Carnival Stock - onboard credit

I am considering buying the l00 shares of Carnival stock. I like the perk of the $l00 onboard credit for 7 night cruises. I heard it was $50 for less than 7 days? I've never bought any specific stock before. I have some "Deferred Comp." with a mixture of funds bought thru my employer. Where exactly do you go to buy Carnival stock? Who has it and likes it or thinks not worth it? What are the dividends like? I am booked on a cruise in Oct. for 7 nights. I heard you can still get the credit if you buy the stock before the cruise even if booked. Need advice - help :)

I've retired and my husband plans to in the next 6 months or so. We hope to go on more "last min." good deal cruises. We are VIP - Platinum w/Carnival.

You can buy the stock through any (online) stock broker. Some of them only charge like 7-9 for a purchase or sale. Since we sail Carnival a lot, it is an added benefit not withstanding the 2% yearly dividend (not great, but something). We purchased it as a long-term investment. Some go up, some go down. Usually if you hold it long enough, you will at least break even between the extra OBC and dividends (which you can re-invest if you don't need the extra funds).

So, if you plan on continuing to travel on Carnival or any of its sister companies (e.g., Holland America, Princess), it may not be a bad investment.

Steve

We have owned CCL stock for years. It pays a $1.00 per share annual dividend and of course the OBC for each cruise. The OBC is a great perk. and we think the Company is a good investment. Any broker can help you with your purchase. Enjoy!

We have owned CCL stock for years. It pays a $1.00 per share annual dividend and of course the OBC for each cruise. The OBC is a great perk. and we think the Company is a good investment. Any broker can help you with your purchase. Enjoy!

Do you know if the OBC's be used on all carnival sister company's?

Princess Cruises

Holland America Line

Seabourn Cruise Line

P&O Cruises

Cunard Line

Ocean Village

AIDA Cruises

Do you know if the OBC's be used on all carnival sister company's?

Princess Cruises

Holland America Line

Seabourn Cruise Line

P&O Cruises

Cunard Line

Ocean Village

AIDA Cruises

You buy stock in Carnival Corp, not Carnival Cruise Lines. This means the credit is for any line that is owned by Carnival Corp. (NYSE -- CCL)

Yes, it can be used on the other lines Carnival owns. I purchased my 100 shares earlier this year ( 3 days before a booked cruise, and got the OBC for that cruise), and think if you cruise CCL, it is a no brainer. I have another cruise booked in November, and have the OBC for that one too. Go for it - my financial advisor said it is a solid stock.

We have not owned our stock that long and with OBC and dividends when have gotten $1000. Plus the stock is up about $9 a share. Its a win-win for us at this point.

Owning stock can be a great investment but remember it should always be a long term investment. You should not need the funds invested for at least five years. I have owned Carnival for over a year and think it is a great long term investment. Good dividend and nice perk with the OBC. But believe in the company and their longtime term focus before investing. Find a discount brokerage and it is easy. Do not buy it just for the OBC!

Clay.

Owning stock can be a great investment but remember it should always be a long term investment. You should not need the funds invested for at least five years. I have owned Carnival for over a year and think it is a great long term investment. Good dividend and nice perk with the OBC. But believe in the company and their longtime term focus before investing. Find a discount brokerage and it is easy. Do not buy it just for the OBC!

Clay.

I second this - don't buy for just the OBC. Always be prepared to lose your money when dealing in stocks, no matter who you are investing in.

Also, while not likely to go away, the shareholder credit isn't guaranteed. It has to be renewed each year so it could one day go away. Dividends have been paid here recently but several years ago were suspended for a time so don't count on those, either.

I LOVE my OBC!!! It's been a true benefit. And as often as I cruise, It's helped pay for the stock!!!

As everyone says, It works on all seven sisters, and On Carnival Cruises it is $50, $100, or $250 on 14 or more days... But B2Bs only count as two 7 day cruises... I did find that out!!! ;)

Hope you enjoy your cruises!!!

We have Carnival stock as part of DH's retirement account. We didn't buy it for dividends. It was strictly for OBC. Sailing 4 to 7 times a year racks up a lot of extra OBC.

Sounds like you have already obtained your initial investment back in OBCs... The dividends are just extra icing :)

Yes, it can be used on the other lines Carnival owns. I purchased my 100 shares earlier this year ( 3 days before a booked cruise, and got the OBC for that cruise), and think if you cruise CCL, it is a no brainer. I have another cruise booked in November, and have the OBC for that one too. Go for it - my financial advisor said it is a solid stock.

Thanks for all the replies! I like your financial advisor saying it was a solid stock! I do plan to buy some. :D

Will you still get the credit if you purchase stock after you have booked your cruise?

Yes. as long as you apply for the credit before you get to the cruise ship, preferably at least a week before. Carnival doesn't know when you made the purchase.

Steve

Edited by snc_cam

• 2 weeks later...