HELP Friend canceled entire cruise.

Taz2008

There were five of us booked in two separate rooms. I was in a room that the person that did the booking got mad and canceled our entire cabin. I still want to go with the others. Problem is, since I was in her cabin, I made my payments to her to pay for me, ( Like a fool I now see) Carnival shows, No payments from me! Therefore refunded ALL monies to her. Now, since yes, like a fool, I paid in in cash $400. But, I do have every text message between us showing the money being received from me. In order for me to go on with the remaining friends I would have to re pay for my cruise. Goes to show you, Never trust a friend, Even one of 40 years! Please if any of you seasoned cruiser's can give me helpful info, I'd really appreciate it.

Wounded in Ohio

There were five of us booked in two separate rooms. I was in a room that the person that did the booking got mad and canceled our entire cabin. I still want to go with the others. Problem is, since I was in her cabin, I made my payments to her to pay for me, ( Like a fool I now see) Carnival shows, No payments from me! Therefore refunded ALL monies to her. Now, since yes, like a fool, I paid in in cash $400. But, I do have every text message between us showing the money being received from me. In order for me to go on with the remaining friends I would have to re pay for my cruise. Goes to show you, Never trust a friend, Even one of 40 years! Please if any of you seasoned cruiser's can give me helpful info, I'd really appreciate it.

Wounded in Ohio

The room with the 3. Can it fit 4? If so, have the room captain call, and add you to the room. (if you want to go ultra cheap with 4 in a room). Or book another room and go single. (most expensive). Lastly, does one of the 3 want to cancel in the room and go with you in your room. This would be more costly for the friend.

Lastly, accept that you just lost $400.00 and forget about it. Not the end of the world. Just don't drink on the ship, and you will break even.

The room with the 3. Can it fit 4? If so, have the room captain call, and add you to the room. (if you want to go ultra cheap with 4 in a room). Or book another room and go single. (most expensive). Lastly, does one of the 3 want to cancel in the room and go with you in your room. This would be more costly for the friend.

Lastly, accept that you just lost $400.00 and forget about it. Not the end of the world. Just don't drink on the ship, and you will break even.

These are good suggestions. I was going to suggest one of the three from the other cabin move to your cabin so you don' t have to pay single rates. The only bummer might be if the rates have gone up since the original booking.

I had a friend like that -- after 20 years of friendship she retired and decided to just cut all ties with anyone at her workplace. Those type of people don't know the meaning of a true friend!

OP: Have you asked for your money back from her? What would be her reason for NOT repaying you for your portion paid? Is she mad at you and in turn is keeping your money? I guess I can see if someone gets upset then in a knee jerk reaction just cancels the whole room (mean and uncalled for without prior notice). This still does not give someone the right to keep someone's money in the long run, if she is a friend for such a long time then can you just ask her for reimbursement?

Wounded in Ohio

Do you know for certain she received full reimbursement from Carnival? When is the cruise date? For the flipside, I was beginning to arrange a cruise with a friend (only 2 of us in a cabin) and she wanted me to use my credit card to pay for the cruise and she would pay me cash. I explained, that's fine, but it's her cash up front before any reservations are made with my credit card and should she cancel and it's at a time that I do not get reimbursed by cruise line, she does NOT get her money back from me. She said that's not fair ... if I pay you cash ... you have to give me cash back! I said .... NO, that's not how it works. I lose my money cause you cancel? You lose your money too. Needless to say ... we never finished planning or went on cruise. But I was completely up front about my expectations.

If I'm not mistaken, when cabins are booked by individuals, accounts can be set up separately, So each person pays his/her own way, not dependent on one another. Years ago I traveled with a friend as well, but each of us had our own accounts pre cruise and on our on board accounts.

Wounded in Ohio

Sorry you got taken.

What a first class JERK spelled with a “B” - I feel your pain. A dear friend through thick and thin for 35 years went totally nutso, and individually sneak attacked every friend and every family member. We needed a survivor’s group! It’s going to take a while for you to recover from the betrayal, in the meantime the best revenge is to happily sally-forth and enjoy friends and family whilst the JERK-With-A-B simmers in her own hateful stew.

As for the lost money, there’s not much recourse, sadly. Carnival is in the $$$ business, but it couldn’t hurt to ask - as for the remaining party? It’s a pretty high expectation, but you never know. What’s their take on it?

Wounded in Ohio

I would double check with carnival on whether she indeed cancelled and was refunded. There might be some way to salvage part of the booking, pay a name change fee to replace her and move someone else in order to avoid single supplement. Depends on when the cruise was scheduled, the rate you booked under and how far along you are with payments versus deposits. Had you both put your names on the booking? Sorry if you answered these questions, this sucks to be in this position. I have had this happen to a friend of mine traveling with us but they ended up getting someone else to make the final payment and salvage the cruise. The original friend that booked was mad because she felt entitled to the initial part of the cruise fare, even though she was going to cause forfeit of the whole room had they not gotten someone to step in. Lss, keep us posted on what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Believe it or not some people do not spend all day on this site. The OP made the posts less than 24 hours ago so maybe give some time to see it they come back. As for the $400.00 dollars, to recover have really two choices, small claims court civil and in many states also the option of a criminal complaint. The criminal complaint may scare the person into paying, but the choice needs to be made by the OP.

Believe it or not some people do not spend all day on this site. The OP made the posts less than 24 hours ago so maybe give some time to see it they come back. As for the $400.00 dollars, to recover have really two choices, small claims court civil and in many states also the option of a criminal complaint. The criminal complaint may scare the person into paying, but the choice needs to be made by the OP.

So true -- time seems to fly on this board. I guess I get leery of previous posters who start one post with some horrific story and then never come back. ;)

I also agree with you that the only two solutions for the OP are the ones you suggested as it doesn't appear the friend is willing to do the right thing.

Small claims may not be the answer. Unless there is an easy way to collect the money even if you get it awarded. Most people do not get to collect the award because it is very expensive to do so, cars, retirement accounts, etc are protected from collection. You probably could put a lien on property to collect when it is sold which is alot of trouble for a small claim.