Am I crazy? Renting a car the morning of the cruise at FLL

ButterflyGirly

We are flying from Baltimore to FLL the morning of our Carnival cruise so I booked the earliest flight possible which lands at 8:40am. I didn't really want to sit around anywhere and wait for our 11:30am check-in time at the cruise terminal so I rented a car for 2.5 hours. I thought we could make a trip to the Total Wine store and pick up 2 bottles of wine and maybe some soda to carry-on the ship. If I forget to pack something we can stop at a store and get it but mainly I just didn't want to be sitting in the airport or standing outside the cruise terminal waiting. I spoke to an Alamo rep (Kim) this morning and she verified that we can catch a shuttle from FLL to the port after we return the car. (I found a lot of conflicting information online about whether or not there is an Alamo shuttle from FLL to Port Everglades.) It only cost $20.80 so I didn't think that was too bad. I'm pretty sure I could get an Uber driver to stop at the wine store for me but then I would still have the issue of being at the port too early.

Does anyone know what stores are nearby other than Total Wine? And do you think I am crazy for renting a car for 2.5 hours?

Kim

I am not big on flying down the day of the cruise so I would be more concerned about that should your flight be cancelled.

In terms of renting a car that is fine if you have things to do.

You could make the reservation but should your flight get in late not use it.

Keith

I am not big on flying down the day of the cruise so I would be more concerned about that should your flight be cancelled.

In terms of renting a car that is fine if you have things to do.

You could make the reservation but should your flight get in late not use it.

Keith

I agree with Keith on this one. I'd be more concerned about flying in the day of. No way I would chance that. The whole thing of you renting a car is assuming that everything goes exactly perfectly without a hitch. Assuming you're talking about flying in March (based on your signature), you need to realize that March is still winter and it still snows in certain parts of the country. It may be warm where you live but bad weather may impact inbound flights to your city delaying your flight leaving or may delay your flight leaving if it snows/ices where you are. Not to mention mechanical issues, power failures that close the airport (hello Atlanta!) or just general weather that can delay you. Then if you use some of the "second rate" airlines, they may even delay your flight for a day or 2. (Yes, it happens)

Even if everything goes off without a hitch and you land at 8:40 on the dot, you still have to disembark the plane, wait on your luggage (we all know how long that can sometimes take). Then if you are renting a car you have to go get your car and go through that process. I would forget the car, catch an Uber and ask your Uber driver to take you to a store, get your stuff and go to the terminal. Stop and grab breakfast or something.

BUT to echo what Keith said again, no, you're not crazy. Would I do it? Not a chance in the world I would fly in the morning of my cruise, ESPECIALLY in March.

I don't think you're going to have as much extra time as you think you are, but I don't think you're crazy. If it were me, I would take an Uber to the Harbor Shops where Total Wine is located, and pick up anything else I needed at the Publix there. Maybe have a late breakfast, then Uber to the port.

Roz

I don't think you're going to have as much extra time as you think you are, but I don't think you're crazy. If it were me, I would take an Uber to the Harbor Shops where Total Wine is located, and pick up anything else I needed at the Publix there. Maybe have a late breakfast, then Uber to the port.

Roz

This!

OP - take a look at a map of Fort Lauderdale. The airport, Port Everglades, and the Harbor Shops (http://www.theharborshops.com/map.aspx) are within sight of each other. Use a taxi or Uber/Lyft to get around. Total Wine opens at 9 am, Publix at 7 am, and TJ Maxx (beach clothing and accessories) opens at 9:30 am (11 on Sundays). There are also a number of cafes and restaurants in the area. Given that your flight lands at 8:40, if you have to collect checked luggage it will be well after 9 am before your get there. Have a leisurely breakfast and send one of your party into whichever stores you need to visit while the other stays with the luggage either if you don't want to drag it into the stores.

Roz

I agree. Joe’s Café in the same mall as Total Wine and Publix offers a good “diner style” breakfast. Someone could sit there with your bags while the other shops for what you need, then book another Uber to get to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Roz

I agree..but I am not technical enough to use Uber. Taxi would also do the same job.

Suppose you'd have luggage with you, so maybe have breakfast at airport before heading over to Harbor Shops.

I agree..but I am not technical enough to use Uber. Taxi would also do the same job.

Suppose you'd have luggage with you, so maybe have breakfast at airport before heading over to Harbor Shops.

I'm not technical either...but my youngest adult child set it up on my phone and it worked for me so well.

You'll get a much better breakfast anywhere other than at the airport...I would avoid that option.

Follow the great options that post's #5 #6 & #7 have offered you....you won't be sorry.

I'm mid-60s. Young man at work helped me install Uber app and we did a quick run through. Used it that evening when I went to a wine :wine-glass: dinner and didn't think I needed to be driving. :p Worked like a charm. If you have "location" turned on, it more or less figures it out for you.

Roz

There's little if anything at the airport outside of security, so that's not a good option.

I would skip the car rental and hassle of all of that and do an Uber and have them stop at a store if needed.

Honestly, if you land at 8:40...it will take another hour minimum to get off plane, grab luggage, stand in line for rental car, etc...then you have the hassle of returning it in 2 hours and wait for a shuttle to take you to the port.

I don't think its crazy, just sounds like extra hassle involving the rental car and dynamics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

You didn't say which terminal your plane arrives but you should know that its not so easy to get to the car rentals. In the United terminal they're up on the 3rd level. You have to go through the first floor of the terminal, get on an elevator, get off, and then go up another level either by escalator or another elevator. All with your luggage. Then possibly wait in line at the rental counter.

The process is reversed when you return the car. Wait for someone to check out your car, go down a level, get on the elevator and then walk to either the taxi line or the UBER waiting area. With all your luggage.

I would avoid all of the above. We also had an early arriving flight. We found seating with tables and chairs in the baggage claim area, had some coffee and left the terminal about 10:20. There's traffic going to the port, but if you want, you can ask your driver to make a stop for wine along the way. Its a much more relaxing way to start a vacation.

I'd also skip renting the car and just take a taxi or Uber or Lyft. The one time we flew direct the morning of a cruise, we took a taxi direct to the port. We were there a couple of hours before they opened the terminal for boarding passengers. We just waited outside on a bench--played a game of Scrabble, read books and magazines, and watched the people leaving and coming.

Roz

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on my plan. I have decided to do exactly what Roz has suggested to do. Also taking AVCRUZ's advice and grabbing breakfast at Joe's Diner.

Happy cruising everyone!

4 days left...sunshine(hopefully) and relaxing

• 2 weeks later...

So DH wanted to stick with my original plan so that is what we did (with my fingers crossed that it all would work out ok).

We landed at 8:30 am, retrieved our luggage and went straight to the Alamo desk. Since we were on Southwest we were already in Terminal 1 so it was just a short walk to the rental car area. The line was pretty long at the Alamo desk but we always use the self-service kiosk anyway so we were quickly on the road on our way to the Harbor Shops.

We arrived at the Harbor Shops at 9:15 am and went straight to Total Wine & More, bought 2 bottles on wine and then drove to the other end of the parking lot and had breakfast at Joe's Cafe. We were seated at a table at 9:28 am and had a good meal there. We were able to utilize the parking garage nearby to change into warm weather clothes (it was 28 degrees when we left Baltimore that morning) and get our bathing suits out of our luggage and into our carry-on bag. We attached our cruise tags to our luggage and then were on our way to return the car to the Alamo facility at the port. We got out of the car and went right onto the Alamo shuttle bus which took us to the terminal where the Conquest was docked. We arrived at the terminal close to 11 am.

All in all I am pleased with how our morning went and I am glad that we rented the car. We were fortunate that all the stars were aligned and my plan went off without any hiccups.

Glad that worked out. If you do it again, pre-order what you need at Total Wine and it will be waiting for you at the front desk. It's a quick and easy way to get in and out of the store!

I placed in order in December for when we disembarked and grabbed it on our way home!