The color of lifeboats

caribsun

I believe I know why they paint the tops of the life boats yellow or orange but they sure take away from the beauty of the ship paint scheme. Can't they put a white cover over the life boats and remove them when needed ? Is there another way to disguise the lifeboat, what if they install a smoke color plexiglass sheet in from of them. Suggestions. :)

I would rather see a colored boat that is ready immediately if needed. Sometimes I really don't even notice them so much since they are just part of the ship. If they put a cover on them it would most likely take precious minutes to get them off. Same goes for some piece of plexi. Also, it would just be another maintenance issue and $$$$.

I know this isn't a safety thing, but what do you do if you don't like the color of the carpet somewhere you are staying? Have them cover it up? This applies to many things. Just realize they might save your butt sometime and move on.

No I don't have any suggestions that you are looking for.

When you're escaping from a sinking ship, the extra minute it can take to remove a cover (one that's there for vanity reasons only) can be deadly.

Well said. I never understand why people put looks before safety. I never want them in my way while trying to escape. They would probably still be putting on makeup.

I don't think the orange or yellow of the lifeboats detracts from the beauty of the ship. It is, afterall, not a hotel but a sea going vessel and the nautical orange of lifeboats is appropriate and expected.

JMO......

I believe I know why they paint the tops of the life boats yellow or orange but they sure take away from the beauty of the ship paint scheme. Can't they put a white cover over the life boats and remove them when needed ? Is there another way to disguise the lifeboat, what if they install a smoke color plexiglass sheet in from of them. Suggestions. :)

Seriously?

What an odd thing to worry about. I've always accepted the lifeboat colors just as they are without a second thought. Maybe instead of putting a white cover on the lifeboats, the entire ship could be painted orange or yellow.:rolleyes: Kind of reminds me of the pink submarine in "Operation Petticoat".

orig.jpg

What an odd thing to worry about. I've always accepted the lifeboat colors just as they are without a second thought. Maybe instead of putting a white cover on the lifeboats, the entire ship could be painted orange or yellow.:rolleyes: Kind of reminds me of the pink submarine in "Operation Petticoat".

orig.jpg

:D Or even the Beatles' Yellow Submarine. :)

Lifeboats also need to have a clear and open path for both deploying and deck boarding. Having a plexiglass screen anywhere that would block their view would also likely obstruct their deployment and/or boarding, and - as with a cover - would be one more unnecessary step to be taken in removing it, delaying evacuation in an emergency.

I am sure that all aspects surrounding lifeboats falls under the SOLAS maritime regulations and altering anything that could interfere with the safe operation of the lifeboats would compromise that compliance.

I know! White wash. That way they blend in, but when launched, the waves will wash the color off, and the boat becomes orange again. I'm brilliant, I'll make a million selling this idea to the cruise lines. Why didn't I think of this years ago, I could have retired by now. :rolleyes:

Done here, filled my quota of inane answers to inane posts for the day.

Edited by chengkp75

If the lifeboat color clash is such a problem for you, perhaps you should only look at Disney ships in the future:

Disney ships have yellow-colored lifeboats, rather than the traditional regulation color of orange. Disney was granted special permission by the U.S. Coast Guard to paint the lifeboats yellow, in order to keep with the special color theming of the ship – the colors of Mickey Mouse himself.

If the lifeboat color clash is such a problem for you, perhaps you should only look at Disney ships in the future:

Disney ships have yellow-colored lifeboats, rather than the traditional regulation color of orange. Disney was granted special permission by the U.S. Coast Guard to paint the lifeboats yellow, in order to keep with the special color theming of the ship – the colors of Mickey Mouse himself.

Not really correct. First, the USCG has nothing to do with the ability of a ship to change it's color of lifeboat, particularly one that is not flagged in the US. Secondly, according to the Marine Safety Committee of the IMO, which promulgates the SOLAS requirements (and which is the only source for a change in SOLAS requirements), a lifesaving device must be:

be of a highly visible colour on all parts where this will assist detection

While "International Orange" is far more common (it used to be required), any bright color is acceptable. Various flag state and class rules interpret this to be limited to "strong chromatic colors", so that whites and grays are excluded. I believe that the Oasis/Allure boats are yellow as well.

Edited by chengkp75

This is an I really want to know the answer type question..... :)

Are Disney ships registered in U.S.?

If not, why would U.S. Coast Guard be the ruling authority as to color of lifeboats? Wouldn't that be the authority of the Coast Guard in the country of Registry? :confused:

Thanks.

As do most of the RCI ship classes - Oasis / Freedom / Voyager / Brilliance. The exception is Vision and Sovereign class, which are white bottom / orange top. Oasis and Brilliance class are white bottom / yellow top, and Freedom and Voyager class are yellow bottom / yellow top.

Unless "Disney yellow" is a special color, I guess they were granted special permission too or there is a standard yellow that can be used as well as orange.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If not, why would U.S. Coast Guard be the ruling authority as to color of lifeboats? Wouldn't that be the authority of the Coast Guard in the country of Registry? :confused:

Thanks.

Disney is registered in the Bahamas.

They had to undergo testing with whoever the powers that be are (maybe a combination of Coast Guard and other international groups?) to show that yellow shows up as well as orange when the lifeboats are deployed at sea.

Disney is registered in the Bahamas.

They had to undergo testing with whoever the powers that be are (maybe a combination of Coast Guard and other international groups?) to show that yellow shows up as well as orange when the lifeboats are deployed at sea.

The boats come in standard colors from the manufacturers, who are the ones that apply to the IMO for approval of the color. So it is nothing to do with the cruise lines, other than to pick out an approved boat color from the boat manufacturers catalog. The boats are not painted, that is the color of the gel coat of the fiberglass. Matching paint can be applied when the gel coat finish dulls too much to be attractive to the passengers (though the dull finish may appeal to the OP). Boats are waxed regularly to keep the finish from dulling.

Thanks.

I think the regulatory body is the IMO (International Maritime Orgnaization) which overseas SOLAS regarding lifeboat regulatations as, in particular with cruise lines, most ships carry foreign registry. The US Coast Guard I think simply enforces them with US based ship itineraries.

chengkp75 or aquahound could best confirm this - I am not speaking from a position of authority.

On the lighter side of this discussion, did you know that Schat-Harding Inc makes a majority of life boats found on cruise ships? They are based in New Iberia, less than an hour from where I live.

One item on my cruising bucket list and to visit them and talk them into giving me a tour.

I think the regulatory body is the IMO (International Maritime Orgnaization) which overseas SOLAS regarding lifeboat regulatations as, in particular with cruise lines, most ships carry foreign registry. The US Coast Guard I think simply enforces them with US based ship itineraries.

chengkp75 or aquahound could best confirm this - I am not speaking from a position of authority.

Yes, as I have posted above, lifeboat color is regulated by the IMO through the SOLAS regulations. The USCG, as a "port state" (any country that a ship docks at has port state authority over foreign vessels), can only ensure that the SOLAS requirements are met. There are some vast differences between SOLAS approved and USCG approved items of firefighting and lifesaving equipment. USCG can only require USCG approved items on US flagged ships, but can inspect foreign ships to ensure all equipment is manufactured by SOLAS approved companies, and are maintained to SOLAS standards.

The boats come in standard colors from the manufacturers, who are the ones that apply to the IMO for approval of the color. So it is nothing to do with the cruise lines, other than to pick out an approved boat color from the boat manufacturers catalog. The boats are not painted, that is the color of the gel coat of the fiberglass. Matching paint can be applied when the gel coat finish dulls too much to be attractive to the passengers (though the dull finish may appeal to the OP). Boats are waxed regularly to keep the finish from dulling.

I was typing my post as you posted yours. :) I always appreciate your posts and read your information with great interest - always learn a lot from you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On the lighter side of this discussion, did you know that Schat-Harding Inc makes a majority of life boats found on cruise ships? They are based in New Iberia, less than an hour from where I live.

One item on my cruising bucket list and to visit them and talk them into giving me a tour.

Actually, Schat Harding is based in Norway (Umoe Schat-Harding), and has 4 production facilities in Europe, two in Asia, and one in the US. I'm not sure where the boats are made, either New Iberia or Clearwater. There are also many "service" centers around the world, where their techs will come to the ship to inspect and certify the boats.

Edited by chengkp75