Carry On Luggage Quick Question....

Bo1953

Hello all,

I have searched the "General" boards and have not found a home for this question and wondered what X passengers use and/or prefer.

It is time for new carry on luggage and as I prefer hard sided luggage, I Am asking here on CC what others prefer and the brand... I have Delsey now which has served us well for over 12 years and it has been a real trooper alas, time to retire it...

TIA for your input and thoughts...

Hello all,

I have searched the "General" boards and have not found a home for this question and wondered what X passengers use and/or prefer.

It is time for new carry on luggage and as I prefer hard sided luggage, I Am asking here on CC what others prefer and the brand... I have Delsey now which has served us well for over 12 years and it has been a real trooper alas, time to retire it...

If it were me I would purchase the Delsey luggage again..They are having a big sale on e-bay of Delsey..

https://www.ebags.com/brand/delsey?sourceid=MSNKNBLU&couponid=94790994&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brands%20-%20Luggage%20%26%20Travel&utm_term=delsey%20luggage%20reviews&gclid=CIH2iqDew9cCFTS6swod4zgJzQ&gclsrc=ds

We presently are using American Tourister soft sided but next time I will seriously look at the Delsey spinners..

Forgot to mention be careful about the size of your carry-on..Many airlines require different sizes for carry-on luggage & might require you to check the bag in. See https://www.ebags.com/BuyingGuides/luggage-and-travel/carry-on-luggage-size

Several Psgrs have been complaining about the sizes listed..

Edited by serendipity1499

We've also been fans of Delsey pieces lately. The quality is great for the price. I stopped buying really expensive luggage. It's easier to trash the less expensive items and replace them after a few years of abuse.

The only downside I find with hardsided carry-on bags is the lack of exterior pockets. I like to be able to slide my iPad, wallet, phone, papers, etc. in a front pocket if I need to and almost all hard sided pieces don't allow that. The Delsey Titanium does have a separate front compartment, but it's much bigger than a regular pocket you'd find on a soft bag. There are several outlet websites where you can find them for way less than retail.

Bo

You might want to consider the hard sided luggage sold at Costco. I have had a good experience with a carry-on suitcase that I believe is poly carbonate and is light weight. It came as part of a two piece set, but I know they have sold the carry on size as an individual purchase.

We've so many different allowed sizes in Europe that are all smaller than USA flights that we have a mixture. I love our delsey spinners and our samsonite ones too, DH bought a great samsonite one that the exterior is waterproof but I have to say my favourite is a cheaper spinner version that has multiple exterior pockets including a waterproof pocket in case you've not got your swimwear dry. This luggage brand is IT luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just bought new luggage... I looked for a spinner, dual wheels (total of 8 wheels), hard sided, handles that lay flat and a built in TSA lock. I bought Tommy Hilfiger. I haven't used them yet, but it seems very well built. I bought 24" and 20".

Hello all,

Bo1953...we have also recently retired our Delsey luggage that has served us so well world wide! For our main luggage the swap was easy as we loved the ease of pushing and design of the Samsonite....

We struggled on choosing hard cased hand luggage, however. Hand luggage with ‘pockets’ is so much easier. We ended up as our holiday was fast approaching buying a ‘cheap’ nest of two wheely hand luggages on the net which meet the long hall and local criteria so we can pick and choose which one (or both) to take. They have outside and inside pockets, locks....At the low price we paid we honestly just saw them as a ‘filler’ until we spotted exactly what we wanted but I must confess we are now in no rush to change....

We've been using travelpro, but unless you can get it at a really good price (we buy it at a discount mall and only when it's on extra sale) it's probably not worth the money. All of our bags are scuffed, the outer fabric is pulling away from it's backing...we had a handle fall off when carrying a bag. We've had equivalent issues with Samsonite which seems to keep getting more expensive for no reason.

We don't mind travelling with old, beat up luggage....it reduces the temptations....no one bothers to look at or in our bags anymore....so we just keep taking the same travelpros with us. Easy to spot our luggage because I used a piece of silver duct tape to hold one of the splitting seams together. We've looked at hard sided luggage, but we always stuff either a sweater or raingear or whatever in the front zipper compartment of our softsided checked baggage so it's easy to get to. I would never buy hard sided carry-on luggage...you want outside pockets and something that's a little squishable to get it into the overhead compartments.

You do want to be careful picking your carry on....some of the commuter/discount airline planes have very limited overhead space and a standard 20" hard/soft carry-on won't fit the overheads.

So for what it's worth, I'm sure more expensive luggage would look better...but not sure it would be worth the money. We view luggage as a disposable expense, not an investment.

We travel a lot in UK and Europe. We bought Rick Steve’s carryons. They are 7 years old and indestructible. Lots of outside pockets and they fit measurements for every airline we’ve ever flown. If I use packing cubes, I can pack for 2 weeks using one of these bags.

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/rolling-carry-on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We travel a lot in UK and Europe. We bought Rick Steve’s carryons. They are 7 years old and indestructible. Lots of outside pockets and they fit measurements for every airline we’ve ever flown. If I use packing cubes, I can pack for 2 weeks using one of these bags.

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/rolling-carry-on

looks like a nice, low cost bag. It is 2 wheel vs today's fashion trend: 4 wheel .... which I don't care about, but others may. It looks like it might hold all the gadgets, photo equipment, computers, chargers, tablets, ipads and laptops that seem to creep into the carry-on. I might even buy one, because I think one of our travel pro's has a bad zipper :)

Based on our experience, luggage and indestructable can not be used in the same sentence.

looks like a nice, low cost bag. It is 2 wheel vs today's fashion trend: 4 wheel .... which I don't care about, but others may. It looks like it might hold all the gadgets, photo equipment, computers, chargers, tablets, ipads and laptops that seem to creep into the carry-on. I might even buy one, because I think one of our travel pro's has a bad zipper :)

Based on our experience, luggage and indestructable can not be used in the same sentence.

We just disembarked last Friday in Tampa after a Cuba cruise. There was an oldish guy with a large four wheeled bag heading toward the parking lot. At the crosswalk he was pushing bag with two fingers. It somehow got away from him and went careening into the bumper of a parked cab. At least with a 2 wheeled bag I have to wrap my fingers around the handle to pull it.

I just bought my first hard luggage. I chose Calpack because it seams sturdy, has an inside zip cover on one side and has built in locks so I don’t have to use those little luggage locks with a chance of losing the keys. Can’t wait to see how it holds up! Cruising January 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you everyone for your input, it is much appreciated for sure!

I will be following up on each recommendation provided here.

There are many things to follow up on and evaluate, to be sure.

bon voyage

Also check out the soft sided 4 wheel spinner Samsonite at Costco. Great bag, easy to wheel next to you, handles are sturdy, meets airline requirements, and well designed. It comes with the TSA approved locks as well (not part of the bag, but included in the price) that you can attach.

I have a Delsey that my DH bought on clearance. It is the most versatile carry-on we have ever owned. Sadly, I was looking for it for a friend, and I can't find it on either Delsey website or Amazon, :(.

This bag is soft-sided, but it unzips roughly in the middle of the bag, like a hard sided bag. As opposed to a typical softsided bag that has a definite shallow "lid" and deeper bottom. This works super on short trips and as a carryon because the 2 halves of the suitcase are pretty much equal in size.

I loved my hard-sided checked bag until the built-in locks wouldn't open. None of the YouTube hacks worked so had to sacrifice the zipper. I'm using a short cable-style lock on my new hard side suitcase now, even though it has built-in locks. I want to be able to cut it off if it ever happens again.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Edited by goofysmom99

My wife and I have the soft side (hard side back) carry on from Ebags (Ebags brand). They are bullet proof. I have on two occasions had flight attendents comment on my bag. It seems they are popular among attendents. My favorite part is the small zippered compartment on top that allows me to toss my wallet, keys, etc. in for security while at the same time quickly pulling out my clear bag of liquids. They are tapered at the top to fit the curve of the overhead bins so that you can load them in OH bin top first.

For carryon bags, handbags and purses I can’t find anything better than Kipling bags. I have a very old Kipling carryon that has travelled the world with me and shows no sign of wear. (This goes for all of my Kipling handbags or backbacks...they are remarkable.) I only replaced it a few years ago for one that has the 4 wheel spinner wheels.

Can’t part with the old one yet as it was so reliable and still in great shape. Pricy, yes, but very durable, great zippers and outer pockets, which is very important to me.