Dress cose in MDR

Ken Greco

Yes, normally two formal nights on a seven-night cruise.

To be sure you should double-check on your Travel Summary; in the section Itinerary for this Booking the last line should read "Your itinerary includes # formal nights and # smart casual nights"

Princess still does theme-night parties such as Country/Western, Caribbean, '70s disco or similar. Look in the Patter for the listing of the party, usually in Explorer's Lounge or on deck for the Caribbean party. But Princess long ago stopped suggesting that one wear the corresponding attire for that evening.

Yes, normally two formal nights on a seven-night cruise.

To be sure you should double-check on your Travel Summary; in the section Itinerary for this Booking the last line should read "Your itinerary includes # formal nights and # smart casual nights"

Princess still does theme-night parties such as Country/Western, Caribbean, '70s disco or similar. Look in the Patter for the listing of the party, usually in Explorer's Lounge or on deck for the Caribbean party. But Princess long ago stopped suggesting that one wear the corresponding attire for that evening.

that's dress code, sorry

that's dress code, sorry

thank you does the ship have backstage tours of the main theater and tours of the ship's kitchen? If so are they free? I was in the RCCL full ship tour, close to three hours, it was amazing! $135 per person

Princess will have a cooking demonstration in the Princess Theater followed by a fast-moving walk through of the galley areas. Usually on the last sea day; if you don't wish to attend the cooking show (which is usually quite lively) just stake out the exit to the theater and blend in with the stampede.

Backstage tours can be hit or miss; I did have one on Ruby Princess three years ago. Was led by the bandleader and a couple of the dancers.

The Ultimate Ship's Tour is pricey ($150) but absolutely worth it. If interested put your name on the list at the purser's desk right after you board. It is a long 3 hours-plus on your feet but you get to almost everywhere: backstage, rope casting room in the bow, deep into the galley and larders, engine control room, print shop, photo shop, garbage sorting area, medical center, bridge with champagne and snacks with the Captain.

Princess will have a cooking demonstration in the Princess Theater followed by a fast-moving walk through of the galley areas. Usually on the last sea day; if you don't wish to attend the cooking show (which is usually quite lively) just stake out the exit to the theater and blend in with the stampede.

Backstage tours can be hit or miss; I did have one on Ruby Princess three years ago. Was led by the bandleader and a couple of the dancers.

The Ultimate Ship's Tour is pricey ($150) but absolutely worth it. If interested put your name on the list at the purser's desk right after you board. It is a long 3 hours-plus on your feet but you get to almost everywhere: backstage, rope casting room in the bow, deep into the galley and larders, engine control room, print shop, photo shop, garbage sorting area, medical center, bridge with champagne and snacks with the Captain.

Sounds very similar to the RCCL tour. Our RCCL backstage tour was led by a male flyer and a female dancer. Both of them were amazing performers. My last Celebrity cruise the high points cruisers got to go to the heliport for a sailaway from Santorini Greece. Amazing view but a little windy. LOL

what 'freebies' do they give out, if any, for you to take back to your cabin and then home?:cool:

You did get a really nice badge that said you took the tour; but I have gotten more free "stuff" from RCCL that would fill a drawer full, hats, pens, note pads, tee shirts, key chains, poker chips. I always wanted to buy one of those really nice ceramic ships models in the ships store but $30 would kept me from spending the money. I did find a RCCL ship at a thrift store for a couple of dollars, and it was one of the ships we had gone on

There will be two formal nights and 5 informal nights. Jeans and polo shirt for the informal and pants (dockers will do) and a button up shirt prefered long sleeve for formal nights. You certainly can always dress up more for either nights.

I did the UST a year ago. Be sure to sign up at the PSD as soon as you arrive on board as it can fill up. You have to ask them for it. It was led by a member of the CD staff but each area we were addressed by the head of the area. Always wondered if the ship has a morgue and a brig and the answer is yes. We received in our stateroom later a bathrobe, pictures at each area including one with the captain (ship photographer follows you around), a frame for the pictures and other items I forgot. We had snacks in the galley and a tour end party in skywalkers with finger food and mimosas. The CD guide stayed and answered all our questions plus some reflection into crew life on the ship.

More and more you read on here of the acceptance of male pax into the MDR on formal nights, not wearing jacket and tie. As I have said before, if Princess is not going to enforce their dress policy/code - Get rid of it !!! Farcical at the moment.

Some take the trouble of dressing up in a tux or sut and complying with the dress code, others don't for various reasons and get away with it. :evilsmile:

Stand by for incoming. :eek:

More and more you read on here of the acceptance of male pax into the MDR on formal nights, not wearing jacket and tie. As I have said before, if Princess is not going to enforce their dress policy/code - Get rid of it !!! Farcical at the moment.

Some take the trouble of dressing up in a tux or sut and complying with the dress code, others don't for various reasons and get away with it. :evilsmile:

They do enforce the part that is enforceable.

Agreed. The so called "dress code" for formal night is getting more and more of a joke. Princess really needs to amend it. Last cruise to the Mexican Riviera we had early TD in Botticelli and the number of men in suits or even sport coats was less than half.

Agreed. The so called "dress code" for formal night is getting more and more of a joke. Princess really needs to amend it. Last cruise to the Mexican Riviera we had early TD in Botticelli and the number of men in suits or even sport coats was less than half.

Thank you, glad someone agrees with me. Standards have really slipped on Princess.

When we did our first cruise with Princess in 2002, tuxedos were common in the MDR on formal night, along with suits which is fine. 18 Princess cruises later and we have been on most of the Princess ships, we have seen dress standards drop. It does not take much effort to don a jacket and tie on a formal night. Even a sports coat or Bermuda jacket (blazer.):(

Thank you, glad someone agrees with me. Standards have really slipped on Princess.

When we did our first cruise with Princess in 2002, tuxedos were common in the MDR on formal night, along with suits which is fine. 18 Princess cruises later and we have been on most of the Princess ships, we have seen dress standards drop. It does not take much effort to don a jacket and tie on a formal night. Even a sports coat or Bermuda jacket (blazer.):(

The standards haven't slipped at all. Princess just allows people to choose which style of dress suites their style best. (as have almost all the other cruise lines)

After all, not everyone seems to think that putting on a jacket & tie makes for a more enjoyable vacation.

The standards haven't slipped at all. Princess just allows people to choose which style of dress suites their style best. (as have almost all the other cruise lines)

After all, not everyone seems to think that putting on a jacket & tie makes for a more enjoyable vacation.

Well then, Princess should re write their dress code policy and get rid of formal nights if pax are not going to dress sort of formal.:halo:

So when I fly 12000 miles each way, 24 hour flights - Sydney to Heathrow next year for 3 Princess cruises, should I bother taking a tux or suit for formals ? Or just wear 'smart jeans and polo shirt as apparently is permitted these days. My suit case would be lighter with the latter.

Why does Princess insert formal night dress requirements in Princess Patter and have a sign outside MDR as such ? Waste of time.

Bring on the Princess Dress Code Police.

Well then, Princess should re write their dress code policy and get rid of formal nights if pax are not going to dress sort of formal.:halo:

So when I fly 12000 miles each way, 24 hour flights - Sydney to Heathrow next year for 3 Princess cruises, should I bother taking a tux or suit for formals ? Or just wear 'smart jeans and polo shirt as apparently is permitted these days. My suit case would be lighter with the latter.

Why does Princess insert formal night dress requirements in Princess Patter and have a sign outside MDR as such ? Waste of time.

Bring on the Princess Dress Code Police.

You are already present in trying to police the masses. Your statement about "My suitcase would be lighter with he latter" supports one of the main points against your overall effort.

I am fully aware, as is my wife, that the mdr police may not let us in on formal night, or any other night, based on what I am wearing. I have no problem with that. I do question why on our last cruise on the only formal night - the hostess asked to see our cruise card. Do you get preferred admittance and seating, or lack thereof, depending on your loyalty level??:cool:

Very well-said. I have never been able to understand why some folks are so obsessed with how others choose to dress.

I am going on the 7 day cruise on Regal Princess in January. I understand there are two formal nights in the MDR; is that correct? Also, do they schedule nights such as tropical dress night? Planning my wardrobe for the trip.

Not specifically scheduled, but tropical island shirts are always popular any time. There most likely will be an evening deck party where lots of passengers will wear these kinds of shirts. Shorts generally not allowed in the DR for dinner, but you can change after dinner if you like.

Donning a jacket and a tie takes more effort than it is worth.

Very well-said. I have never been able to understand why some folks are so obsessed with how others choose to dress.

If you had paid attention to these threads, you would understand that the sight an differently dressed passenger is sufficient to cause gastric upset and heartburn for the remainder of the cruise. The sight of a baseball cop has caused even more distress often requiring medical attention.

If you had paid attention to these threads, you would understand that the sight an differently dressed passenger is sufficient to cause gastric upset and heartburn for the remainder of the cruise. The sight of a baseball cop has caused even more distress often requiring medical attention.

Not only medical attention but some have been known to need an EDA...."Emotional Dining Animal".....:D