Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Retire? Horty isn't ready for that is he? Wexler isn't retiring. Shhhh don't tell him we are making him work longer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Horton is now 8 1/2, he's starting with the refusals to jump into my SUV. He's a big boy and CCI said that he would probably not work as long as Brenda did but they would leave it up to him and me. I'm so glad that they're doing this now and not asking us to think about retirement at any particular age.

Brenda worked until she was 11 1/2 years old and was using a ramp to enter and exit my car. She hated going to the market because of the slippery floors. I was treating her very gingerly before I finally gave in to applying for a Successor. But, I also had Morey at home to take care of her so I could get Horton. I don't want Horton to go to another family for retirement so I will have him work with me as long as he can. My daughter lives in Oregon and she'd love to take Horton but I don't think I could bear not seeing him as often as I wanted.

My job: To keep Horton as healthy as I can to allow him to work as long as he can! I have Brenda's ramp and I will pull it out if needed.

I want to wish all of you a wonderful, thankful and joyful Thanksgiving with whomever you will be with.

I'm now getting the Rabies Titer [blood draw] from my Vet, who was supposed to inform the Lab to send it directly to Hawaii.] Will this ever end? I'm getting the Vet's office to scan and email the results to me and I will hand carry along with Horton's other paperwork. I'll present it to the Agricultural Inspector in Kauai.

Sorry to hear about the rabies titer - I hope that doesn't cause any additional problems! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Dianne

Just got off the phone with the Bahamian agricultural people. Earlier this year someone on this forum said they'd had to get an import permit for their service dog even though they were not getting off the ship when it docked in Nassau. Turns out that I have to get an import permit for my service dog even though I'm not getting off the ship while it's anchored offshore at Half Moon Cay, the HAL Bahamian captive island. Utter pain in the ass, but there it is.

Just got off the phone with the Bahamian agricultural people. Earlier this year someone on this forum said they'd had to get an import permit for their service dog even though they were not getting off the ship when it docked in Nassau. Turns out that I have to get an import permit for my service dog even though I'm not getting off the ship while it's anchored offshore at Half Moon Cay, the HAL Bahamian captive island. Utter pain in the ass, but there it is.

No big deal......believe me, compared to Hawaii everything else is simple!

UPDATE: Apparantly the Bahamian government has changed their address for the Import Certificate - but have NOT updated it on the website main page!!!

The new address is:

Director of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture

Darvilles Business Complex

Gladstone & Munnings Road

PO Box N 3028

Nassau, N.P., Bahamas

FAX # 242-325-3960

I sent for one in August to the old address but never received it. Tried again late September. Still no luck. So just sent an International Money Order for them to fax it to me (eFax). Also sent a fax to them for snail mail. Hopefully ONE of them will come by January....

UPDATE: Apparantly the Bahamian government has changed their address for the Import Certificate - but have NOT updated it on the website main page!!!

The new address is:

Director of Agriculture

PO Box N 3028

Nassau, N.P., Bahamas

FAX # 242-325-3960

I sent for one in August to the old address but never received it. Tried again late September. Still no luck. So just sent an International Money Order for them to fax it to me (eFax). Also sent a fax to them for snail mail. Hopefully ONE of them will come by January....

Thank you for this.

Horton is now 8 1/2, he's starting with the refusals to jump into my SUV. He's a big boy and CCI said that he would probably not work as long as Brenda did but they would leave it up to him and me. I'm so glad that they're doing this now and not asking us to think about retirement at any particular age.

Brenda worked until she was 11 1/2 years old and was using a ramp to enter and exit my car. She hated going to the market because of the slippery floors. I was treating her very gingerly before I finally gave in to applying for a Successor. But, I also had Morey at home to take care of her so I could get Horton. I don't want Horton to go to another family for retirement so I will have him work with me as long as he can. My daughter lives in Oregon and she'd love to take Horton but I don't think I could bear not seeing him as often as I wanted.

My job: To keep Horton as healthy as I can to allow him to work as long as he can! I have Brenda's ramp and I will pull it out if needed.

Roz -

If Horton starts to slip on the slippery floors, have you considered toegrips?

The new address is:

Director of Agriculture

PO Box N 3028

Nassau, N.P., Bahamas

FAX # 242-325-3960

Good information to know - even though I am not going until next November, I am going to start the process early.

Does anyone know how strict they are about the health form being dated within 48-hours of arrival in the Bahamas? I will be on a Transatlantic cruise and I know I won't be able to meet the time requirements.

Dianne

Good information to know - even though I am not going until next November, I am going to start the process early.

Does anyone know how strict they are about the health form being dated within 48-hours of arrival in the Bahamas? I will be on a Transatlantic cruise and I know I won't be able to meet the time requirements.

Dianne

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I think they say 48 hours figuring that you are flying in. I try to get our stuff the week before we leave. Haven't had a problem yet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Dianne

Dianne your Transatlantic sounds wonderful. How long is the cruise? It brings a big smile to my face, along with some tears. We were planning a Transatlantic on board the Oosterdam when my dear husband got ill and we never got to take it, I'm not ready to do it without him, yet! One Day♥

As Cindy said, they know you're not able to meet a lot of the time constraints because you're traveling via cruise ship so there will be concessions made for you.

I would just make sure to have all my health certs. and I.D.'s in order and their Agricultural/Immigration Inspectors will pass you with flying colors.

As most of you know, I work for a HUGE non-profit agency that has been around for over 100 years and has offices all around the world.

Our main office is located on Wilshire Blvd, in Los Angeles right on the border of Beverly Hills. A really lovely location. I've been working in one of our smaller offices, about 26 miles from there, because it's closer to where I live. The CEO has decided to close the smaller office and has asked me to come to work in the main office. I accepted and Horton and I are packing up 20 years worth of "Rozzie stuff!" and moving to the big city........Got to pay for traveling with the kids!

Well, two people in the main office went to HR because one states that she is deathly afraid and allergic to dogs and the other says she's just very allergic. The HR Rep. called me and asked if I could go to the ladies room, kitchen and employee lounge without Horton. So, without thinking I answered "yes!" Also, they are going to try and move these two people as far away from Horton as possible.

I brought this up in a CCI Forum and they said this is a classic case of discrimination [against me and Horton] and I should be the one complaining, after all, they can take a pill for their allergies, I can't for my disability. They also mentioned that if a poll was taken as to how many of the 650 people who work in the building, have pets at home it would probably be close to 90%. Those folks are bringing in more dander and pet hair on their clothes and in their hair than Horton could ever expose them to. And, unless everyone is bald and naked, they should re-think their complaints.

I don't like going where I'm NOT welcomed. Geezzz! The folks here are ALL madly in love with my boy.......I'm going to have to walk around, with armor on both of us. Doesn't feel good. And, unless they put a gate on our cubicle or put me behind closed doors Horton will come looking for me if I take too long in the bathroom, or in a meeting where the two "allergies" might be. And, what if I decide I might like to visit the staff lounge.......and, by mistake I take Horton with me? I should be able to take Horton wherever I go, that's why he's called a "Service Dog!" Otherwise, I might as well get a pet to keep under lock and key at my desk!!!!!

My having a Service Dog with me was cleared in 2000 with more paperwork from CCI, my doctors and me than the U.S. Government needs for me to join the Army or the CIA.

What's your thoughts?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi everyone! We are just back from our cruise - we had two service dogs on board (more on that later as I'm not totally convinced about one of them!).

Roz - I'm going to give you back some of your own sterling advice you have given to others graciously over the years - Horton is your service dog, you have him because you need him - at ALL times. So to exclude him and, by default, YOU, from those areas which you are fully entitled to use at work, is not acceptable.

The hair and everything else floating around your office from everyone's pets from home has never affected these two people before? Gosh we even take dog hair and cat hair on holiday with us! ;p If their allergies are so bad they would already be taking medications for them. For the person who is also scared of dogs, I can understand that more and for me that would provide an opportunity to maybe have an "open session" with you and Horton so people can meet him and understand what a tremendous and invaluable support he is for you. Not that you should have to do this but I think education is important. We had to put quite a few folk "right" on service dogs during our cruise when some really stupid and negative comments were made!

I've just re read your post and I think you don't really need our thoughts, but just our support - so you have it in bucket Loads! You are clearly a valued member of the team at your work - not everyone is invited by the CEO to move offices and stay with a company when their office is being closed down! And I'm sure he/she didn't give a second thought that Horton would not be part of your move!

Horton and you are a team, don't let anyone make you feel otherwise!

Lots of hugs to you and the Big Boy! XX

As most of you know, I work for a HUGE non-profit agency that has been around for over 100 years and has offices all around the world.

Our main office is located on Wilshire Blvd, in Los Angeles right on the border of Beverly Hills. A really lovely location. I've been working in one of our smaller offices, about 26 miles from there, because it's closer to where I live. The CEO has decided to close the smaller office and has asked me to come to work in the main office. I accepted and Horton and I are packing up 20 years worth of "Rozzie stuff!" and moving to the big city........Got to pay for traveling with the kids!

Well, two people in the main office went to HR because one states that she is deathly afraid and allergic to dogs and the other says she's just very allergic. The HR Rep. called me and asked if I could go to the ladies room, kitchen and employee lounge without Horton. So, without thinking I answered "yes!" Also, they are going to try and move these two people as far away from Horton as possible.

I brought this up in a CCI Forum and they said this is a classic case of discrimination [against me and Horton] and I should be the one complaining, after all, they can take a pill for their allergies, I can't for my disability. They also mentioned that if a poll was taken as to how many of the 650 people who work in the building, have pets at home it would probably be close to 90%. Those folks are bringing in more dander and pet hair on their clothes and in their hair than Horton could ever expose them to. And, unless everyone is bald and naked, they should re-think their complaints.

I don't like going where I'm NOT welcomed. Geezzz! The folks here are ALL madly in love with my boy.......I'm going to have to walk around, with armor on both of us. Doesn't feel good. And, unless they put a gate on our cubicle or put me behind closed doors Horton will come looking for me if I take too long in the bathroom, or in a meeting where the two "allergies" might be. And, what if I decide I might like to visit the staff lounge.......and, by mistake I take Horton with me? I should be able to take Horton wherever I go, that's why he's called a "Service Dog!" Otherwise, I might as well get a pet to keep under lock and key at my desk!!!!!

My having a Service Dog with me was cleared in 2000 with more paperwork from CCI, my doctors and me than the U.S. Government needs for me to join the Army or the CIA.

What's your thoughts?

The two people with allergies are not your problem. That is their disability, not yours. You should not be made to change your life because of them. When my daughter was in college, there was a girl with severe allergies to dogs that was taking the same class as my daughter. She had to change classes not my daughter. Go where you need to go with Horton and let the other people work around your "medical equipment"!

Roz - I can only echo what Fairbourne and DKD said. Giving in on this might also make it tougher on the next person with a Service Dog or other disability.

I wish you and Horton all the best in your upcoming conversations with HR and management and please let us know what happens.

Keith

Hi everyone! We are just back from our cruise - we had two service dogs on board (more on that later as I'm not totally convinced about one of them!).

Roz - I'm going to give you back some of your own sterling advice you have given to others graciously over the years - Horton is your service dog, you have him because you need him - at ALL times. So to exclude him and, by default, YOU, from those areas which you are fully entitled to use at work, is not acceptable.

The hair and everything else floating around your office from everyone's pets from home has never affected these two people before? Gosh we even take dog hair and cat hair on holiday with us! ;p If their allergies are so bad they would already be taking medications for them. For the person who is also scared of dogs, I can understand that more and for me that would provide an opportunity to maybe have an "open session" with you and Horton so people can meet him and understand what a tremendous and invaluable support he is for you. Not that you should have to do this but I think education is important. We had to put quite a few folk "right" on service dogs during our cruise when some really stupid and negative comments were made!

I've just re read your post and I think you don't really need our thoughts, but just our support - so you have it in bucket Loads! You are clearly a valued member of the team at your work - not everyone is invited by the CEO to move offices and stay with a company when their office is being closed down! And I'm sure he/she didn't give a second thought that Horton would not be part of your move!

Horton and you are a team, don't let anyone make you feel otherwise!

Lots of hugs to you and the Big Boy! XX

First, welcome back! I hope your cruise was everything you wanted it to be.

Thank you for your advice. I'm just so darn sensitive to my Horton, as I was with Brenda. When someone shows dislike for him, I do internalize it!

For all of us who walk with a Service Dog, be proud, be confidant and don't let anyone try to intimidate you!

Thanks Fairbourne, for the love ♥

The two people with allergies are not your problem. That is their disability, not yours. You should not be made to change your life because of them. When my daughter was in college, there was a girl with severe allergies to dogs that was taking the same class as my daughter. She had to change classes not my daughter. Go where you need to go with Horton and let the other people work around your "medical equipment"!

Thank you so much! You are so right........When I remember to think of Horton [my love], as my "medical equipment", everything changes. The reality is I don't do very well without him! And, I don't go ANYWHERE without him out in the world, why I was willing to do it as a favor, on my job, was just me trying to make it easier for everybody else.....

There is strength in numbers.......I'm feeling alone and sometimes very small, with ALL of you I feel "big and strong!" Thank you ♥ Brenda was the very first Service Dog to ever work in my organization ever! It's not easy to be the first! Having you remind me of my rights, helps me to stay strong and just be me!

Roz - I can only echo what Fairbourne and DKD said. Giving in on this might also make it tougher on the next person with a Service Dog or other disability.

I wish you and Horton all the best in your upcoming conversations with HR and management and please let us know what happens.

Keith

Thank you Keith, I so appreciate your input and my reminder that Horton and I are setting the pace for those, who hopefully, will come after us!

Roz,

Asking you to leave Horton at your desk would be like asking you to leave a wheelchair there when you need it, because it doesn't fit well. It is one thing if you leave him because YOU need to leave him. It is another if someone else asks you to leave him "just because". It isn't like you work in a commercial kitchen, where he would not be welcome for a reason.

I've had a number of medical tests done the last few weeks. For a number of them, I left Scooter at home. I knew how hard it would be on him were I to take him. For one, I was under sedation, so I really would have no control over him. Another was 5 hours long, with no chance to attend to his needs. Home was the safest place for him.

I work with faculty from all over our campus. One of my regulars is highly allergic to animal dander, plus he is a singer. He doesn't like to take meds that will dry him out. Our solution is to meet in a conference room when we need to meet, rather than me either bringing dander into his office (that will remain after he leaves) or him coming to my cramped space with the existing dander. We make it work. Besides, our SDs are the most often brushed and groomed dogs I know of. We know we have the extra step, so we take the time to bring a clean and brushed dog with us. Just politeness.

Dianne your Transatlantic sounds wonderful. How long is the cruise? It brings a big smile to my face, along with some tears. We were planning a Transatlantic on board the Oosterdam when my dear husband got ill and we never got to take it, I'm not ready to do it without him, yet! One Day♥

As Cindy said, they know you're not able to meet a lot of the time constraints because you're traveling via cruise ship so there will be concessions made for you.

I would just make sure to have all my health certs. and I.D.'s in order and their Agricultural/Immigration Inspectors will pass you with flying colors.

Roz, our transatlantic will be 17 days with an additional week spent in Paris and London. I am working on all the arrangements now even though we don't leave until next October. It's very hard to find a wheelchair accessible room in Paris with the roll-in shower etc. since the hotels do not provide accessiblity information on their websites!

It does not look like it will be difficult to meet the requirements to take Henri to Paris and London; its the Bahamas and Bermuda that will give me the most difficulty!

Dianne

Roz,

Asking you to leave Horton at your desk would be like asking you to leave a wheelchair there when you need it, because it doesn't fit well. It is one thing if you leave him because YOU need to leave him. It is another if someone else asks you to leave him "just because". It isn't like you work in a commercial kitchen, where he would not be welcome for a reason.

I've had a number of medical tests done the last few weeks. For a number of them, I left Scooter at home. I knew how hard it would be on him were I to take him. For one, I was under sedation, so I really would have no control over him. Another was 5 hours long, with no chance to attend to his needs. Home was the safest place for him.

I work with faculty from all over our campus. One of my regulars is highly allergic to animal dander, plus he is a singer. He doesn't like to take meds that will dry him out. Our solution is to meet in a conference room when we need to meet, rather than me either bringing dander into his office (that will remain after he leaves) or him coming to my cramped space with the existing dander. We make it work. Besides, our SDs are the most often brushed and groomed dogs I know of. We know we have the extra step, so we take the time to bring a clean and brushed dog with us. Just politeness.

Barb, you are so right! Thinking of Horton as my "medical equipment" and then being asked to leave him when I go into certain rooms [rooms that should be accessible to me with Horton] was so unfair and really stung at my heart.

I'm not going to allow this to happen. My dog will go where I go and they will have to get used to it!

Thanks for the added courage!

What's your thoughts?

I am sure that this is making your move very stressful. I wonder if the "allergies" of the your new co-workers meet the definition of a disability and have they submitted the appropriate paperwork asking for a reaonable accomodation? I don't know much about California employment law, but they should not be able to limit where Horton can go if their allergies do not rise to the level of a disability. If they do meet the definition of a disability, your employer may have to accomodate both disabilities. It sounds like your employer is only asking you to make concessions.

Dianne

Edited by DUTRAVEL

I am sure that this is making your move very stressful. I wonder if the "allergies" of the your new co-workers meet the definition of a disability and have they submitted the appropriate paperwork asking for a reaonable accomodation? I don't know much about California employment law, but I wonder if they should be able to limit where Horton can go if their allergies do not rise to the level of a disability? And if they do meet the definition of a disability, it seems like they may also need to make some consessions since it sounds like your employer is only asking you to do so.

Dianne

My employer tells me that the two employees will be moved to the entire opposite side of the floor. Since we all work in the "campaign" department of the agency we are stuck on the same floor with one women's restroom......although there are bathrooms on all floors from the first to the 12th and they certainly could go up or down to use them, there is one kitchen on each floor and a staff lounge on the 7th floor. In the lounge are candy, coffee machines, pastries, recliners, couches and T.V.'s. Folks go there on their lunch hours or breaks to schmooze and snack.

I was asked if I could go into all of the above areas WITHOUT Horton? I stupidly answered, yes, I could. I said, "I feel badly that these folks are being put "out" because of me." The HR Director thanked me and hung up.

Apparently, the woman who has the fear and the allergies threatened to file a complaint with the EEOC if the dog was in the same area as her!