seaside YC review of 9/29

markf

Not to take anything away from the "Bugsy review" , here are some comments from the Yacht Club.

Background -2nd cruise in YC , first on Seaside , previous on Divina--overall about 35 cruises.

Overall a wonderful experience, but as they say nothing is perfect. And since this is cruise Critic, I am being critical--

Improvement needed in the following area--shows need to be enhanced, cant have Reviews each night--need a comedian or a magician , I only saw one show in middle of the week--very amateurish--Can Can review--don't want to be negative but I have seen better high school shows.

I rather not comment on the Cruise director, I heard one joke and it was inappropriate, I am not easily offended!!

Service on the 16 floor was almost always 5 star. Always willing to help get you drinks or whatever you want.

The 19th floor -, outdoor buffet,a little different, food was never served hot always sitting in chafing dishes, and it tasted that way.

They served lamb chops almost every day, and always luke warm at best--not sure why they could not be cooked to order.

Salad bar was most limited and seemed to be the same each day.A different experience than Divina--

Food in the YC dining room was also mostly served only warm , never hot.

One large difference between the 2 ships, is that the maître d on Divina made a pasta each meal. There is no room to do so on Seaside. You can ask for a pasta, which I did, but it took the waiters off course it took 30 minutes to be served pasta, but it was good..

The 18 th floor is below the pool deck, and you hear them cleaning and moving chairs.. better to be on 16 floor.

At times had to wait for someone to get drinks, on 19 floor, one day no one came around for at least an hour..of course you can get up and get a drink yourself--

Cruise critic meeting was held at 5 pm , with a cake etc. To me a bad choice of time--but they had drinks and music. I never did get the promised group picture that was taken.

I would book again , and I realize everyone works hard to do their best. I understand the pressure they are under week after week

Maybe you need to tell us a few things you liked, besides the good service on the 16th floor. You said "wonderful experience" and "would book again" but you gave one positive and many negatives? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the review. Which itinery were you on. Concerned about the 5:00 cc party. Ive been very involved with my Meet& Mingle group but have early dinner in steerage class..which means could be 5:15 or 5:30.

I didnt add specifics as many have in the past.

Service very attentive , open bar and open mini bar in cabin is great, and I am not a big drinker--

Food selection in YC, beyond the normal menu in regular restaurants.

From the moment you arrive at the curb of the pier until you leave there is extra special service.

any specific questions I am happy to answer--there were many more detailed reviews glowing about YC. I concur

Not to take anything away from the "Bugsy review" , here are some comments from the Yacht Club.

Background -2nd cruise in YC , first on Seaside , previous on Divina--overall about 35 cruises.

Overall a wonderful experience, but as they say nothing is perfect. And since this is cruise Critic, I am being critical--

Improvement needed in the following area--shows need to be enhanced, cant have Reviews each night--need a comedian or a magician , I only saw one show in middle of the week--very amateurish--Can Can review--don't want to be negative but I have seen better high school shows.

I rather not comment on the Cruise director, I heard one joke and it was inappropriate, I am not easily offended!!

Service on the 16 floor was almost always 5 star. Always willing to help get you drinks or whatever you want.

The 19th floor -, outdoor buffet,a little different, food was never served hot always sitting in chafing dishes, and it tasted that way.

They served lamb chops almost every day, and always luke warm at best--not sure why they could not be cooked to order.

Salad bar was most limited and seemed to be the same each day.A different experience than Divina--

Food in the YC dining room was also mostly served only warm , never hot.

One large difference between the 2 ships, is that the maître d on Divina made a pasta each meal. There is no room to do so on Seaside. You can ask for a pasta, which I did, but it took the waiters off course it took 30 minutes to be served pasta, but it was good..

The 18 th floor is below the pool deck, and you hear them cleaning and moving chairs.. better to be on 16 floor.

At times had to wait for someone to get drinks, on 19 floor, one day no one came around for at least an hour..of course you can get up and get a drink yourself--

Cruise critic meeting was held at 5 pm , with a cake etc. To me a bad choice of time--but they had drinks and music. I never did get the promised group picture that was taken.

I would book again , and I realize everyone works hard to do their best. I understand the pressure they are under week after week

Thank you for your review. I must agree with you on some of the short comings that you experienced.

We really enjoy the MSC shows ever night. We have been on many cruises and most of the cruise lines have like you say a comic and juggler. However, those are the nights that we don't go. We would rather see the singers and dancers. So, as we all know, different strokes for different folks.

The biggest thing that you commented on is the same thing that we rate MSC as lowest of all cruise lines on. FOOD - is very subjective. However, our opinion of MSC's food is the same as yours. Never hot when served regardless of the venue: MDR, Buffet, and/or Specialty Restaurant.

This is what we have experienced on the Lirica, Divina and Sinfonia. Really don't understand why.

Another thing about the food is that the selection is very limited compare to the other cruise lines. Buffet is not worth the time and effort. However, the morning breakfast in the MDR is great since you have a selection from the menu or the self serve line in the MDR. Again, this is our opinion and yes, we still cruise MSC. Our opinion of the pizza and pasta is that it is poor. But, some people think it is the best on the planet. Don't know which planet. LOL

MSC does do a fantastic job with the M&M. Only thing that I would suggest, like you did, is hold it at an earlier time and have the people introduce themselves. This way you can possibly put a name with a face.

We will be on the Seaside in Nov 2018. Will have to write a review of our experiences. You hit it on the head! Happy Cruising!

Maybe you need to tell us a few things you liked, besides the good service on the 16th floor. You said "wonderful experience" and "would book again" but you gave one positive and many negatives? Why? Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find that a norm on all the forums. More negatives than positives even when it was an excellent experience. However, when you ask about the experiences, people have a tendency to skip over the good.

Service should be always good or above, ship is always clean and elegant. Drink service at various venues are hit and miss.

Just an FYI everyday for lunch at the YC pool deck they have a made to order pasta that was ALWAYS amazing! I had it almost every day for lunch!

Keep in mind that this venue is CRUISE CRITIC--therefore the critical analysis.

Yes they made past and burgers fresh each day and they were served hot--

Actually on the last full day they cooked your choice at the pool buffet to order--not sure why only that day.

I was hesitant to complain on board, as I know the pressures they are under.

I also stated that while they try to sell perfection , no one can deliver perfection at all times.

But it is curious as to why in YC dining room they cant deliver hot food , steak was luke warm as were many other dishes

Keep in mind that this venue is CRUISE CRITIC--therefore the critical analysis.

You made me smile ... I have frequently thought that many reviews have leaned towards "Cruise Sycophant" ....

I have sailed on three YC's in the last year and the YC Dining Room food remains their Achilles Heel for numerous reasons, thermal "challenges" being right up there!

By the way I was looking to taste a hot piece of Pizza could not find one --always luke warm--didn't pass the New York Pizza test.
We got piping hot pizza delivered each time by a butler when ordered. Hot enough to scald the top of your mouth.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk