Best time of year to Cruise in Europe

GrammaRama

We are starting to plan a European River Cruise for 2020 for a group of seniors. Have done some research so far on itineraries, cruise lines etc. but am very concerned about how the water levels have impacted this years cruises. I know that we have no control over Mother Nature and that this year seems to be an exceptional year for heat and lack of rain but am wondering if late May or early June might be a good time to book. Would this time frame avoid the early spring high water problems and also be ahead of the heat/drought period of the summer months. Some guidance would be very much appreciated.

Very difficult to say these days, in years gone by it was very predictable when low and high river levels would occur.

The last 20 years, these predictions have gone out of the window, now it is anyones guess.

You ask about late May / early June, in June 2013 we had the worst flooding and highest water levels ever recorded along the Danube.

Even when the river levels are very low, there are two areas where the river is tightly cntrolled by locks, that have have / are avoiding the current situation. The areas are Danube (between Passau - Vienne) and Moselle.

I also hesitate to recommend May and early June for a river cruise if you want to avoid flooding completely. It might be safer to go late June/early July. I would choose an itinerary that is no longer than eight nights. To avoid low water you can choose a river that is a safer bet, like G.M.T. I suggest the Moselle. That river also has the advantage of picturesque ports where the ship docks close to town. There is no itinerary that only does the Moselle though, the combination is always with half a day to several days on the Rhine. As you mention seniors I advise you to bear in mind that quite a few ports of call do not have a port close to the sights. People with mobility issues might find this a bit much. Two ports spring to mind: Nuremberg (all companies) and Vienna (depends on the company). Companies operate shuttles but it could make one feel dependent on them.

The Seine can flood but has the advantage of not being affected by low water really. There you just need to bear in mind that the 135m ships dock in LePecq, not in Paris city centre. Again, you need to use the shuttle or public transport/taxi to get to that out-of-town dock.

Good luck with your planning.

notamermaid