Art Auctions?

Bill B

I was surprised to read on this thread https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2562222 this by jollyjones -

"However, to go a little off topic, I was rather surprised when I boarded in New York to find the main public corridors cluttered with large pictures on easels, and to read about art lectures and art auctions in the Chronicles. The pictures are huge and astoundingly ugly (IMO) so I did wonder at first if it was a very clever ironic exhibition to highlight the essential meaningless subjectivity of 'art', but apparently they are ordinary art auctions, just like onboard the mainstream lines."
I hate art auctions on cruise ships. You may say "Then don't go". The trouble is, on other lines (Princess) they are intrusive - you find passageways littered with 'art' (on easels) and they close down venues to hold the auctions.

Most of the art I wouldn't hang on my wall if given it for free. I don't want to look at anthropomorphic olives or fairy cottages in dappled sunlight being flogged (at vastly inflated valuations) by a guy who could sell snake oil to used car salesman.

I didn't know SS had art auctions. I'm new to SS and thought when I booked my cruise - 'Good... a luxury line that doesn't try to generate on board revenue at every turn.' Are these art auctions something new for SS?

I share your aversion to art auctions, and I was surprised to learn that Silversea maybe introducing them. This has not been a "feature" of the line in the past. Regent had (and may still have) art auctions. They were, as you suggest, very obtrusive. It was one of several reasons I quit selling them.

I hope that the OP was mistaken or that this was a one off experience on Whisper. Could a current passenger let us know?

I am not mistaken, it's certainly happening although whether it's just for this voyage or will become a regular feature I don't know. The auctions are cluttering up the Panorama lounge every so often but I stay well clear, I am totally not interested. There are many adverse comments from other pax.

It's very reminiscent of Princess and similar lines except that they don't have to bribe pax to attend with "free champagne ".

If I think of it, I guess I could ask if they intend to continue, but I expect they'll prevaricate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bill,

I guess it is simply,another revenue stream. Each revenue stream in theory reduces the cost of the fare. Faced with that sort of choice many people would be happy to have the fare a touch cheaper and simply avoid the art. :)

I would not welcome that trade if it meant having the auctioneer/salesperson try to hit me up in the bar.

I would not welcome that trade if it meant having the auctioneer/salesperson try to hit me up in the bar.

I'm sure you can look after yourself O! :D

Thinking about this ..... there is a growing niche industry targetted towards ultra high net-worth individuals where these people get invited to extremely tempting luxury events where the organisors earn their cash from businesses wishing to sell to that sector and they are willing to "buy-in" access. I wonder whether a model might be viable where SS turfs over more space to businesses targeting the group and the cruise is free or much cheaper to punters. It would simply be extending what they currently do to a more extreme conclusion. A characteristic of this group is that they have more cash than they can spend and not enough leisure to spend it. So perhaps five nights on Muse for free where they can splurge out might attract some high rollers.

Bill,

I guess it is simply,another revenue stream. Each revenue stream in theory reduces the cost of the fare. Faced with that sort of choice many people would be happy to have the fare a touch cheaper and simply avoid the art. :)

Yes, but where does it stop? You could well end up with the Lobby full of tables selling gold chains by the inch, delivery charges for the 'free' room service food... and them selling deck space around the pool.

It's probably the first step in the 'cheapening' of the line.

If the artwork on the Muse is anything to go by, I doubt Silversea will get too much revenue.

It wouldn’t bother me if SS were holding these auctions, providing it wasn’t being done in a venue I wanted to be.

Panarama lounge at 3am sounds perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our first Silversea Cruise on the Shadow in 2009 we attended a lecture on art. Then the person walked us around the ship to point out items on the wall. We didn't realize they were for sale. We attended the next talk and this was followed by a walk around the ship to look at art and it was on this walk that we learned we could purchase the items. A day or so later we saw the lecturer and that is when the "hard" sell began. This was not an auction but the focus of this was to sell the art work. I have no idea if this was a routine program back then but likely someone on this board would know.

We didn't purchase any of the work. Personally I would never do this on a cruise but I am sure some did.

Keith

On our first Silversea Cruise on the Shadow in 2009 we attended a lecture on art. Then the person walked us around the ship to point out items on the wall. We didn't realize they were for sale. We attended the next talk and this was followed by a walk around the ship to look at art and it was on this walk that we learned we could purchase the items. A day or so later we saw the lecturer and that is when the "hard" sell began. This was not an auction but the focus of this was to sell the art work. I have no idea if this was a routine program back then but likely someone on this board would know.

We didn't purchase any of the work. Personally I would never do this on a cruise but I am sure some did.

Keith

This sounds like the original loud mouthed 'f*rt' director, whose name currently escapes me. When Choosi introduced the 'artistes of Silversea' he complained about the use of the name, claiming he was the Artiste!

The guy on the Spirit, Rami Ron, does sell, but is much more subtle.

Can I replace "art auctions" with "bingo"? I'll spare you the bingo rant (terrible odds, blocking off a venue, oops, there I go), but even on the mega-ships, the auctions only block off one lounge/venue, and they are super easy to avoid.

And yeah, you can easily get ripped off by paying too much for art on a ship. Guess what? You can also get ripped off paying too much for watches, clothing, sundries, etc, on a ship. Everything should be considered as Buyer Beware.

Keith's post reminds me that I have seen very small labels with prices on art hanging in corridors and other public spaces. There may have been someone trying to sell the art, but I can't recall meeting that person or seeing an announcement in CHRONICLES of arrangements. If there are small labels with prices and the salesperson doesn't hassle me, I have no problem with the arrangement. In fact, it may have advantages in that the art is refreshed from time to time with new offerings. But please no auctions with easels blocking the path to the dining room, posters announcing the opportunity to buy a Dali, taking over space where passengers might like to sit and read and talk and watch the scenery.

The worst part of art auctions is that they are CROOKED! You can buy the same art for far less on land. The art auction companies have been sued in the past for the way they do business. And I don't think Dali or Miro ever produced enough work to supply all the auctions on all the ships that offer their work.

Henry I agree.

Even the art that was being sold on our cruise was very questionable.

For example, Picasso. Well not really. When you get into the details it was by his students. That is a big difference.

Either way I am a believer that big purchases like that (it was not cheap) along with jewelry (unless you can price it out because it is designer jewelry) is best to be purchased back home. I think often people make impulse decisions and regret it.

As to the auctions Art Work is way overpriced. Most are just copies and if not you can do better on land as Henry said.

Keith

I share your aversion to art auctions, and I was surprised to learn that Silversea maybe introducing them. This has not been a "feature" of the line in the past. Regent had (and may still have) art auctions. They were, as you suggest, very obtrusive. It was one of several reasons I quit selling them.

I hope that the OP was mistaken or that this was a one off experience on Whisper. Could a current passenger let us know?

You can malign Regent for other things if you so desire; but not art auctions. They haven't had them for years. I'm shocked to find that Silversea has them. I guess that's just another activity to avoid.

This sounds like the original loud mouthed 'f*rt' director, whose name currently escapes me. When Choosi introduced the 'artistes of Silversea' he complained about the use of the name, claiming he was the Artiste!

The guy on the Spirit, Rami Ron, does sell, but is much more subtle.

I believe you are referring to Michael Judge. We have not been on the Shadow in a number of years, and I don't know if he is still trying to sell the "art".

Some feel the art, pre and post hotel, transfers, cruise insurance, onboard shop items, spa services and shore excursions are overpriced and others use and enjoy them. My advice is buy and use the services you enjoy and pass up the rest. As some say we are lucky to have so many choices.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

On my recent cruise on the Muse, there was no art auction nor was there a cobbler. There was, however, a jeweler and his cohort salesman. They didn't sell gold by the inch on tables in the hall. The prices were unbelievablely high. There was a jewelry trivia, and the prize was a 300$ off certificate. I don't think that discount would help much.

And Yes Emtbsam, that art hawker was Michael Judge. Good grief, I hope the "art" auctions are not coming back!

On my recent cruise on the Muse, there was no art auction nor was there a cobbler. There was, however, a jeweler and his cohort salesman. They didn't sell gold by the inch on tables in the hall. The prices were unbelievablely high. There was a jewelry trivia, and the prize was a 300$ off certificate. I don't think that discount would help much.

And Yes Emtbsam, that art hawker was Michael Judge. Good grief, I hope the "art" auctions are not coming back!

So you don’t fancy buying some of the Muse artwork? :p

Must admit I don’t recall anything being hawked aside future bookings on the Muse and I’ve always been of a mind that as long as things are not pushed or I’m persistently asked, then it’s of no concern. I agree with your sentiment about exploitation though. It’s a bit like locals in a tourist spot taking advantage of your lack of price knowledge and exchange rate naivety.

I believe you are referring to Michael Judge. We have not been on the Shadow in a number of years, and I don't know if he is still trying to sell the "art".

He is long gone. Happened to be on Spirit with him shortly after his dismissal. I was surprised he lasted so long.

Currently on the Whisper the guy flogging the art, with the pretentious title of Art Group Leader, is Mitchel Carter.

I'd be happy just to ignore it all but there are huge easels with huge and hugely ugly pictures on them cluttering up the hallways. Impossible to walk by without them falling into ones eye-line and evincing a shudder of disgust.

I also feel there is a stronger emphasis on pushing the designer clothes and jewelry than usual but I may be hypersensitive, not sure. No idea of the prices, haven't looked.

No cobbler. What a relief, I always felt so sorry for the man bored to tears (and freezing in cold weather) as he did no business whatsoever.

I'd be happy just to ignore it all but there are huge easels with huge and hugely ugly pictures on them cluttering up the hallways. Impossible to walk by without them falling into ones eye-line and evincing a shudder of disgust.

This is very sad news. Hope it is confined to Whisper and is a brief, failed experiment. If they are recarpeting all of the hallways as is reported, perhaps the art and easels will be lost during the work.

Do others onboard share your perspective? Have you/they talked with HD about this?

I have to add my voice to those not wanting art auctions like the mass market cruise lines conduct. As it is I’ve always been mildly amused by the art on the Spirit and the Wind being for sale and have often wondered if they ever sell any of it. Of course I also think the same way about the extraordinary amount of space dedicated to the high end, at least cost wise, jewelry and clothing and wonder how that endeavor has managed to survive. As for the cobbler we’ve been on two Med cruises on the Spirit with the cobbler but not on our Caribbean cruise on the Wind. Can’t imagine the poor guy would do well selling sandals on a cold weather itinerary. In the Med he seemed to be doing quite well.