Pre cruise Prague or Budapest?

Chicagobearfan

We are doing the Grand European on Viking going from Budapest to Amsterdam in early October. We are interested in a pre cruise tour and Viking offers one in Prague and another in Budapest. We have not been to either city before and probably will not return to this area again. I know there is a long bus ride to get from Prague to Budapest where the ship will be docked. I don't know how tired we will be after the long flight from the US when we first arrive in Europe. Just wondering which city do you feel will be the best choice for a pre cruise experience.

Thanks

Al and Barb

I found Prague more interesting than Budapest, it is also more affluent and has better tourist support, though if you were never in Budapest you could easily fill a day or two there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can’t go wrong with either. The bus ride from Prague could sway you against it. We did Prague as a pre-tour and loved it. I think we had a day and a half in Budapest which hits some high points. If I get another chance I will find more time for Budapest.

We are doing the Grand European on Viking going from Budapest to Amsterdam in early October. We are interested in a pre cruise tour and Viking offers one in Prague and another in Budapest. We have not been to either city before and probably will not return to this area again. I know there is a long bus ride to get from Prague to Budapest where the ship will be docked. I don't know how tired we will be after the long flight from the US when we first arrive in Europe. Just wondering which city do you feel will be the best choice for a pre cruise experience.

Thanks

Al and Barb

Prague vs Budapest ... a difficult decision as both are fantastic cities. Myself, I am partial to Prague and our last trip was a week during their spring music/beer festival. Absolutely gorgeous city - never destroyed by WWII bombings.

We are again returning to Budapest this fall as our river cruise terminates there - will spend an additional 5 days in Budapest and surrounding area.

I suggest that you google the top sights/activities in both cities and see which most appeals to you.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but in your case I'd probably choose Budapest since it will give you more time there vs. traveling. I've also found that flights into Budapest are less expensive, if that matters.

We spent 2 nights in Budapest pre-cruise last time and really enjoyed it but wished we had more time to spend there. This time we're going back for 3 nights pre-cruise and then will head to Prague after we disembark. I'm glad I don't have to choose one over the other since I really wanted to return to Budapest, but didn't want to miss Prague as I've heard so many wonderful things.

Either way, enjoy!!

If you choose a pre cruise stay in Prague you will still see Budapest since the ship docks there. However, if you choose a pre-cruise stay in Budapest, you don't see Prague at all, correct? If so, I would choose Prague for that reason. We really enjoyed our 3 days in Prague.

We did both (on our own) on our recent Danube cruise, 2 days pre cruise in Budapest and 3 days in Prague post cruise. We loved both for different reasons. Budapest is larger, more varied with a lot of diverse, interesting things to see and do. Prague is amazingly beautiful but smaller and more touristy (quite crowded in the afternoon and evening). As others have said, you can't go wrong with either choice.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I think we will do Prague pre cruise since we will still get some time in Budapest as we cruise from there. As for getting from Budapest to Prague, I will enjoy the bus ride as someone else will be doing the driving and I can enjoy the countryside or nap!

After our Amsterdam to Budapest cruise, we stayed in Budapest for 3 days, went to Cesky Krumluv (2 nights) and then to Prague.

We used a private driver to go from Budapest to Cesky and again to Prague. Can't remember the name but it was wonderful. Stopped any time we wanted to (old communist boarder crossing from Austria to Cheque) and ate at a great out of the norm restaurant in Austria. We looked into buses, trains and planes and found a private guide was the cheapest and it was a great way to go.

You get more bang for your buck in Prague. In both of those main cities, the key to our trip was a private guided tour by Context Travels. Absolutely made our trip. Budapest was made so much more interesting doing a small walking tour with a phd level guide. Budapest was bombed heavily during WWII and rebuilt by the communists. Loved both cities! The guide in Prague from Context was able to take us places we would never have known about.

Guess I am the outlier here... my choice would be Budapest.

We have been to both cities a couple of times, and we found Prague extremely touristy the last time we went. Of course, if you haven't been there before you would not know it was ever any different.

There is so much to see in Budapest, we have extended there on 2 previous visits (having discovered on the 1st visit that there is never enough time there....). We will be there again in October (end of another river cruise) but are not extending this time as we have 2 days - and won't be doing the included city tour.

Whatever you decide on - enjoy!!

Fran

We did both cities on t,he same Viking trip you are on. We did Budapest by ourselves and picked up the Viking trip in Prague after a train ride from Budapest. Your travel agent should be able to help make the arrangements. You do not want to miss either city for at least three nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums