UHF CB's

keepcruising

Started new thread, so info wouldn't get lost amongst other stuff.

The CB's that we took were DIGITEC 40 channel 0.5Watt CB's, these worked really well this entire cruise, I can't remember comming across and black spots in our travels (thats not to say there aren't any).

Whoey, the 0.7 Watt Unidens would be more than adaquet.

I know this sound primitive but a rool of thumb we have told friends who are not technically minded is to check the number of batteries the unit requires first, you want 4 batteries per unit, the range of the 3 battery units is nowhere near as good. There were people on a cruise who had a 0.5 watt unit with 3 batteries, but the were practically useless in this environment, unless you could see the person you were talking to.

We find the CB's are a good investment even if were not cruising, specially with kids, they are a good way to keep track of them and to ensure they are ok.

Just being looking at this thread, I am about to purchase a set from Dick Smith's for $60.(Xmas presents for the kids) I consider these to be good value as they come with rechargeable batteries and charger. Has anyone out there in "critic land" had anything to do with these?

Stewart.

The Kids and me,

I dont know... if its these ones:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4369d84c0bca242c2741c0a87f9c0718/Product/View/D1793

They DO say 4 x AAA batteries which KeepCruising said was important.

When are you cruising Stewart?

Its a hard decision because you dont want to buy anything that might be weak signalled and a bit useless like those ones KeepCruising saw...

Yes those are the ones, we are cruising on May 21 2006 ( a long way off ) N616.

I cruised in the early eightys on an old Russian ship. Now its time to take my boys. I think the Dick Smith radios will work:confused: , they are .5watt which should have ample power and 4 battery units, so the rule of thumb gives it a tick of approval.

Stewart

• 1 month later...

Whoey,

Here is the ones i have.

http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh044_index.asp

They are uniden units and have a great range. I have used them 4wd'ing and camping and have had good to excellent coverage even in hilly areas.

In fact i have used them with friends and from my place to his about 2-3 km's through suburbia they worked great...

Dan

Yes those are the ones, we are cruising on May 21 2006 ( a long way off ) N616.

I cruised in the early eightys on an old Russian ship. Now its time to take my boys. I think the Dick Smith radios will work:confused: , they are .5watt which should have ample power and 4 battery units, so the rule of thumb gives it a tick of approval.

Stewart

Hey Stuart, the old Russian ship wasn't the Fiadore Shalliarpin (spell???) by chance was it:confused:

Kerri

Just following up on my original post about the CB's. Just to let you know, one thing that we did notice on our second trip with the CB's. Using dry cell batteries ie. not rechargeable batteries gives you better coverage both on and off the ship. This is because of the higher voltage per cell thus better power output.

Hoiipe this helps too

• 2 weeks later...

fortnkox,

When using our radios, we all just agreed on a channel, then all stuck to that one, I think on one occasioin we found others using the same channel. Then all we did was changed ours, to avoid conversation crossover. You don't usually come across too many people on the same channel though, as not to many people are using CB's on bpard.

Yeah that would be funny... 1,000 people plus all with CB's trying to talk at once.. lol :)

I don't think it would be hard to find a free channel at the moment so I wouldn't worry about it and then there is alwats CTCSS for private channels.

Let us all know how you go with the Digitalk units (when is your Pacific Sun cruise FortKnox?)

cheers.

our cruise is in 50 days (yay) :)

About time isnt it :D

Whoey, have you told your children yet?

Im also interested in the outcome of the walkie talkies as they may become an early birthday present for my eldest

Kazza:)

Archived