how much time you think you may spend in your cabin. We travel with friends who will not book anything other than a Balcony - they enjoy sitting out there at all times of the day - they just like the sound of the water and the open air. They prefer the solitude of their cabin/balcony while we like to be out and about on the ship enjoying various entertainment and the pools. We have done Inside, OB Ocean View , Ocean View and Balconies all for different reasons.

IMHO a window or balcony is necessary when you are traveling someplace like Alaska or the Panama Canal and there is something to see all the time while spending time in your cabin on sea days and in port. In Hawaii, we had an OB View - the ports are "industrial" and not pretty to look at and we cruised between islands at night so not much to see either. On a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean where you may be in a different port each day - the inside was fine as we spent very little time in our cabin except for sleeping and again you move from port to port in the evening.

So I believe you have to think about where you are going, what is there to see from the window/balcony and how much time you will actually spend in your cabin, VS spending those extra $$ on other things like drink packages, specialty dining, and excursions.

Hope that helps! No matter what category you book, you eat the same food, drink the same beverages, enjoy all the ship has to offer and get the same wonderful treatment from all the staff:cool:

That's true..everyone get the same everything, no matter if you're in an inside or balcony (Of course, suites get more goodies...but that wasn't the question!). I love a balcony because I despise using lights in the daytime. My mother will not pay for a window, let alone a balcony...says it's a waste of money! To each their own!

Only going to consider the two options the OP has asked about and presented.

Sorry I can't imagine being in what I would consider a walkin closet or small interior bathroom for a week's cruise..or really any length of cruise.

Just my opinion.

Only going to consider the two options the OP has asked about and presented.

Sorry I can't imagine being in what I would consider a walkin closet or small interior bathroom for a week's cruise..or really any length of cruise.

Just my opinion.

I think the OP was looking for “real world” examples ...if you haven’t been in an inside it’s hard to imagine but we found the bathroom no smaller than the ocean views we have had. We have had some very nice inside cabins and never felt the lack of space or storage. The biggest difference is having daylight in your cabin to help you wake up in the morning! If you are a heavy sleeper, you may have a hard time waking up in the dark...I typically switch on the TV to the channel with the bow camera....that’s our “window”. I have read that some people leave it on all night so the know when the sun has come up[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We usually stay in interiors for the savings

Sure an outside or balcony is much better, but with cruise and flight cost we prefer to save. We don't spend much time on the stateroom. On our last cruise on Royal Allure we did stay in promenade which wasn't much more. That was fun. And we did splurge on Boardwalk Balcony on Symphony but with the perks that came with it wasn't much more.

Enjoy whatever you book.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I will choose either an inside or oceanview depends the difference in cabin size/location, other amenities and prices. For example, on one ship an inside was 175 sq ft and an oceanview is 175 sq ft, price difference of $149 for a week then I may not do it. But on another ship, inside was 158 sq ft but oceanview is 200 sq ft with a panoramic view on upper deck then even for $299 more I may still go for it.

I have been in cabins with balcony, with obstructed view, ocean view and interior. They are all exactly the same size and much the same layout.

The only thing with the interior was we slept way way past breakfast time and almost to lunch time. It’s like midnight 24/7 with the lights out, BUT,

A really good idea I just read on here was leaving the tv on the channel with the camera over the bow all night and when it’s morning/daylight, you’ll know - Your own private window that no one can peer into

Happy cruising - go the cheapest option they are all the same and you only sleep in there. See you onboard on the 6th August

It is always personal preference but here is my experience:

For me if it means the difference of being on a cruise or not, than I can go with an inside if that fits better in my overall budget. I think it depends largely on your itinerary and what there might be to "see" while at sea or in port. It also depends on how much time you think you may spend in your cabin. We travel with friends who will not book anything other than a Balcony - they enjoy sitting out there at all times of the day - they just like the sound of the water and the open air. They prefer the solitude of their cabin/balcony while we like to be out and about on the ship enjoying various entertainment and the pools. We have done Inside, OB Ocean View , Ocean View and Balconies all for different reasons.

IMHO a window or balcony is necessary when you are traveling someplace like Alaska or the Panama Canal and there is something to see all the time while spending time in your cabin on sea days and in port. In Hawaii, we had an OB View - the ports are "industrial" and not pretty to look at and we cruised between islands at night so not much to see either. On a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean where you may be in a different port each day - the inside was fine as we spent very little time in our cabin except for sleeping and again you move from port to port in the evening.

So I believe you have to think about where you are going, what is there to see from the window/balcony and how much time you will actually spend in your cabin, VS spending those extra $$ on other things like drink packages, specialty dining, and excursions.

Hope that helps! No matter what category you book, you eat the same food, drink the same beverages, enjoy all the ship has to offer and get the same wonderful treatment from all the staff:cool:

I agree, oceanview or balcony is lovely, however, if it means the difference between going on a cruise or not...... does it really matter what room you have? As long as you are onboard and enjoying the ship and the ports. Book what you feel comfortable paying for. And then ENJOY the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is truly personal preference. We always buy the cheapest room on board. Not because we have to but because a room is just a room to us. We don’t spend much time there.

Several times we’ve been upgraded to an ocean view. Never affected how much we enjoyed the cruise or how much time we spent in the room.

Figure out what’s important to you and then decide which room you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first cruise I had a balcony to the inside of the ship. It was great for my 80 year old mother that enjoyed sitting outside our room watching everything. Since then, I have had window rooms and have been fine. My trip next year, I'm doing a solo interior room with NCL. I have found that I really don't spend much time in my room other than to sleep and get ready. On the ships I've been on, I've found quiet outdoor spots to sit in the shade and enjoy myself. I don't go on cruises to isolate myself in my cabin.

Usually the OV cabins are on the lower decks. We prefer an upper deck between 2 floors of cabins, preferably on the staircase near the fitness center. If the cabin size is equal we would choose the inside. The fact that the inside is less expensive is just an added bonus.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Forums mobile app

Never wanted a private balcony but have had plenty of windows. Sometimes you can find a good Deal on an "obstructed view" and the room is usually slightly bigger and almost same cost as interior and the view is still ok.

That being said, I prefer saving all the money on those windows and balconies since we usually end up doing excursions and the cheers program. We tend to be in bed by 2am and up by 7am and spend our time on the deck or roaming the boat. I dont see a need to get a balcony or window unless like a previous poster said, you cruise the Alaskan or panama canal.

I will also say, getting the obstucted view led us to finding out about the "secret/more private" front decks which is a great view in the evening or even night when the moon is reflecting off the ocean.

Waking up to a sunrise or seeing the waves is an added memory. Couple years down the road that money will be long gone and forgotten but the memory is going to stick with you. I say go for it unless that money is going to fund a bigger memory like an excursion.

I like to cruise on the cheaper side. My first cruise we had OV but we were upgraded for free because the ship kept having issues, it had originally broke down out to sea and our upcoming cruise was affected 2x. Then my second cruise, I got interior, which I like the darkness. My upcoming cruise in July, my husband (his first cruise) wants an extended aft balcony. I'm cruising again in October, and have a picture window walk way view, was upgraded for $18 from an interior room. The rate I'm going, I will just try every type of room. LOL! But I'm okay with booking an interior room.

I had an interior once. Personally, I hated losing my sense of time and oversleeping since there was no daylight coming in. Since then, I have booked ocean view or balcony. The only exception is an upcoming cruise on Ovation of the Seas. I only made this exception because they have the interior virtual balconies, so you can get a view of what is outside/get daylight senses.

If you don't mind losing sunlight and sense of time, then interior would definitely be a great money saver. Plus, you can book interior and keep an eye on the prices. Who knows, closer to the cruise you may be able to upgrade to an ocean view for nothing or very little.