Smart Attire in PG

steilkurve

Crossing on QM2 shortly. Wondering if passengers are adopting the new smart attire code outside of gala nights. In Princess Grill, are men wearing full suits for these evenings or rather sports jackets/trousers as now shown on Cunard’s site. I’m totally ok with either. Just want to fit in. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Even in PG?

Even in QG! where we will be again in a few weeks on QM2. 50% will also wear ties.

Gala nights 90% tux's with the rest in dark suits.

This will be our 18th time in QG so we're starting to get the hang of it :-)

Few days ago in Queens grill a party of six, one man wearing a jacket with a cartoon tie loosely around his neck, other 2 men in open necked shirts without jackets. This was a formal night. Sorry, “gala night”, whatever that is. So I don’t think you need to worry about dress codes any more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, correction, it was in the commodore club, but the dress code should apply there as well. They were served without any problems, and the commodore club was almost full.

This is of course a real shame, but I'm not sure it's related to the changes in dress-code terminology recently. My experience on the QM2, QE and QV is that most staff, particularly at busy times, will turn a blind eye to dress-code transgressions, but upon request will happily remind guests of expectations.

As far as I am aware, all guests, have the same evening dress code in the Britannia Restaurant, Britannia Club and the Grills restaurant. Smart casual means only jacket mandatory for men. Ties required on formal nights. Enforcement is another matter.

Very few suits worn, but coats or sport coats are a very good idea. Looks good, fits dress code and comfortable with the air-con.

I would slightly disagree with this - suits are in the minority, but on our last four trips in PG/QG quite a few pax have been in suits on informal evenings. I agree with the air-con blazers are sometimes more comfortable though. I also bring several linen suits on board for this reason.

Sorry, correction, it was in the commodore club, but the dress code should apply there as well. They were served without any problems, and the commodore club was almost full.

Pretty big correction.

Just got off QM2 on Princess Grill and I saw every male wearing at least a sport jacket on casual nights, most including ties and the large majority wearing formal wear on gala nights.

Very glad Cunard has not joined the mass market crowd in slumming down evening dress requirements.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey ! a big shout out to some of the guys on these forums who are confused on what to wear and what not to wear 😉 on 'high end cruise ships,' including Cunard.

Book you self in for 2020 Cunard Transatlantic Fashion Week, We have some good work shops and suggestions what a gentleman should pack.... and wear 😉  

Currently on QM2 and the only disappointment is the dress code. Do not know if more are using buffet at night but ship is full but many empty tables in MDR on 1st sitting both on Formal and Smart Casual and many not adhering to dress code after 6pm even in bars that you are supposed to adhere to dress code. The most formal of bars the Commodore Club after 6pm on some nights there are some not wearing a jacket and wearing jeans and polo shirts and being served and not challenged by staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Currently on QM2 and the only disappointment is the dress code. Do not know if more are using buffet at night but ship is full but many empty tables in MDR on 1st sitting both on Formal and Smart Casual and many not adhering to dress code after 6pm even in bars that you are supposed to adhere to dress code. The most formal of bars the Commodore Club after 6pm on some nights there are some not wearing a jacket and wearing jeans and polo shirts and being served and not challenged by staff.

That's dreadful.

I was similarly disappointed onboard Queen Victoria earlier this year. 

Cunard certainly ain't what it used to be.

8 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Is it an American influence, do you think?

14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Is it an American influence, do you think?

No as on the return Eastbound crossing there are far less US than UK cruisers and first week there were over 500 German's and now there is less than 100 so don't think it's anything to do with nationalities just drop in standards.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

No as on the return Eastbound crossing there are far less US than UK cruisers and first week there were over 500 German's and now there is less than 100 so don't think it's anything to do with nationalities just drop in standards.

I've noticed some of the same things you've reported on the current QM2 crossing. I joined the voyage in New York and am wondering if you noticed similar things on the previous crossing from Southampton.

There seems to me to be a much larger than usual number of red cards on this "Literature Festival at Sea" voyage that began in New York. I am given to understand this voyage was heavily promoted by The Times, one of its sponsors. I get the impression some may have booked the voyage because of the literature festival without really understanding what Cunard is all about.

I haven't been to the Commodore Club yet in the evening. However, one of my table mates at dinner has lamented how the "literati" (as he put it) have been invading the Commodore Club before dinner, turning it into a more raucous environment than he's used to there.

None of this excuses Cunard for not doing a better job of enforcing the dress code. But perhaps it helps clarify the situation on this particular voyage.
Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1