Amsterdam Hotel Location Suggestions

I'm starting to plan a 2 or 3 day pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam for late May, 2019, for me and DH. I am a bit overwhelmed by the size of the city and I’m having trouble deciding what area to stay in. Hopefully the wise people here on CC can give me some advice......

We don’t have a lot of must-do items, but I’d like to see the Rijksmuseum, cruise the canals and admire the architecture, and get out into the countryside for a day trip. We’re really not city people and prefer nature over traffic.

So..... Staying near the cruise port is an option but would we end up spending a lot of time traveling to and from the city? Is there an area in the city that would be more convenient but not uber expensive? I’d like to keep it under $300 per night.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

You cannot be overwhelmed by the size of Amsteram as it is much smaller then any US city. Apart from that it is very walkable with excellent public transport. You can stay the cruiseport but if you stay more days maybe one around Museumplein ( for the musea) or around Rembrandtplein, or even one along the canals might be better. Many hotels have been mentioned in the past, so if you use the search function you will find lots ofi information about that.

Even going out of the city, is easy. Again excellent public transportation to e.g. Zaanse Schans, Delft, Haarlem etc.

Having just spent 4 days, I can agree with Ine that Amsterdam, while large and vibrant, is no NYC, ATL, or DFW. Amsterdam is very small with great public transportation and could be walked if so inclined. So small that the locals use bicycles to get around.

There are many hotels throughout the city. From Marriots to Best Western to AirB&B. You can even rent a boat home on a canal through HomeAway or AirB&B.

Unless you’ve got carry on only,,, take a taxi or Uber from the airport. Hauling lots of luggage on the train, over to a tram, then a short walk to your hotel is less than ideal.

In April, we stayed 3 nights at the Park Plaza...ideal location and wonderful breakfast.....canal boats right outside the door and the concierge arranged for our trip to see the windmills. and also volendam....our trip meeting place to go to Keukenhof was just around the corner....would definitely stay there again.

We were in Amsterdam in June, and stayed at the Luxury Suites Amsterdam, near Centraal Station. We found we could walk most everywhere - the only time we took a taxi was to the museums, but it was a short (& inexpensive) ride. Uber is also widely available. We loved our hotel - very nice, right on a canal, and centrally located.

We have rented a 'canal guesthouse' via airbnb for our trip to Amsterdam this August.

It is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath guest house, on the Herengracht Canal. It says it is walking distance to the Anne Frank house and Dam Square. It is a 6 minute walk to Central Station and near a Tram stop. It has excellent reviews.

We thought it would be nice to have some space, instead of just a hotel room and it was cheaper BY FAR than the hotels we were looking at. We booked it about a year out. So fingers crossed!!

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Amsterdam for 6 nights in 2016 and stayed at the RHO Hotel, just off of Dam Square. It was a budget choice and we were really happy with it - very central and easy to get around. It has some mixed reviews, mainly because of noise due to being so close to everything, but we had a room higher up and in the back and we slept great even with the windows open. Amsterdam is very easy to get around in - the tram system is really easy and you can walk to a lot of places. We took several tours with "That Dam Guide". They were great. We did a walking city tour, a walking red light tour, and a tour out to see the tulip fields. If you want to tour the Anne Frank house be sure to purchase tickets well in advance.

We were in Amsterdam for 6 nights in 2016 and stayed at the RHO Hotel, just off of Dam Square. It was a budget choice and we were really happy with it - very central and easy to get around. It has some mixed reviews, mainly because of noise due to being so close to everything, but we had a room higher up and in the back and we slept great even with the windows open. Amsterdam is very easy to get around in - the tram system is really easy and you can walk to a lot of places. We took several tours with "That Dam Guide". They were great. We did a walking city tour, a walking red light tour, and a tour out to see the tulip fields. If you want to tour the Anne Frank house be sure to purchase tickets well in advance.

I also enjoyed my 3 nights at the RHO. I had one arm in a sling at the time, and everyone was very helpful. I found it very convenient to get around from there.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed one week in Amsterdam this past May. We stayed at the Marriott Hotel. It's a couple of blocks from the Rijksmuseum and right across the hop on hop off boats. Don't take the bus, it takes too long because of traffic. The hoho boats were great to see the city. The Marriott has great service and rooms. They have a steakhouse on site, but one block down there is a street full of restaurants. You can take a taxi to the cruise port.

Several of us stayed at the Banks Mansion after our cruise. Loved it. Basically all inclusive and well done.

It's location was perfect for us. We could walk to the Anne Frank House and to the museums (we like walking).

Other CC friends stayed at the JL No 76 which is right in the museum district and were very pleased with it.

Amsterdam is very easy to get around and they have great signage as well as friendly people if you take a mis step.

and the trams (streetcars)!!!!

The trams you see coming it is the bicyclists that come from no where LOL :halo:

Several time we looked to cross the road no one in sight then as soo as you step off the sidewalk WHOOSH :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Several of us stayed at the Banks Mansion after our cruise. Loved it. Basically all inclusive and well done.

It's location was perfect for us. We could walk to the Anne Frank House and to the museums (we like walking).

Other CC friends stayed at the JL No 76 which is right in the museum district and were very pleased with it.

Amsterdam is very easy to get around and they have great signage as well as friendly people if you take a mis step.

Jacki, thanks to Gigianne, I think, for the recommendation of the JLNo.76!! Great small hotel, lovely room, helpful staff and included breakfast. Very short walk to van Gogh and Riiks.:)

We were very happy with the DoubleTree Centraal Station. We were able to walk to the port and many of the popular sites. It is also close to the train station so getting to and from the airport was easy.

We will be in Amsterdam for 3 days/2 nights in May 2019 before flying out to Italy for our niece's wedding. Our family is DH, DD and myself. We would like to see Anne Frank's House, tulips and windmills.

What areas are recommended to stay in (or avoid) when traveling with a young child?

I'm starting to plan a 2 or 3 day pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam for late May, 2019, for me and DH. I am a bit overwhelmed by the size of the city and I’m having trouble deciding what area to stay in. Hopefully the wise people here on CC can give me some advice......

We don’t have a lot of must-do items, but I’d like to see the Rijksmuseum, cruise the canals and admire the architecture, and get out into the countryside for a day trip. We’re really not city people and prefer nature over traffic.

So..... Staying near the cruise port is an option but would we end up spending a lot of time traveling to and from the city? Is there an area in the city that would be more convenient but not uber expensive? I’d like to keep it under $300 per night.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

My wife and I just got back 2 weeks ago. We did 4 days pre-cruise at the Renaissance Hotel. Perfect location. Right between the Jaardan and the Relight. We were able to walk all over and we actually did that. 11 miles one day 9 the next. Excellent hotel and the concierge can get you all the tickets you need and make the reservations. Great staff!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I have currently booked at both Moxy (Marriott) & Renaissance Airport for 3 nts before our cruise, because of rewards points. We plan to spend a bit of time in city center but also roam around by train a bit. Does anyone here know if either of these hotels would be preferred?