Wusthof knives.

HootieTootie

did you find that the cost was better in Germany

I have not bought knives in Germany. I have bought knives in China and.....Greece? Can't remember the other place - it was ages ago. Cost in Germany will probably not be better than you can find in the US unless the exchange rate is really good. Depends. If you want a knife as a souvenir, cost isn't as important an issue.....

I feel like the cost of knives in germany has been discussed here in the past - have you searched for any older threads?

I would do a lot of comparison shopping online before you buy in Germany. I looked to buy Arches watercolor-paper, a French product, when I was traveling in Europe and found that the prices were the same or even more as I would pay in store or on-line here--and because of the price and where I was shopping not VAT refundable.

I found how to locate Wusthof's retail sellers in Germany: https://www.wuesthof.com/germany/retailer-and-service/retailer-rearch/index.jsp The same page also lists online outlets but I actually found the online shopping site for one of the retailers and was able to search for "Wusthof". Here is the results of that search: https://www.derhobbykoch.de/search?sSearch=wusthof I'm assuming that in-store prices will be similar. BTW, I don't speak German.

I then compared the first item on the list, a 7 inch Santuko with Amazon prices. Online price in Germany was 87€ ($101) vs $100 on Amazon. This is just one example and price difference may vary from knife to knife--and from store to store. Also, I don't know if the prices quoted include the VAT and if the VAT will be refundable. However, this is just one example and depending on the particular knives you are trying to buy, your results may differ. In an case, know the prices you would pay at home for the knives you are looking to buy before you go.

I have to tell you that for myself if the price difference were just a few dollars for the very same knife, I would buy it at home and save the hassle of 1) having to transport it and 2) having it count against my duty free limit when entering the US.

The Know Before You Go section of US Customs and Border Patrol may be helpful.

I was going to add that you can often find Wusthof at discount stores like Home Goods/TJ Maxx, on sale at Macys or Williams-Sonoma. And then I got an email from Haute Look (Nordstrom Rack) with their Wusthof sale today https://www.hautelook.com/events/249756?sid=1090794&mid=7349&aid=77841&cid=091818&utm_source=HL_Promotional&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=77841_2018_33_Afternoon&utm_content=tile2cta

So, price-wise you can probably do better in the US. But if you want a German souvenir, then you can bring it home in your checked luggage as desired ;-)

I was going to add that you can often find Wusthof at discount stores like Home Goods/TJ Maxx, on sale at Macys or Williams-Sonoma. And then I got an email from Haute Look (Nordstrom Rack) with their Wusthof sale today https://www.hautelook.com/events/249756?sid=1090794&mid=7349&aid=77841&cid=091818&utm_source=HL_Promotional&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=77841_2018_33_Afternoon&utm_content=tile2cta

So, price-wise you can probably do better in the US. But if you want a German souvenir, then you can bring it home in your checked luggage as desired ;-)

Once upon a time, like when I was a child, prices in Europe were a bargain compared to those items here. But then along came the VAT that everyone pays and now bargains are few and far between.

Once upon a time, like when I was a child, prices in Europe were a bargain compared to those items here. But then along came the VAT that everyone pays and now bargains are few and far between.

And the VAT refund process in many countries is cumbersome and involves a long delay – we are still waiting for the refund from our May trip to South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...