Splendida cruise + some Malta info

Beauseant

Thought about continuing my remarks about Splendida (5th Aug cruise-Western Med) here. Plus filling in some tips about Malta and other ports I visited during this cruise. Will try to answer other questions here about Splendida too.(in my opinion that is :))

Something about Malta first:

Splendida approaches the Maltese islands at around 6.30am. As my cabin was on the starboard side (right) I just sat in my balcony and enjoyed the views from there. Passengers on the port side (left) will have to go on deck. Don't forget your binoculars too.

So, at around 6.30am, you will see Malta's smaller sister island, called Gozo. Than as the ship moves on, you'll see the other little islet of Commino, which is in between the 2 larger islands. After cruising slowly on, at around 7.35am, Splendida will make a 90degree turn to starboard, and will align herself to start her entrance into the Grand Harbor.

Now, for some one who has never entered this harbor, and wishes to take pics or video, it's better to be on deck now. This is to see views of both sides of the Harbor. As the ship slowly makes it's way into port, on the right-side, there's Malta's capital city Valletta with it's high bastions towering onto the port. On the other side, there are other fortifications, but most beautifull one is Fort St.Angelo. Also on the left side are the "Three Cities" Senglea, Vittoriosa and Cospicua. Each one over 500 years old, and full of rich history.They were crucial in the 1565 Great Siege of Malta when Grand Master de La Valette with only eight war galleys and some 9,000 men at his command, stopped the Muslim invaders of around 38,000 troops from taking Malta and start their invasion of souther europe. Islam's dream of taking europe stopped there!(We maltese still celebrate the 1565 victory with pomp and are very proud of our history!)

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Historys-bloodiest-siege-used-human-heads-cannonballs.html

Before arriving at the cruise terminal(Valletta Water Front), Splendida does a 360 degree turn and than at around 8.15am she stops at the terminal till her departure at 6.00pm.

Now,when the ship is stopped, if you are on the deck, on your left, you will see Floriana...a small town in front of the capital. While on the right side, one can see Malta Drydocks and one of the Three cities, Senglea with a small fort at her tip,and with Fort St.Angelo behind it.

Exiting the cruise terminal, one can find taxis there. But to visit Valletta, one only has to walk right along and than turn left uphill. Think there'a a schuttle bus that takes passengers up to Valletta, but am not sure about their time schedules (some buses don't keep to their time schedules here) .

One can go uphill by walking along this road, or for an aerobic workout, climb the stairs that are a little bit way-up on the right hand side of this road. If you check the map in google, this road uphill is called "It-Telgha tal-kurcifiss".The road when one exits the terminal is called "Il-vittimi furjanizi". No problem though. Just ask anyone for directions. Maltese use English as their second language.

to continue.......

cont...

Means of transport in Malta:

The White Taxi service can pick up passengers from anywhere except from bus-stops. Taxi charges from the cruise terminal to any location in Malta are based on a fixed tariff, even though some taxi-drivers try to charge whatever they think passengers will pay, rather than the official rates posted near taxi ranks. So always without exceptions agree on the fare beforehand if you use one.

The following link directs you to White Taxi fares:

http://www.maltatransport.com/en/ptd/passengertransport/Taxis.pdf

Buses are much cheaper, but much slower. Many of Malta’s much-photographed snub-nosed buses date back half a century. They are rather slow, but fares are cheap and routes fairly comprehensive. Buses on Malta are yellow with an orange stripe; most journeys begin at Valletta.

There’s a bus terminus near Valetta’s main entrance (buses are parked in lanes surrounding The Triton Fountain) with routes to all places in Malta. Fares are cheap, normally between 0.47/0.54 euro cents per trip. Buses use numbers on their front wind screen to show their destination. All buses stop at Valetta. Most bus drivers are ok, others so and so...so better have some euro coins handy (50c) because these bus drivers don’t like it when someone gives them a 10 or 20 euro note for the fare ticket.

If a person’s stay in Malta was longer, a self driven hired car would be the most recommendable choice. Malta is a small island and with a good map, one can drive from point to point in less than an hour. Nearly 99% of Maltese speak English, so they’ll be more than happy to give help or directions.

But again, as people are allowed to go ashore from Splendida at around 9.00am, and must be back at around 5.00pm (departure is 6.00pm from Malta), time is a limiting factor.

This small map has some bus route numbers in it:

http://www.atp.com.mt/atp/UserFiles/Image/map.jpg

Winter routes (1st Oct- 15th June):

http://www.atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/ControllerServlet?action=listWinterBusRoutes

If I was a tourist and had so little time to visit Malta, I would choose to visit sites in Valletta only. Others may disagree with this, but to see all sites here (over 7,000 years of history) you need at least a week (and not enough!). I think that better concentrate on one area, than waste time running from one place to another. So I will concentrate on Valletta first. Valletta is a stop-over on many Mediterranean cruises nowadays. The approach to Valletta by ship is unforgettable, and the views have barely changed in five centuries.

map of Valletta:

http://www.planetware.com/map/valletta-map-m-val_n.htm

Valletta:

From the Cruise Terminal, one can enter Valletta by 3 routes. One of them is to continue going along the seafront along "Lascaris Warf", than enter in a tunnel in the bastions. But better keep to normal entrances not to get lost.

Other two entrances are by either entering the main gate by crossing the bridge on the ditch (infront of the bus terminus and the Triton Fountain). Or by keep going up hill along "Gerolamo Avenue" to "Castille Place". (Am using the map I gave you earlier on...than plan your routes on google earth maps.)

Tourist Office in Valletta:

Malta’s main tourist information office is just inside Valletta’s City Gate (on your right as you enter the gate). The friendly staff can provide information on everything from bus routes to museum opening times, maps etc

Republic street is Valletta's main street. It goes way down to Fort St.Elmo. This street is full of shops/cafe's etc. Popular with maltese and tourists alike.

Museums:

State museums generally have the following opening hours. Museums are normally closed on Public Holidays.

Opening Hours:

October - 15th June

Mondays - Saturdays : 08.15 - 17.00

Sundays : 08.15 - 16.15

16th June to 30th September

Mondays - Sundays : 07.45 - 14.00

Some Places of interest in Valletta+ little info on them:

St John’s Co-Cathedral, Valletta:(Open 9:30am–4:30pm Mon–Fri, 9:30am–12:30pm Sat)

St John’s Co-Cathedral, designed by Gerolamo Cassar and consecrated in 1578, looms over Valletta like a giant fortress. Yet when you step inside, the austerity gives way to an interior of dazzling beauty. The marble floor is covered with richly inlaid tombstones, every wall is carved with flowers and garlands, and the vaulted ceiling is splendidly painted with frescoes by Mattia Preti (1613–99). The Cathedral’s treasures include a magnificent painting of St John the Baptist by Caravaggio as well as a series of tapestries with designs by Rubens and Poussin..

You may be refused entry if you are not dressed respectfully. Shoes with pointed or narrow heels are not allowed as they can damage the delicate floor.

Some features one finds inside this cathedral:

1; Cannons

Two cannons guard the main entrance to the church. They date back to 1600 and 1726; the first bears the Battenburg coat of arms, while the other is engraved with the coat of arms of Grand Master Vilhena.

2; Nave

The nave was at first as plain as the façade. It was transformed in the 1660s, when Mattia Preti gave it a Baroque makeover and painted his magnificent frescoes depicting episodes from the life of St John.

3; Marble Tombstones

The entire floor of the church is a sea of multicoloured marble, where 400 Knights are buried beneath in their tombstones. Each is adorned with the coat of arms of its aristocratic occupant, along with symbols reminding onlookers of the inevitability of death.

4; Chapels of the Langues

Each of the Langues(Spanish,Italian,German,British etc) the national chapters of the Order of St John was given its own chapel off of one of the aisles on either side of the nave. The Langues competed with each other to create the most lavish chapel, and all are richly decorated. Those of Provence and Italy are the most beautifull.

5; Oratory

The Oratory contains Caravaggio’s masterpiece and Malta’s most famous work of art, The Beheading of John the Baptist (1608).

6; High Altar

The 17th-century High Altar is made of gold, silver and bronze, encrusted with precious jewels in many hues.

7: Crypt

Here are 12 tombs of Grand Masters, including la Vallette, after whom the city is named, plus that of Sir Oliver Starkey.

8; Museum

The museum displays the co-cathedral’s most important paintings, lavishly embroidered vestments, illuminated antiphonaries, silver plate and a fine collection of 17th-century tapestries. On display are treasures of the Knights, portraits of Grand Masters (look out for Antoine de Favray’s rendition of the decadent Pinto), tapestries and the monstrance built to hold the reliquary of the right hand of St John the Baptist.

(Open 9:30am–4:30pm Mon–Fri; 9:30am–12:30pm Sat)

to cont.......

Hi Beauseant,

Wow! Thank you for posting this information on Malta! Now that you've cruised - you really know the issues - a short port time that one wants to make the best use of and the best way to get to the sites from the port -taking cost effectiveness and time management into account. I could have searched the internet endlessly and not found more specific "how-to's" for Valletta. Thank you, thank you!! I look forward to your next installment. There is nothing better than tips from a true insider!

Hi Beauseant!

I have printed this along with your other posts! Thanks so much! Also, we have enjoyed the harbor webcam from Malta. I am excited about visiting Malta as in the early 70's when I was about 13, we had an exchange student from Malta. She has since moved to Australia, but I am looking forward to seeing her homeland.

Thanks for your nice comments buggins0402 and Ikesmom. There's so much to say about the Splendida. Maybe because was my first cruise? Well, hope its not my last hahaa. Anyway, will continue to post here all that I can remember of my cruise+ more "tips" about Valletta and other possible excursions in Malta.

First would like to post again that webcam link of the Grand Harbour's view...so that every wednesday at around 7.45am(malta time is +1gmt) one can enjoy watching msc Splendida's majestic entrance in port.

Other interesting places in Valletta:

National Museum of Archaeology, Valletta :

A visit is important to understand fully Malta’s unique prehistoric temples. A star attraction is the enigmatic “Sleeping Lady” (about 2000 BC). Upstairs one gets a glimpse of the building’s former glory as the Auberge de Provence.

(Open daily 9am–5pm)

National War Museum, Valletta:

This small museum, is full of World War II items. There are black-painted Italian torpedo boats, “Faith” (the only surviving biplane of the trio that defended Malta early in the war), and the George Cross awarded to all the Maltese people in 1942.

(is in Fort St Elmo -Valetta, Open daily 9am–5pm)

Palace of the Grand Masters, Valetta:(Palace Open 10am–4pm Fri–Wed)

This palace was built between 1573 and 1578 by the celebrated Maltese architect Gerolamo Cassar (1520–86), who was also responsible for the Co-Cathedral of St John. Today it is the President’s office and seat of the Maltese Parliament, but for more than two hundred years it was the residence of the Grand Master, supreme head of the Order of the Knights of St John. Here, the Grand Master would greet foreign envoys and important guests, and the State Apartments are suitably crammed with reminders of the Order’s fabulous wealth and influence. The palace’s armoury contains a spectacular array of weaponry and armour spanning more two centuries.

Note that the Palace may be closed if Parliament is in session; check with the tourist office in advance.

Some features in this palace:

1; Neptune’s Courtyard

The impressive statue that gives its name to the main courtyard was made by the Flemish born sculptor Giambologna (1529–1608). It is said that Admiral Andrea Doria, a friend of Grand Master de la Vallette, volunteered to pose naked for the statue.

2; Corridors of the Knights

On the first floor (the piano nobile) of the palace, lavishly decorated marble corridors overlook Neptune’s Courtyard. They are lined with portraits of the Grand Masters, their coats of arms and suits of armour

3; Tapestry Chamber

In this elegant room, the senior Knights attended to day-to-day business and, in later years, the Maltese parliament met. It is now lit dimly to preserve the sumptuous Gobelin tapestries.

4; Gobelin Tapestries

Known as Les Tentures des Indes (the Indies Tapestries), for their depictions of exotic scenes, they were donated in 1710 by Grand Master Perellos.

5; Supreme Council Hall

This is the grandest room in the palace, also known as the "Hall of St Michael and St George". It has glittering chandeliers, a coffered ceiling and a stunning frieze which vividly depicts the Great Siege of 1565. The minstrel’s gallery at one end of the hall once decorated the palace chapel, but came originally from the warship Grand Carrack in which the Knights departed from Rhodes.

6; Great Siege Frieze

Here are the key events in the Knights’ celebrated defence of the island during the 1565 Great Siege, painted by Matteo Perez d’Aleccio (1547–1616) between 1575 and 1581. (a must see!)

7; Ambassador’s Room

The Grand Masters used this handsome chamber for private audiences and to impress foreign dignitaries. Matteo Perez d’Aleccio painted the frieze, which represents important moments in the history of the Order of St John.

8; Armoury (Armoury Open 9am–4:30pm daily)

The Palace Armoury, located in the former stables, contains more than 5,000 pieces of military hardware. There are cannons, guns and entire walls lined with evil-looking devices for hacking, spearing and spiking your opponent.

9; Parade Armour

The highlight of the Armoury’s collection is exquisitely decorated parade armour made for the Grand Masters. The most elaborate is a suit made for Grand Master Martino Garzes (1595–61), which has an intricate etched pattern.

10; State Dining Hall

Badly damaged by aerial bombardment during World War II, this beautifully proportioned chamber is lined with portraits of British monarchs and Maltese heads of state.

There are also two public gardens that offer stunning views of the Grand Harbour. Both are in Valletta too. Named the Upper Barrakka and the Lower Barrakka gardens, these 2 gardens are on the starboard side (right) of the ship when entering Harbour.

The Upper Barrakka garden, especially, is a must. Built on top of a demi-bastion, both locals and foreigners relish spending hours taking in the sights. A number of statues and monuments adorn the gardens, including one dedicated to Winston Churchill. You'll get a panoramic view of the whole harbor from here....and of the gigantic Splendida of course.

A monument dedicated to Captain Ball is located in the centre of the Lower Barrakka Gardens.

Some one asked me about temperature/weather here in Malta in November:

November is one of the wetter months, although still warm and offering very many beautifully sunny days, at great contrast to the weather situation in most of Europe.

Daytime Temperature: 20˚C average.

Night Time Temperature: 15˚C average.

Hours of Sun: 6.5 hrs.

Food on Msc Splendida:

Breakfast:

In regards to food quality, taste, variation etc, in my opinion it was of very good quality. Food was always at right temperature for my taste. Eating places were kept clean with many waiters/cleaners going around the place and seeing that everything is tidy and in place. When some one finished eating, the cleaners quickly clean and prepared it for others to use.In the buffet arestaurants, food containers were labelled too, and re-filled immediately when empty.

I did not try the continental breakfast which can be freely served in the cabin. Preferred the buffet one served on deck 14 (Bora Bora Cafeteria). This was open from 6.30am till around 10am. There are all types of food here: cheese, yogurt, eggs (omelettes/fried/scrambled), bacon, grilled gammon, ham, sausages, types of grilled potato mash, etc.... plus cereals, fruits, many types of bread, toast and so on. Tea and coffee were served too by waiters, as was fruit juices.

A thing I noticed while eating breakfast was that of people doing “early -booking” of deck chairs in the outdoor pool areas (aqua park). They did this by putting the orange beach towels, which are provided freely from near the aqua park entrance (must show cruise card to get towels) onto the deck chairs. They left the deck chairs unattended for hours (supposed only to be left unattended for 30min max) to go ashore for excursions! I was going to protest this happening with the pool attendant, BUT then, a saying says that when in Rome do as the Romans do......

Breakfast is also served ala carte in La Reggia (deck 6) and Villa Verde (deck 6) restaurants from 7.00am till 9.30am. As I’m a fast eater, I choose the buffet.

LUNCH:

Again, I preferred lunch in Bora Bora or Pago Pago buffet restaurants(deck 14). Normally, after coming from a shore trip, first we took a shower (temp was very hot that week), than quickly changed into our swim suits and found a table opposite the mid-pool (aqua park).This was because, we liked to watch port/city scenes while eating, and obviously to keep watch of our “booked” deck chairs. We left the main restaurants only for the evening Dinner.

BTW, one cannot enter the buffet restaurants bare-chested (men of course!), so just wearing a tank-top on my swimming trunks was ok. Beach dresses for ladies are fine too.

Food during lunch was varied too: hot food like skinless chicken, meat, hamburgers, square-cut pizza, frankfurters, soup, rice, pasta, fish, etc... plus salads, breads, potatoes(chips, mashed etc), cakes, Gatos and the likes.

No coffee though, free that is. Even water must be bought, but will write on drinks later on.

Waiters (very nice,educated and polite staff) are always moving around people for drink orders or anything.

For those that prefer being served by waiters, than they can have lunch in either La Reggia or Villa Verde (both deck 6) restaurants. No shorts, tank tops or beach dresses in here though.

To cont........

Hello again Beauseant,

Thanks again, you're posts are wonderfully detailed - you even gave the opening times of the buffet and dining room (a thoughtful consideration with the two early ports - Barcelona and Messina.) I have read the buffets on the other MSC ships tend to be a mass frenzy - did you find this to be the case on Splendida? Like you, on our other two cruises we liked to do it simple and just go to the buffet for breakfast and lunch if we were on ship. It was frantic with all the people (so its probably the same on all cruise ships), but not overwhelming. On our last cruise we found an out of the way dining room that they opened for the buffet seating, but that was on NCL which had a specialty restaurant adjacent to the buffet they could open for overflow buffet seating (we found out about that secret on CC!). Did Splendida have a place where you could get away from the buffet crush?

Again Beauseant, I love your attention to detail. You have consistently noted what time the ship gets in port, opening times to sites, and have carefully thought out your plan of attack to ports. It goes to show if you put in some thought, time and research, everyone can be their own travel agent.

Thank you again.

Hello Buggins,

Good to know that can be of some help to fellow cruisers. Yes, doing some homework before surely helps one save both money and time. Time is more important I guess, because you can’t buy it ;-). As I pre-booked last November 08, had 8 whole months to do some research on sites like this. Plus, I kept an onboard “sort of” diary and wrote all happenings + useful info, so as not to forget later at home.

I think that one of the most magical times of the cruise is when the ship gently, slowly and silently enters harbour just before sunrise. At night, the ship is sailing at high speed (once saw on the info channel, a speed of 17knots) and you can hear the noise of the waves from outside. Even on deck at night/early morning hours, it was so windy some times (windy weather+speed of ship) that ladies had to hold on to their skirts, or else do a “Woman in Red” show! But while entering ports, it’s so quiet...seems to glide on the water...comes in like a stealth fighter! Used to be awake in the balcony, armed with my binoculars+digital cameras at around 5.00am daily. Plus that smell of the sea and the cool air....hmmm....can’t wait to go again next year!

As told you earlier, we used to eat breakfast in the Bora Bora Cafeteria, as early as possible and we’d be seated by 7.00am. But as time goes by...8.00am+, it will get a bit crowded. Maybe because our cruise was in peak-time? Butyou can even eat your breakfast on a table beside the pools if you want (infact we used to do this). At breakfast, to keep our table “reserved” we used go in pairs to bring food. Two sitting around the table, while another two going and bringing theirs.

This strategy was very useful too during lunch time in the buffet areas. At this time, empty tables can get scarce, so someone should stay behind to show that it’s occupied. (Btw as I’m a chess player, am used to study strategies.. hahaa)

So, in short, to go on a “do-it-yourself” tour/excursion, you must be up early to maximize the short duration of your time window you have ashore. For example, in Messina, Splendida started her approach around 5.55am (know from time displayed in my photo info) and docked alongside terminal at around 6.15am. People began going ashore at around 8.00am. In Barcelona, ship started her entrance in port around 6.25am, and docked alongside cruise terminal (one nearest to bridge) at about 7.05am.

So, wake up early, 3 cups of coffee and off you go :)

p.s. If you prefer peace and quiet, and have no hurry, you can always have your breakfast in the La Reggia (deck 6) and Villa Verde (deck 6) restaurants.

Something more on excursions in Malta:

In Valletta, there's one other interesting place that one can visit if time allows, this is:

Lascaris War Rooms, Valletta

This fascinating museum is located in the World War II military operation rooms, deep in the bastions of Valletta. An animated commentary vividly evokes Operation Husky (the invasion of Sicily) and other pivotal events planned in these subterranean passages.

Open 9:30–3pm Mon–Fri, 9:30–12:30 Sat, Sun

Malta is also known for it's neolithic temples. Some of these pre-date the Pyramids of Giza by over 1000 years and are World Heritage Sites. The following link takes you to the Malta's official museum agency, in which you will find all info about prices/opening hours etc.

http://www.heritagemalta.org/home.html

For me the NICEST neolithic site in Malta is the Hypogeum of Hal Saflieni;

Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, Paola:

One of Europe’s most extraordinary prehistoric sites, Hal Saflieni is a vast underground burial complex carved from solid rock. Malta’s most astonishing ancient treasure, this vast, 5,000-year-old underground cemetery was hewn by hand from the rock. It was here that the famous sculpture of the “Sleeping Lady” was found (see National Museum of Archaeology, Valletta). If you see only one megalithic site in Malta, make it this one – but be sure to book your ticket well ahead.

To book online: https://maltaticket.com/index.asp?page=heritage

Many tourists are taken to Malta's ancient cappital, Mdina. Well, I would prefer first visiting the Hypogeum + than some sites in Valletta, than going by bus/taxi to Mdina. Mdina is nice too, but best visited at knight for that spooky atmosphere.My humble opinion of course though.Time is short, and I would shoot for best sites!

anyway.....

Mdina:

Mdina dreams quietly behind her impenetrable walls. Time stopped for the ancient Maltese capital when the seafaring Knights arrived in the 1530s, settling around the Grand Harbour – and sidelining Mdina and its inhabitants in the process. “The Silent City”, as it is still known, may fill up with tourists by day, but the hush returns with nightfall when the crowds depart. If you can, explore this lovely city by day, and again by night.

If time allows ( it won't!) there are two very interesting places to visit too...both situated in one of the "3 cities" called Vittoriosa.

Fort St Angelo, Vittoriosa (open daily 10am–5pm daily)

This mighty fortress dominates the sweep of the Grand Harbour. Perhaps nothing evokes the drama of the Great Siege of 1565 like its imposing bulk when viewed from across the water in Valletta. Seat of the Grand Master until Valletta, the Knights’ new capital, was constructed; it was here that punishment was meted out. Most feared was the "oubliette" a pit hollowed out of the rock where wrong-doers(normally arab muslims + heretics) were abandoned to the darkness and their own demons. The fortress withstood the Turks in 1565 and the German bombs in the 1940s, and these two great sieges are discussed in the fascinating guided tours that take place every day.

Malta Maritime Museum, Vittoriosa(open daily 9am–5pm)

Exhibits here range from model ships to lavish ceremonial barges built for the Grand Masters. Look out for the traditional decorations from fishing boats, including a wonderful St George and the dragon.

Open daily 9am–5pm

Well....as you see, you have to choose from all these interesting sites. There are much more sites to visit in Malta and Gozo (sister island) but time is the problem. If I was a tourist, my plan would be to pre- book(online) a visit to the hypogeum in Paola (better take taxi to arrive first here, than a bus back to Valletta). As the Hypogeum opens at 9,00am, I'll visit first the Upper Barrakka Gardens in Valletta, than catch a taxi from outside the gates of Barrakka Gardens and this takes me straight to the Hypogeum. After,will concentrate on sites in Valletta, so that will be safely in close distance to the ship.

For those that choose the easy way out (but costly) and choose a ship organized excursion, don't take a boat ride to visit the "BLUE GROTTO" in Zurrieq. It's a rip-off!! Again,this was my humble unbaised opinion :)

Hi Again Beauseant,

Thanks again, you have yet again proved very helpful. Like Ikesmom, I have copied everything you have written. I am putting together a soft covered binder on each port, with maps, tranport maps, and port maps if available, together with helpful comments I've found - you have filled Malta! I hope our short visit there will encourage us to do a land based trip there in the future.

From all that you have written it sounds like we could stay in Valletta and have a wonderful day. There is so much to see right there. Do you have any suggestions for a place for a light lunch?

As for Splendida, did you go to any shows? We've never done the theatre shows on our past cruises, but I've read they are pretty good on the other ships. How did you handle the drink packages? Did you try any of the speciality dining? And, did you note if they changed the dinner hour in Tunis, due to the port time? Oh, and how formal were the formal nights? Did you check out the fitness center? (sorry for all the questions - but you're the first!)

Also, I know that Sicily was not a major focus of your voyage because of it's proximity to Malta, but did you happen to notice if MSC had a transportation only option to Taormina? Still don't know if we would bite - it's a long way to go and we would only have an hour or two. That is perhaps the only negative with this itinerary (and other cruise lines do the same thing - a short port stop in Messina). It would seem if the big non-tendering vessels are only going to do a few hours in Sicily - they make it Palermo. But to call Messina a stop for Taormina with at most 5 hours on shore time and 2 1/2 to 3 hours travel time back and forth is stretching it. They would probably sell more shore excursions to Taormina if the cost/ benefit was there (ok I'll admit it I'm an accountant by education). I'm really leaning on doing exactly as you did with this port.

Thank you again for all your help! Really, if you ever need a second career you should consider being a travel advisor!

Thanks for your nice words Buggins.

I always loved reading history books. But nowadays, thanks to internet, everyone can get nearly all info they need.

About MSC transport to Taormina: Did not check on this because had already visited Taormina before. If I had never been to Sicily before, would maybe have tried to visited Mt. Etna. Even though, it’s a bit risky on your own because Splendida departs port at 2.00pm. You can book an excursion from the excursion office on deck 6. Msc had an Etna exc. /a Taormina exc. / a beach tour plus a city tour.

And don’t worry about asking questions....will try to answer all slowly. I take my laptop to work so in my spare time (when my boss is not looking...) will fill in something here. I did like you, and had a file filled with info/maps/opening times of places etc, of every port of call (except Tunis). Even had plotted my walking paths on Google maps! Easy to do. You just calculated how much it takes you to walk a mile, than add 50% to it for sight-seeing allowance. Then you’ll have a better picture of what you can see and visit.

About light lunches in Valletta. There are many restaurants here, but a favourite of mine is “Giannini Ristorante”. Located in Windmill Street, opposite St.Micheal’s Bastion. On the left side of Valletta, a short distance from the main entrance gate into Valletta.

See map: http://www.planetware.com/map/valletta-map-m-val_n.htm

But there are many more from which to choose.

Dinner:

We chose second sitting for our Dinner. Did this to take it more easier and not having to rush to get ready in time for the earlier sitting, plus the 7.00pm sitting was too early for us. We preferred taking things more easily, and also have time for a drink before dinner in one of the nice bars or lounges.

First sitting was always at 7.00pm, except when we left Tunis. This was held at 7.30pm. Second sitting was always at 9.30pm, except the Tunis one, this was at 10.00pm.

Dinner was a la carte, and our waiter a nice guy named Alexis saw to our every needs. (Our table, number 579 was at La Reggia-lower). We shared our table with another family of four, and had no trouble with this. Pity that like us, they were Maltese; would have preferred someone foreign to mix our views/experiences. But it seems that MSC tries to group people of same nationality together. Anyway, you can’t have everything your way. We could have changed table, but did not want to offend the other family sitting in our same table.

Alexis (always with that smile on his face) always greeted us to our table, and quickly took our drink- orders first. I had bought packages of wine+water and of soft drinks, so I just gave him the tickets and in no time at all, me and my wifey were enjoying a good bottle of Merlo. Kids of course drank cola!

The menu always had something different for each night. Dinner normally consisted of a six course one (appetizers, soups, pasta/rice, salads, main course: meat/fish/poultry, desert: ice-cream/Gatos/sorbet ...mmmm!). There were also “standard items” available every night, just in case one did not fancy anything in the main menu. These consisted of spaghetti bolognese/skinless chicken/grilled salmon/meat etc. As I adore spaghetti, so my course was always a seven one!

There were also special food items for diabetics and vegetarians too. My little daughter liked the food from the kid’s menu. Food was always served warm. Another thing; you will not find any cutlery on the table when you sit down. The waiters will bring only those that you need before your plate is put on table.

We had two Gala nights. First one in Messina, and the other in Barcelona (well, at time of dinner, the ship would already be miles at sea, away from these two ports/cities). I had been a bit worried about dressing up for these two occasions. My wife and I love to dress up, but in many forums, I was reading that many were not bothering to dress up. So, did not want us to be over-dressed and look nerdy. Our local tour agent had told us that even jeans are allowed in the restaurants now. We packed our “gala” suits though+ our other semi-formal and casual clothes.

On our first Gala night, I did a little” reconnaissance mission” down near the restaurants/bars to see what other fellow cruisers were wearing for their first sitting. Did not see anyone in a tuxedo, but the majority of men were wearing dark coloured jackets + ties, and women in all sorts of pretty formal dresses (like going for a wedding). A little minority did not seem to care and even dared wearing cloths like a short sleeve shirt, jeans and sneakers, but guess they felt like fish out of water. ..Served them right! If it was for me, I would have not accepted them in the restaurant.

For other nights, I used short sleeved shirts (no tie/open neck) and smart trousers+ shoes. Wife put on nice cocktail dresses. Our two kids were dressed up smartly too.

The ship photographers will take every opportunity to take your pictures (near the pools, foyer, down the Swarovski staircases etc) and so be prepared for them to visit you while having dinner, gala or not. You will find all photos taken, fixed onto boards in “The Photo Gallery” (deck 7 exactly above La Reggia Restaurant).Not free of course. I did not buy one pic from them, had my own cameras. A friend of mine bought all pics they took of him and his family and these cost him around 300euros! So, we just smiled to the photographer whenever they took us a pic, but did not buy any photos.

The food was excellent, so at first, we didn’t see why we should eat at one of the other speciality restaurants. But as our last second-sitting dinner onboard (Tunis) was to start at 10.00pm, we decided to try the “Santa Fe Tex Mex”(Ponte Tiziano Deck 7) . This is open from 12.30pm-3.30pm and from 7.00pm-midnight. Here everyone wears casual (jeans/T-shirts etc). Love Mexican food and prices were good. We had Quesadillas (2.9euros) and Chili con carne (4.9euros)...plus lots of cola cans to ease a bit our burning tongues!

Speciality Restaurants:

Santa Fe Tex Mex (deck 7) 12.30pm-3.30pm/7.00pm-Midnight

L’Enoteca Wine Bar (deck 7) 12noon-3.00pm/6.00pm-1.00am

Sports Bar (deck 7) 12noon-4.00am

La Pizzeria (Bora Bora Cafeteria) (deck 14) 7.30pm-11.00pm

L’Olivo Mediterranean a la carte Restaurant (deck 15) 12noon-3.00pm/7.00pm-11.00pm

Some restaurants like Tex Mex and L’Olivo need to have table reserved (by phone from cabin or from restaurant much earlier).

My kids liked the Sports Bar most. Here snacks can be bought at an extra charge. Fish and chips (5.5euros), Buffalo Chicken wings (2.8euros), steamed shrimps cocktail (4.9euros) etc. Has Big -screens here to watch various sports, and kids loved playing Bowling at around 3euros a game.

Every night there was some special treats in different places too:

First night (Valletta): Watermelon Party... 00.45am at the Aqua Park.

Messina: Buffet Magnifico ...12.45am...Bora Bora cafeteria.

Civitavecchia: Hot Snacks...12.30am...served in all lounges decks 6/7.

Genoa: Snack Sandwiches...12.30am...served in all lounges decks 6/7.

Marseille: Mediterranean....12.30am....Bora Bora cafeteria.

Barcelona: Little Sweets...12.30am....served in all lounges decks 6/7.

Tunis: Pizza and Focaccie...12.30am...served in all lounges decks 6/7.

Fitness centre:

I just paid a visit to see its machines. I used to do power lifting + bodybuilding years ago and use my own home gym nowadays. Gym seemed Ok, even though I prefer more the “hardcore” type of gyms(less sparkle and more steel) if you know what I mean.

A big No-No is the opening time. Gym opens at 8.00am and closes at 8.00pm. Opens too late for my liking. Many weight /fitness trainers prefer early morning workouts. Also, aerobics is most effective on an empty stomach and done first thing after one wakes up. I do my daily 45mins on the Elliptical trainer machine at 5.00am before eating breakfast.

Plus if someone wants to go ashore for an excursion, he can’t use the gym in the morning. Anyway, I kept my weight in check (true...did not put on a single kg...my wife added 3kgs though!)by using the stairs instead of the elevators. As my cabin was in deck 12, used to give my legs a good workout!

More on drink packages, Theatre shows etc later....

Drink Packages:

As Malta is not the starting point of MSC Splendida’s cruise(Barcelona is) this has the disadvantages of not being offered to check and buy the Drink Packages offered by MSC in other ports of call. In La Valletta’s Cruise Terminal, we were told by MSC Officials to check these offers in one of the restaurants while onboard the Splendida later on. Not fair, but...

A very big advantage though is that we had no need to catch planes + all that hustle. And in fact drove to the cruise terminal myself in my car, and after just had my uncle pick up my car. We entered the terminal at 1.00pm, gave our luggage to the MSC Officials, and after having our photos taken and being given our cruise cards, we were escorted aboard. At 1.30pm, we were in our cabin.

As our luggage had not yet arrived, we opted to go for lunch in Pago Pago Cafeteria on deck 14. Four soft-drink cans cost us 11.20euro (that’s 2.80euros each), and a bottle of wine 15euro. Therefore, I went to check about these Drink Packages from the Bar.

I bought a soft-drink pack of 14 soft-drinks for 28euro (that’s 2euro each)...worth it. Also bought a wine+ mineral water pack at 139euro. Also worth it, too plus wine was of very good quality. This pack consisted of 6 bottles of red wine + 7 1lt. bottles of mineral water.

Wine Packages offered were:

“Classic” 4 wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water.....79euro

“Superior” 7 wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water.....119euro

“Prestige” 5 wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water.....139euro

“Solo Bianchi” 6 white wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water ...139 euro

“Solo Rossi” 6 red wine bottles+7 1lt mineral water...139euro

Water Package:

14 x Mineral water 100cl bottles.....20euro

Soft Package:

14 x Soft Drinks (cola, etc).....28euro

I bought an ice-cream pack too, and if I remember, it was some 20 euro for 12 ice-creams from the aqua park area.

The Strand Theatre

Main entertainments were the two shows held daily in The Strand Theatre. First one began at 9.30pm, and was aimed particularly for passengers who had chosen the First sitting Dinner. Second show started at 11.30pm and was for those that like me chose the second sitting Dinner.

One could enter the Theatre either by passing through the Royal Palm Casino on deck 6 (Ponte Canaletto) and keep going straight forward towards the theatre’s entrance, or straight into the balcony entrances from La Prua Piano Bar at deck 7 (Ponte Madigliani).

The Theatre is very beautiful and we used to find a seat in the balcony. But think that it’s constructed in a way to have good visibility from every seat. A word of warning to fellow cruisers that are a bit shy...don’t sit too much in front of the stage because on two occasions passengers were made to go on stage and take part in the show. I would not have minded this, but a guy or two were very embarrassed and refused to go on stage.

The show normally began by a short presentation in 5 languages, but was mostly made up of visual presentations like feats of balancing, dancing, spectacular laser shows plus singing, mime, and the likes. Shows were professionally done, and most were of high standard. But then, it’s down to taste.

If I remember correctly, each show or presentation (each had different acts in it) lasted about 45mins most. Well ,just in time to go for other shows/singing/dancing/buffets etc starting in other places.

It was forbidden to record by any means the shows, but still I got a few pictures without using the flash and by playing with the digital camera’s manual settings got a few stunning pics.

No eating/drinking or smoking is allowed in the Theatre. Maximum capacity is 1,700seating but was never more than half occupied. At times even only a third of seats were taken. This happened mainly because at the same time that these shows were taking place in the Theatre, other types of entertainment were happening all around the ship.

Every night, there are different shows, so one can check the “newspaper” of the day to know what’s on that particular night.

Again Beauseant great info!

Fitness room times might be a little bit of a bummer for my husband - he is like you and prefers to get it done with early when on vacation. Perhaps it is because of a noise issue with cabins. I'm an late afternoon/early evening exerciser so it won't matter to me. We are also on deck 12 so we'll also probably take the stairs for a workout (we did an Alaskan cruise with the couple we are traveling with and almost never took an elevator on that one.) As long as there are ellipticals in the fitness room we'll be fine.

The prices were pretty fair for both the wine packages and the specialty restaurant that you went to. The mediterranean restaurant probably is more expensive but judging from the prices you mentioned probably wouldn't be too much more per person than the NCL steak house specialty restaurant ($30/pp). Might be nice for one night.

Also nice to see that there was veggie option at dinner, with salmon and pasta my husband will be fine (he's usually sticks to vegeterian or fish). When we traveled to Tuscany we ate dinner at a little restaurant and the woman running it made a big deal over my husband ordering two "primi's" (not in a bad way). But she kept pointing him out to other customers and saying "two primi's" (half english, half italian). He loves his pasta! :) Knowing him if they are offering a primi pasta or risotto that he likes he'll ask them to bring it for primi and secundi. (excuse if my italian spelling).

I was going to ask what nights were the formal nights - and screening down I see you have it there, Barcelona and Messina. That would have been my guess as those are the two morning half day ports.

Again I want to thank you - I really feel armed with information about the ship, Malta, and the other ports. I haven't tried Google earth for walking routes - but will give it a try. It will be interesting to read Minty's take on things, also.

I can tell overall you really enjoyed your cruise, or you wouldn't be planning another again in March!

Hello again Buggins,

Yes we enjoyed our Splendida cruise very much. So now the problem is to have to choose between a Splendida / Fantasia cruise or a Nile cruise this coming March. A Nile cruise was always my dream, but am a bit afraid for my family’s safety due to security issues. Pity because Egypt‘s historical sites are out of this world. So, for now am undecided on what to book.

In the fitness room, you’ll find everything you’ll need for a good workout. ...Ellipticals included. I took a “forced” week off due to late opening times. And, in the afternoons/evenings I preferred to spend my spare time in the pools/Jacuzzis. Well, a week of total relax and getting a bit lazy will do one no harm.

BTW, another thing about pools, if you ever watched the MSC Splendida’s web cams:

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/flotta/msc-web-cam

(Click on Splendida, then click again on that small blue ship on the map)

...there, you’ll see two views; one of the Aqua Park, and the other a view of the ship’s prow. While in port you’ll notice that there’ll be passengers sunbathing in the prow area. If you check the ship’s deck plans, you will notice that there’s another small circular pool (not visible in the web cam) situated in the prow area. You can access this pool from deck 8, but only whenever the ship is in port. Went there once and found it a very quiet place. Seems not many people know about this area so if you want a little peace and quiet..... Shhhh.....

About Google earth maps. The method I used was to use the “ruler” tool, and plot my way around. That way, you’ll have an idea of the distances involved. I used to print the plotted map too (with street names) and so, was never lost. Did “old Rome” like this and saw more sites than those passengers that took the msc excursion. Using the “street view” tool, will help you explore those sites/streets virtually too.

So, hope that I have been of a little more help to my fellow cruisers, and hope you enjoy your forthcoming cruise on msc Splendida.

All in all, we had little negative issues onboard. For example, once while I was in one of the indoor pool's Jacuzzi with my little 9 year old girl, we were joined by 2 Italian guys and a French lady. I didn’t mind the words they were saying (I understand Italian) while these two were trying to make it with this French lady but, when one of these guys lighted up a cigarette, than that was it. I politely told him that this was a no-smoke area. One can only smoke on the port side of the outdoor pool areas, but not in Jacuzzi tubs!

He tried to be cheeky and pretended not to have heard and continued to smoke. So, I stood up from my sitting position in the tub and sent him “packing” in Maltese and English! He backed off and guess went to his mama. Was ready to make him eat the ciggie, but didn’t want this stupid “A” to spoil my fun. It seems that pool attendants close an eye on these happenings, more and more if done by Italians!

This ship is Italian, and so “some” Italian passengers think that they own the ship. Majority of Italians are fine educated people, but a few were full of arrogance. From reading the forums here, some English and US cruisers noticed that Italians don’t keep the queue on board ship and just push. Well, I used to do the same to anyone of them that pushed me, but with adding a sarcastic smile. Again, not all Italians are like this, but just to be warned. Was not going to mention this episode, but....

...at this very moment am watching the Splendida enter La Valletta....wow...what a majestic site!

Hi Again Beauseant,

Thanks for the webcam links. Given the time difference couldn't see the ship enter port - but did catch a bit of her leaving (starts a little after noon ET to about 12:17 p.m. for those in the US). Saw her in port on the first webcam earlier. Pool webcam is pretty neat too.

You have been a great help! Now I just have to keep the anticipation in check for the next few months. In the meantime I'll google earth and get an idea of some of the port logistics.

Thanks again, you have made the planning so much easier and given many good ideas and links for further research.

Hi Bugins,

As time here is +1 GMT, I guess that puts me 6hrs ahead of you. So, if I’m not mistaken, it’ll be a bit late for you to watch her arrival here....from about 0.30am/1.00am Wednesday morning (Eastern Time). But as the webcam updates itself very quickly, it’s a view worth watching. Plus Splendida doing that 360deg turn just infront of the webcam is something!Seeing "my" cabin always brings me nice memories.

BTW, There’s another Maltese webcam that is placed in Upper Barrakka Gardens, and has opposite 180 deg views of the port(will see 3 cities, Fort St.Angelo, Fort St.Micheal, Fort Ricasoli and lower Barrakka gardens too). But you can only see Splendida while she’s entering/leaving port from this webcam.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/webcam

Time flies...I booked in mid November and nine months raced by. All those countless hours doing research in forums/checking packing lists/ counting the days till her launching and my cruise on her, etc etc...

Than the day comes when you go to the cruise terminal, and see that immense white wall of a ship in front of you! Minty said that she did not cry when she saw the Splendida for the first time....well; as I was escorted onboard and followed the porter into her Atrium (glass lifts/Swarovski staircases and the rest) think a tear escaped down my cheeks with joy. (Well, only one :))

Tomorrow will write here the price-list of different clothing items, if sent for laundry. Any more questions, just fire!

Hi Beauseant,

I missed her leaving on the one web cam ( I was at work and I was busy at the time) and also wasn't quite sure what time she would leave (didn't have time to figure it out using the time zone charts). But, I caught her exiting the port on the upper garden web-cam. Did see her in port on the other cam. She is one big girl!

I would be interested in the laundry fees. We are traveling lighter nowadays and since we are flying a different airline from our transcontinental flight they might put a charge on for checking a bag. Might as well save the luggage fee and use that for laundry. However, I don't think the prices will be as low as we found on our trip to Nicaragua last year. Our hotel pur out laundry baskets and would wash whatever you fit in - for $5 or $10 (can't remember which - but it was really inexpensive.) First time we ever went home with clean clothes from a trip. :)

Hello pctravler,

Checked the MSC site and saw that on April 3, 2010, Splendida will depart from Genoa at 6.00pm., so its the same itinerary/times as my cruise 3 weeks ago.If you arrive there in the morning, you'll have more than enough time.

Genoa Aquarium is only 1 mile away from the cruise terminal where Splendida will dock. This Aquarium is situated on the left side of Splendida (with you facing the sea). It took us about 30 minutes to arrive there at a slow pace by walk. If you wish to go by taxi, it will cost you 150euro/person to the aquarium+return!!! (took a picture of a sign-post near the cruise-terminal with taxi fees on it and am not kidding). That's 150euro/mile! not even on Moon will they charge that amount I guess :).

Anyway, this aquarium is supposed to be the largest in Europe. Apart from many different types of fish like sharks/piranha/eels/jellyfish /sea tortoises etc, there were also mammals like penguins/snakes/crocodiles etc. Prepare your cameras! And as you won’t be allowed to use flash, better have one with manual settings.

This aquarium is part of a complex. ..but you can visit it only if you wish (depends on your time window).This complex ( Aquario Village) consists of the “Biosfera” (a biosphere with plants/birds etc), the “La Citta dei Bambini” (a sort of children’s big museum of toys/play areas and the likes), and The “Museo Del Mare” (maritime museum). A block ticket to enter this entire complex (called Aquario Village) costs 35eur/adult and 25 euro/kid 4-12. Under 4 years free.

Genoa Aquarium’s site: http://www.acquariodigenova.it

In short, the Aquarium opens its doors at 9.30am. Duration of visit was around 2hours. Entrance fee was 17euro/adult and 11euro/kid...under 3 years free. So, if you have around 3 hours to spare, pay this nice aquarium a visit.

After we went to a visit a Pirate Galleon, “Galeone Neptune,” just a stone’s throw from the same aquarium (on way back to the ship, and just before the Maritime Museum). This was used for a pirate's movie, and kids (+ big kids too like us) love exploring it. Only 5 euro to enter.

We planned to visit the Maritime Museum, but a sudden rain shower caught us in the open and so didn’t visit the museum all socked up. And this was just before mid August! So as you are going there in April, better take a small portable umbrella with you just in case ;-)

I am SO glad you posted your trip as I just booked this as a single for

11-5.

I will be happy that we port for 1 day in Valletta where I spent a week

@ The Castille and then a brief sojourn in Gozo.

Some seemingly stupid questions but I am on a tight budget:

I do not drink at all & eschew sodas; so can I get reg tap - no charge -w/my meals?

Can one get free coffee after lunch and dinner?

Conflicting reports re room service: If I want to order coffee so I can

get a jump on a port (as you wisely siggested) do they Charge for room

service or do I just give a tip?

Do you have any insights into other ports on your cruise? Specifically,

Marseille, Tunis, Messina, Genoa ...would be most grateful.

Hi again Buggins :),

Yes she’s a Big Beauty. Other cruise ships seem dwarfed by the surrounding Bastions and Fortifications, but Splendida out-sizes them. In 2004, the US carrier USS John F. Kennedy paid a visit to Malta, and in my eyes, think that Splendida is much bigger in appearance than this super carrier.

http://www.flightlinemalta.com/AerialPhotos/USSJFKCV-67/

So, next week make an appointment to see her entering gracefully the Grand Harbour.

Laundry:

In your cabin, you will find a form/sheet on which you can tick near the cloth items you wish to send to laundry. (Unclean cloth items are put in supplied bags.)

Regular service is collected before 10.00am and returned before 5.00pm the NEXT DAY.

There’s also an Express Service, with SAME DAY service which is collected before 9.00am and returned to cabin before 5.00pm. But this express service costs an additional 50% service charge.So, here's the list:

Gentlemen:

Jacket: 7.00euro/dry cleaning.....6.50euro/washing+ironing.....4.00euro/ironing only.

Trousers: 6.00euro/dry cleaning....5.00euro/washing+ironing.....3.00euro/ironing only.

Suit: 12.00euro/dry cleaning...........................................5.00euro/ironing only.

Shirt: 5.00euro/dry cleaning....4.50euro/washing+ironing.....2.90euro/ironing only.

Silk Shirt: 6.00euro/dry cleaning....5.00euro/washing+ironing.....3.50euro/ironing only.

Tie: 2.50euro/drycleani..............................................1.00euro/ironing only.

Socks: ................................1.50euro/washing+ironing................................

Ladies:

Jacket: 7.00euro/dry cleaning.....6.50euro/washing+ironing.....4.00euro/ironing only.

Trousers: 6.00euro/dry cleaning....5.00euro/washing+ironing.....3.00euro/ironing only.

Shirt: 5.00euro/dry cleaning....4.50euro/washing+ironing.....3.50euro/ironing only.

Silk Shirt: 6.00euro/dry cleaning....5.00euro/washing+ironing.....3.50euro/ironing only.

Skirt: 4.00euro/dry cleaning....3.50euro/washing+ironing.....1.90euro/ironing only.

Evening Dress: 8.90euro/dry cleaning....7.90euro/washing+ironing...4.00euro/ironing only.

Suit: 8.90euro/dry cleaning...........................................4.00euro/ironing only.

Scarf: 3.00euro/dry cleaning.......................................................................

Dressing Gown:...............................3.00euro/washing+ironing.....1.50euro/ironing only.

Nightgown: 3.00euro/dry cleaning....2.50euro/washing+ironing.....2.00euro/ironing only.

Others:

Shorts: 3.50euro/dry cleaning....3.00euro/washing+ironing.....1.80euro/ironing only.

Pullover: 5.00euro/dry cleaning....4.00euro/washing+ironing..................................

Sweatshirt: 4.00euro/dry cleaning...........................................1.50euro/ironing only.

T-Shirt: 3.00euro/dry cleaning....2.50euro/washing+ironing.....1.00euro/ironing only.

Pyjamas: 3.50euro/dry cleaning....3.00euro/washing+ironing.....1.90euro/ironing only.

Handkerchief: ...............................1.00euro/washing+ironing.....0.50euro/ironing only.

Underwear: 2.00euro/dry cleaning....1.50euro/washing+ironing.............................

Bath-Towel: .................................2.5euro/washing+ironing..............................

There’s also a note at the bottom of the form stating that in case of shrinkage, damage, fading etc, that can happen during the cleaning process, MSC’s responsibility is limited to a maximum of 100 euro.

phewww.... :)

Archived