New Internet Packages being offered

dstables

We are sailing on the Sea Princess this January out of Brisbane to the South Pacific. There is three internet packages available for prepurchase. All three are unlimited, Premium, Surf and Social. These sound like the packages that are being offered on the ships with the medallionnet and Elite passengers are getting the unlimited internet for free in place of their elite internet benefits. I didn’t think that the medallion was being installed yet on the Sea Princess so that’s why I am questioning if these are the same packages are what is being offered on the Regal and Caribbean Princess. And does anyone know if you purchase the package before your cruise and once you board if your Elite benefits would get you the unlimited internet for free will Princess refund your purchase?

We are sailing on the Sea Princess this January out of Brisbane to the South Pacific. There is three internet packages available for prepurchase. All three are unlimited, Premium, Surf and Social. These sound like the packages that are being offered on the ships with the medallionnet and Elite passengers are getting the unlimited internet for free in place of their elite internet benefits. I didn’t think that the medallion was being installed yet on the Sea Princess so that’s why I am questioning if these are the same packages are what is being offered on the Regal and Caribbean Princess. And does anyone know if you purchase the package before your cruise and once you board if your Elite benefits would get you the unlimited internet for free will Princess refund your purchase?

These are the PrincessCONNECT packages, faster internet, and yes they are the same as the Regal, Caribbean, Grand and soon the Emerald.

From what I understand the Platinum/Elite internet benefit will still be the by-the-minute packages, and there may be a possibility to change to an unlimited plan for a cost. I also understand that the unlimited internet that has been offered to platinum/elite passengers on some ships will soon be eliminated being replaced with the minute plans.

These are the PrincessCONNECT packages, faster internet, and yes they are the same as the Regal, Caribbean, Grand and soon the Emerald.

From what I understand the Platinum/Elite internet benefit will still be the by-the-minute packages, and there may be a possibility to change to an unlimited plan for a cost. I also understand that the unlimited internet that has been offered to platinum/elite passengers on some ships will soon be eliminated being replaced with the minute plans.

I'm on the Emerald right now using the Surf level. The cruise is a 7-day round trip from Seattle to Alaska. I'm not elite or platinum. Most of what I do is text and it has worked, but some sites are not working as well as others. But Facebook works, this site works, and GMail works, and almost all the news sites I've tried to visit from Google News links have worked. Even sites of competing cruise lines worked. Since Surf doesn't include streaming, even the thumbnail of a video linked from a web site will not appear. It is great to have only a daily MB limit instead of a total minutes limit.

I had had no idea that the packages would be different.

I think our Elite friends did get a different offer, which was the offer they were used to getting.

I'm on the Emerald right now using the Surf level. The cruise is a 7-day round trip from Seattle to Alaska. I'm not elite or platinum. Most of what I do is text and it has worked, but some sites are not working as well as others. But Facebook works, this site works, and GMail works, and almost all the news sites I've tried to visit from Google News links have worked. Even sites of competing cruise lines worked. Since Surf doesn't include streaming, even the thumbnail of a video linked from a web site will not appear. It is great to have only a daily MB limit instead of a total minutes limit.

I had had no idea that the packages would be different.

I think our Elite friends did get a different offer, which was the offer they were used to getting.

Thank you for your report from Emerald north of 48º -- where satellite bandwidth costs 10x more. Apparently the

daily limits are solving peak load issues better than I would have expected. Good news!

Still won't do much if you're docked in the wrong spot at Juneau or Skagway and there's a mountain between

you and the satellite. :(

Does the Emerald have the medallions yet?

Thanks

"Ocean Medallion" and "MedallionNet" are unrelated except that Marketing tagged both with "Medallion". :confused:

"MedallionNet" ("PrincessCONNECT" on non-***** ships) is unlimited-minute internet-at-sea that requires installing

new, ultra-high bandwidth satellite uplink equipment, no Medallions involved.

The MedallionNet/PrincessCONNECT equipment is being rolled out to the fleet much faster than Ocean Medallion.

Thank you for your report from Emerald north of 48º -- where satellite bandwidth costs 10x more. Apparently the

daily limits are solving peak load issues better than I would have expected. Good news!

Still won't do much if you're docked in the wrong spot at Juneau or Skagway and there's a mountain between

you and the satellite. :(

Yes indeed topography did cause trouble, no looking up Endicott Arm while in Endicott Arm. In Skagway we were docked right by the hill and LTE was available.