Anyone cruising the Rhine, Basel to Amsterdam right now?

suspaul

Hello. Leaving Sunday for Basel and I’m curious what type of temps you’re finding as you cruise the Rhine? I’ve been watching The Weather Channel faithfully but you know how that goes, can’t always believe what they show. I guess it doesn’t matter, we’re pretty much packed with layers for the cold, umbrellas etc. but would love a first hand report.

Thanks in advance. Enjoy your travels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

See notamermaid's post at the bottom of this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447516&page=15

She says:

It has been stormy and raining in the last few days but today it is snowing, right now! Although it is too warm to settle for long the snow is still a lovely sight.

In the hills the snow and ice have caused a few accidents but the valley looks ok. It is cold but in the mild parts of the valley the temperature is staying above zero degrees. The water level is stagnating more or less.

Thanks FuelScience, I have been watching her post, isn’t she wonderful, helpful and amusing.

I realize I posted this in the wrong place, was hoping for feedback from others on the river also..... I appreciate your time and help. We leave tomorrow, flying into Amsterdam (KLM) and connecting to Basel, right now Schiphol has cancelled many flights due to snow and ice, as a matter of fact our flight to Basel is cancelled for tomorrow, hoping things change for our Monday arrival. I read that the roadways in/near Amsterdam are in chaos due to the weather.

We were hoping for a little snow so be careful what you wish for, right? We even had snow here at home Thursday night which is very rare for the Houston, Tx area.

Again, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello suspaul,

Thank you for your kind words to FuelScience about me. Just had to get back to tell you, hoping to reach you in time :) , that you might have indeed wished for snow a bit too much. ;)

My world outside in the mild Rhine valley is covered in a thin blanket of white and it is still snowing. The hills are getting worse and temperatures have dropped a bit. I read that Scotland will get as low as minus ten degrees but even the warm Kent in the South of England (closer to our climate) is seeing snow and disruptions to traffic.

Hope things improve for your flight and you get to your ship in time.

notamermaid