On Board Credit

seamwoman

Help please! We have the Canada/NE cruise booked in October and used our OBC credit to book two shore excursions. We also are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on August 4. When we tried to use OBC to book the Crown Grill it would not accept it??? HELP!

Karen

Help please! We have the Canada/NE cruise booked in October and used our OBC credit to book two shore excursions. We also are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on August 4. When we tried to use OBC to book the Crown Grill it would not accept it??? HELP!

Karen

That is correct. You can use OBC to book shore excursions in advance. However, you cannot use OBC to book specialty restaurants in advance. If you want to pay for a specialty restaurant with OBC (or with a free specialty restaurant promotion), you cannot book until you are onboard.

Once on the ship your OBC will apply. :)

Not to any Crown Grill reservation made in advance, which is what the OP wants to do.

The only item OBC can be used for prior to embarkation is shore excursions. All other purchases, the 'OB' in OBC is to be taken literally. Sorry that doesn't help.

When Princess started making pax pay for excursions booked ahead of time they let pax use their OBC - only OBC belonging to a particular pax. I get quite a bit of OBC for specific things (military and stock holder) while my DW gets OBC for FCD. So when I book excursions ahead of the cruise, I have to pay then for her excursions while mine are covered by my OBC. No other pre-boarding expenses are allowed to be covered by OBC and that includes specialty dinner reservations.

When Princess started making pax pay for excursions booked ahead of time they let pax use their OBC - only OBC belonging to a particular pax. I get quite a bit of OBC for specific things (military and stock holder) while my DW gets OBC for FCD. So when I book excursions ahead of the cruise, I have to pay then for her excursions while mine are covered by my OBC. No other pre-boarding expenses are allowed to be covered by OBC and that includes specialty dinner reservations.

Satxdiver, we were in the same situation and found that Princess would place our jointly owned share credit on my wife's portfolio. It helped balance the credits and allowed for excursions to be equally purchased with OBC. I do not know if they would do it if I was the sole owner of the shares.

If you have ‘uneven’ credit amounts and wish to use it for shore excursions for both passengers, you can call Princess to have it applied. But it does take a phone call.

I have done this several times with no problems. Usually I book the excursions online but do not pay for them. Then I call Princess. The Princess representative sees the excursions that I have booked and changes the charges for some of DW's excursions to my account.

Karen

You should not have a problem booking a specialty restaurant on board. On boarding day call the Dine Line or visit the restaurant(s). They are next to each other. More seating times are available once on board.

You should not have a problem booking a specialty restaurant on board. On boarding day call the Dine Line or visit the restaurant(s). They are next to each other. More seating times are available once on board.

My suggestion is to stop at the restaurants when you board. Dine line always seems to be busy for hours on the day we board.

My suggestion is to stop at the restaurants when you board. Dine line always seems to be busy for hours on the day we board.

On embarkation day, the DINE line had a recording saying to call back tomorrow. That's no good if you are trying to get a time for your first night dinner!

credit is different than currency because it can only be exchanged one way dollars to credit

Not so. OBC is designated either refundable or non-refundable. If you end a cruise with refundable OBC of $25 or less in your account, they will issue cash at passenger services. If it is more than $25, you'll get a check after you get home. We had over $6000 refundable OBC from a "move down" offer. We indulged in all the excursions we wanted, and I got a check for over $4000 after we got home.

Since you pay for crown grill on board why is this an issue?

Because you can't book it in advance. You can book excursions and pay for them using OBC. For specialty dining, if you want to book it in advance, you have to put it on a credit card at the time of booking. If you want to use OBC to pay for it, you have to wait and book it on board.

As to why Princess won't let you book in advance and then charge you after boarding...who knows? It is just their policy.

On our recent Sapphire cruise we went to the restaurant's to book and they told us we had to call the DINE line and they couldn't do reservations at the restaurant anymore.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

On our recent Sapphire cruise we went to the restaurant's to book and they told us we had to call the DINE line and they couldn't do reservations at the restaurant anymore.

That's odd. On Island in Alaska I went to change my assigned day for my free meal from the Anniversary Sale and was able to do so immediately. Looking at the reservations ledger it was perfectly proportional with precisely X number of pre-reservations and Y number of spaces available for every time slot each day. At least until I upset the apple cart by moving up two days.

That's odd. On Island in Alaska I went to change my assigned day for my free meal from the Anniversary Sale and was able to do so immediately. Looking at the reservations ledger it was perfectly proportional with precisely X number of pre-reservations and Y number of spaces available for every time slot each day. At least until I upset the apple cart by moving up two days.
Maybe because you already had a booking they allowed you to change. But both Sabatinis and Sterling Steak house gave us their phone and said we had to dial the DINE line to make a reservation.

Satxdiver, we were in the same situation and found that Princess would place our jointly owned share credit on my wife's portfolio. It helped balance the credits and allowed for excursions to be equally purchased with OBC. I do not know if they would do it if I was the sole owner of the shares.

Our stock is technically on my DH's brokerage account but when my DD and I cruised without him recently, we had the OBC applied to my shipboard account.....we just put my name on the shareholder form.

I guess each ship is different. We just booked specialty dining on board the Caribbean Princess 3 times by just going to the restaurants.

I guess each ship is different. We just booked specialty dining on board the Caribbean Princess 3 times by just going to the restaurants.
We've always done that before. It was just this last May on Sapphire where we couldn't.