Predictions on a Cabin Coming Available....

ceilidh1

If anyone has a crystal ball, please use it!

I am looking to do a last minute getaway on Star Princess to Alaska in August. This would be for 3 people. My ideal would be the northbound on August 4th followed by the southbound on August 11th. The southbound portion seems pretty open in all cabin categories. However, the northbound currently only has availability in a minisuite (which is a little steep price wise for me). Looking at all available cabins, there seems to be lots open for 2 passengers, just not 3.

What do you think the chances are that Princess will upsell/upgrade/assign to better categories for guarantees and open up some insides/oceanviews for 3 people? Is there any point me calling and asking this question? I'm pretty sure they don't have a "waitlist" for sold categories, right? I would be willing to book a room for 2 and have my kid on the floor, but also pretty sure they won't do that either....

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance....

Check online everyday , 1st thing in the morning for a cabin for 3 .

Can't put 3 in any cabin with 2 max.

May wish to contact some of the big cruise agencies to see if they have group space with cabin allotment for 3 on your sailing.

Check online everyday , 1st thing in the morning for a cabin for 3 .

Can't put 3 in any cabin with 2 max.

May wish to contact some of the big cruise agencies to see if they have group space with cabin allotment for 3 on your sailing.

I did a search with a big online agency and it allows me to go all the way through and book an interior room as a "waitlist". The pricing is double what is on Princess site, but I have never seen a cabin wailisted before? Does that mean I am guaranteed a room - it asks for full payment, so it seems that way?

Nope. Waitlist just means waitlisted, and if one does come open, you might be assigned it, after anyone ahead of you on the waitlist. No guarantees, and if they cannot get you on the ship, they refund your money. Waitlist can be done directly with Princess, too.

I did a search with a big online agency and it allows me to go all the way through and book an interior room as a "waitlist". The pricing is double what is on Princess site, but I have never seen a cabin wailisted before? Does that mean I am guaranteed a room - it asks for full payment, so it seems that way?

That is crazy. There is no reason to pay double the Princess rate. And frankly, I don't know what they are trying to tell you. There should be a number where you can call and talk to a real person...but my take is that any agency selling cabins for more than the Princess rate is a rip off (and I've encountered a few.) I talked to one who tried to charge me double the taxes and government fees as well as a "service fee" for the agency. Nope.

I guess they can legally charge whatever they want, but that doesn't make it right...only that they are ripping off people who don't know better.

If you really, really want to go on the cruise...book the mini.

It may cost more $$, but you'll also have a little more room.

Or grab the southbound.

I wish I could! Sadly, it is significantly more expensive than my budget will allow (around $6,500 CAD for one week). I am planning on the southbound as well (b2b)...

Also' date=' have you looked at the Golden? She cruises on the same dates in the reverse direction.[/quote']

I need to start and end in Vancouver as then I don't need to fly anywhere! I wish I was more flexible on dates, too, but literally have those 2 weeks open!

I need to start and end in Vancouver as then I don't need to fly anywhere! I wish I was more flexible on dates, too, but literally have those 2 weeks open!

Given that you are restricted by both dates and departure port, I'd call Princess and see if they can do anything for you. If not, I'd book the mini. The other alternative would be to forget about the trip, which obviously isn't what you want.

As others have said, keep checking every day and don’t rely on them contacting you for a waitlist. Butttt those 3/4 Beth staterooms are very popular in the summer and holidays, and the fire code prevents them from going above a certain number. You could luck out, but I’d say chances definitely aren’t as good with needing a 3 Pax room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Call Princess and ask. They are selling this as the 7 day leaving Aug 4 and a 14 day leaving Aug 4. They may be holding some cabins for the longer cruise so they wouldn't be available to book for two 7 day cruises. EM

If you fly 'standby', does that guarantee you a seat on the plane/flight you want? No. Waitlist is the same as standby. I would NOT do the waitlist with the nearly double in price fare.

What did Princess tell you when you called?

If you fly 'standby', does that guarantee you a seat on the plane/flight you want? No. Waitlist is the same as standby. I would NOT do the waitlist with the nearly double in price fare.

What did Princess tell you when you called?

I asked the question about the waitlist as I have never seen this before as an option - I wondered if it meant that I was waitlisted for that cabin type but would get A cabin for sure (like a guarantee). Princess were not able to waitlist me at all, that's why I was curious about this online agency having the ability to do so.

There is no way to book as a 7 day OR a 14 day unless I fork out for a mini, which is way too rich for my blood. This would have been a nice last minute getaway and was not booked in advance as I did not know when my vacation weeks would be prior to this week....If it doesn't work out, no big deal - just means more money in my pocket for the next trip!

I asked the question about the waitlist as I have never seen this before as an option -

GTY -- No cabin is currently available, but you will definitely have one assigned before the cruise even if they have to put you into a higher type cabin or "bribe" someone with a "move over" offer to free up a cabin for you.

Waitlist -- Not a guarantee of being on the cruise. Only if all GTYs are taken care of and a cabin in the category you are waitlisted for becomes available. They will not move you to a higher type cabin. They will not make a "move over" offer to free up a cabin for you.

Sold out -- No chance at all of getting that type cabin. Both GTY list and waitlist are full.

GTY -- No cabin is currently available, but you will definitely have one assigned before the cruise even if they have to put you into a higher type cabin or "bribe" someone with a "move over" offer to free up a cabin for you.

Waitlist -- Not a guarantee of being on the cruise. Only if all GTYs are taken care of and a cabin in the category you are waitlisted for becomes available. They will not move you to a higher type cabin. They will not make a "move over" offer to free up a cabin for you.

Sold out -- No chance at all of getting that type cabin. Both GTY list and waitlist are full.

Thanks for the clarification - make more sense now. Does Princess offer waitlist or only TA's? The waitlist wanted full payment - I assume that gets refunded in the event a cabin does not come up?

Thanks for the clarification - make more sense now. Does Princess offer waitlist or only TA's? The waitlist wanted full payment - I assume that gets refunded in the event a cabin does not come up?

If not sold out, you can make a waitlist booking directly with Princess.

You are correct. A full refund if you do not get to cruise.

Thought I would update you all on this....

Took your advice and have been stalking the Princess site several times a day. Last checked around 11pm last night - still only minisuites. Got up this morning and checked around 9:30am - up popped an interior! Just one. And it was available on both the north and south bound (but strangely not the 14 day). I immediately booked both and am now set to head up to Alaska and back for 2 weeks on August 4th.

So, if you really want something that is sold out - keep checking! Even after final payment!

Took your advice and have been stalking the Princess site several times a day. Last checked around 11pm last night - still only minisuites. Got up this morning and checked around 9:30am - up popped an interior! Just one. And it was available on both the north and south bound (but strangely not the 14 day). I immediately booked both and am now set to head up to Alaska and back for 2 weeks on August 4th.

So, if you really want something that is sold out - keep checking! Even after final payment!

CONGRATS!! Happy for you! :cool:

Yay!! Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums