Second cruise recommendation for Swedish family

p2piter

Hi,

We're a Swedish family with two parents and two kids (6 and 8 years old) looking for a cruise recommendation. We did our very first cruise early March this year in Eastern Caribbean on Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas and absolutely loved it, both everything onboard as well as the stops on St Marteens, San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Labadeee (Haiti).

We took the largest cruise ship to go "all in" on trying out cruising and now need advise on what to try next. The Mediterranean is closer than the Caribbean, but the experience is more important than the distance, and our two kids much more prefer a vacation full of sun and water activities than walking around in cities.

Should we do another RCL cruise in another part of the Caribbean or do you recommend something different? If we do another similar RCL cruise it would be nice with some beach stops as we "know" the boat.

Thank you so much in advance.

Nobody is going to be able to make this decision for you as we don't know you. You are right, the Med has different criteria- it is very port intensive with long port days.

I would suggest cruising with RCI, no matter where you cruise, as you are comfortable with them, and happy with their product. The Med is wonderful...if that is where you want to go, GO!

May I also suggest Norwegian if you like Royal?

Their bigger ships are not as big as Harmony but do have a lot to do.Similar in many ways and can also be cheaper with their packages they offer Europeans.

If you are into beaches and things and still want to stay in Europe for ease/cost then choose a Greek isles cruise although many kids do enjoy European cruises all over. My friend did a 11 day Baltic cruise with her 8 year old and husband and her daughter loved it.

European ports can have a multitude of options and are not just city sites...especially in the Med.

Hi,

We're a Swedish family with two parents and two kids (6 and 8 years old) looking for a cruise recommendation. We did our very first cruise early March this year in Eastern Caribbean on Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas and absolutely loved it, both everything onboard as well as the stops on St Marteens, San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Labadeee (Haiti).

We took the largest cruise ship to go "all in" on trying out cruising and now need advise on what to try next. The Mediterranean is closer than the Caribbean, but the experience is more important than the distance, and our two kids much more prefer a vacation full of sun and water activities than walking around in cities.

Should we do another RCL cruise in another part of the Caribbean or do you recommend something different? If we do another similar RCL cruise it would be nice with some beach stops as we "know" the boat.

Thank you so much in advance.

If the ship is more important than the ports you can choose a ship with many water activities and stay on the ship on port days in the Mediterranean.

May I also suggest Norwegian if you like Royal?

Their bigger ships are not as big as Harmony but do have a lot to do.Similar in many ways and can also be cheaper with their packages they offer Europeans.

NCL isn't cheaper then Royal, never found a similar NCL cruise that have been cheaper then Royal since 2011.

They may be cheaper in the U.S but not in Sweden. I sailed on Epic back in 2011 and have been comparing Royal and NCL since then, but Royal always have been cheaper. Often a lot cheaper.

NCL isn't cheaper then Royal, never found a similar NCL cruise that have been cheaper then Royal since 2011.

They may be cheaper in the U.S but not in Sweden. I sailed on Epic back in 2011 and have been comparing Royal and NCL since then, but Royal always have been cheaper. Often a lot cheaper.

I'm not from the US.I have found quite the opposite on 2/3rds of all comparisons and I see the European prices as you do. Also, I imagine the OP is sailing in the summer holidays as I do and prices can rocket or get competitive at that time. NCL's packages often make this possible.As I said, it can be cheaper. My friend just found a NCL Jade Norway 7 day for £689 in the summer holidays including drinks/grats/some internet...any 7 day Royal leaving the UK is way more than that at that time.

On a small note, it may be easier if you post in English to people's queries on CC so if any other poster has a similar query they can read your reply without going to Googletranslate.

Edited by Velvetwater

OP, I see that your first cruise was in March. What time of year did you want to cruise next? Most of the mainstream cruiselines concentrate their attention on the Caribbean in winter/early spring, then on the Med from late spring thru early fall. Of course you can sail in these places "off season" but your choices in itineraries and ships will be limited.

If you want to cruise again in the same season as last, you still have a LOT of Caribbean yet to see. You might find a new choice of Eastern islands if you sail out of San Juan. Our favorite Caribbean itineraries are the Southern ones that include the ABC islands. Nothing wrong with staying with RCCL if you enjoy their ships. You can start to explore other lines when you see itineraries that pique your interest.

I'm not from the US.I have found quite the opposite on 2/3rds of all comparisons and I see the European prices as you do. Also, I imagine the OP is sailing in the summer holidays as I do and prices can rocket or get competitive at that time. NCL's packages often make this possible.As I said, it can be cheaper. My friend just found a NCL Jade Norway 7 day for £689 in the summer holidays including drinks/grats/some internet...any 7 day Royal leaving the UK is way more than that at that time.

On a small note, it may be easier if you post in English to people's queries on CC so if any other poster has a similar query they can read your reply without going to Googletranslate.[/quote]

I'm not sure if the bolded is for the OP or the poster you quoted, but I see both in English. Perhaps you need to adjust a setting?

On a small note, it may be easier if you post in English to people's queries on CC so if any other poster has a similar query they can read your reply without going to Googletranslate.[/quote]

I'm not sure if the bolded is for the OP or the poster you quoted, but I see both in English. Perhaps you need to adjust a setting?

The post itself I was describing seems to have disappeared? Oh well...we are not all lucky enough to speak 2 languages!

I just didn't want anyone to miss any important info Kim may have said.

It does seem like posts sometimes just go "poof" - maybe that's to make up for double posts;)

Thanks for looking out for us English only readers.

Also other Baltic nation cruisers than may have similar concerns to the OP and can only speak english and their other native languages:). I genuinely wish I could speak 2 or more languages..I must learn!

We had a really regular cruiser floating about from Denmark a few moons ago...wonder where he went.

I did a longer answer in Swedish since I was on my phone and OP said that they where from Sweden. It takes me a lot longer to write on my phone in english then it does on the lap top. Not sure if p2piter had the time to read it or not but basicaly it was a post about why I think that the Caribbean cruises are a lot better then cruising in the Med. The coast are more or less the same, the ports of call are a lot better IMO.

I think you've made it pretty clear that the kids aren't interested in or ready for a Med cruise, which is port-intensive and completely exhausting, in a good way! You've asked for advice and this is mine: since you are close to the Med anyway, you could certainly do a land vacation at a later date when the kids are old enough to understand and appreciate what they are seeing. Let's be honest, young children can often set the tone for a trip and if they are tired and miserable from walking or being on tours they don't really care about, it's not very pleasant (yes, I am also a parent :) ).

I would recommend a cruise to a sunny destination since you had a great time on your first cruise. I expect Harmony was more expensive as she is newer, but look around for some other deals on RCI ships in the Caribbean. Can you have a local travel agent help you?

Wow, thank you all for your input never thought a forum would yield so much feedback! :D

You've helped us understand that we should go back to the Caribbean and we'll hold off on Mediterranean until either our kids start appreciating city sightseeing or we find an opportunity to go without them ;). We're most likely looking to go February-March time frame.

We'll likely choose between Royal and NCL based on price and itenerary, thanks again for helping us narrow the search!

Look at Star Clipper Cruises. You and the kids will have an amazing time. You can do the Med but also look at the Adriatic and Greek Isles. They have a water sports team that bring you by zodiac to small secluded beaches.

I’ll recommend a Caribbean cruise. A nice option with less travel time from Sweden is Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne, NJ. Very close to Newark airport and direct flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another option is Bermuda which you can sail to from New York or New Jersey. Nice thing about Bermuda is you are there for three days, get on and off whenever you want.

If you are like most swedes that travel to warm places during the winter, the warm climate is the thing that we are looking for.

If this is true for your family, then DON'T book a cruise from New York! You will spend several day cruising in the cold.

Sail from south Florida or San Juan, Puerto Rico and it will be warm all the way.

I would not pick ncl have sailed most of the major lines and ncl is my least favorite , would also not leave fron New York or Jersey . Also February might be a better time March May have spring breakers and more children, if that’s important to you. MSC has some really good deals leaving from Miami. But rccl is our favorite and have done over 6 cruises.