Probably dumb questions from a newbie

Hllb

Congratulations on your 1st cruise, you are going to love it.

I sailed on the Breeze in 2015 and stayed on the 7th deck mid-ship and had no noise issues.

I might be in the minority here, but I've enjoyed the Carnival excursions more than the ones I went out and did on my own, granted they are more expensive.

Approximately how many people would be on a typical excursion through Carnival? That's my only concern. We are planning on doing the Amazing Secret River (Cozumel), Lamanai Ruins & River Boat (Belize), and Jolly Roger Catamaran & Snorkel (Mahogany Bay).

Thanks for all the replies!

I didn't realize the night club was 3 decks high, so if music is on the lowest level, that shouldn't be an issue. Yay!

For the YTD, you can prearrange reservations rather than just show up, can't you? I thought I saw that. We just picked that because 5:30 is really early and 8:30 is really late for our youngest. I was planning on doing a reservation time between 6:30 and 7:00.

Looks to me that your cabins are over the steakhouse with the interior over the comedy club. You are well aft of the nightclub so I think you're fine. You may hear a little but it won't be some thump thump from a turned up base. If anyone is a very light sleeper, some earplugs are always a good thing to pack. But no worries on your cabin selections.

Second, there aren't reservations for YTD. You simply go to the hostess stand when everyone wants to go. You are welcome to sit alone as a family or possibly join others at a larger table if that's your preference. You rarely have to wait more than a couple of minutes. If you really like your waiters you can ask for them on subsequent evenings although the more restrictions you place on your hostess the more likely a wait becomes.

Have fun!

Approximately how many people would be on a typical excursion through Carnival? That's my only concern. We are planning on doing the Amazing Secret River (Cozumel), Lamanai Ruins & River Boat (Belize), and Jolly Roger Catamaran & Snorkel (Mahogany Bay).

It really depends. Some have tons of people, some not so many. There may not always be a private tour that is the same as the Carnival one. Carnival will often sign the vendors to an exclusivity contract, which means that they can't take cruise passengers that didn't book through the ship.

I plan on booking my excursions through Carnival since it's our first time cruising and the promise not to leave without you is attractive. Good idea?

You probably have heard it before when traveling from a different time zone....EVERYTHING and I mean everything runs on ship time. You may get off in San Juan and that is a different time zone so when booking excursions, be sure that you are running on SHIP TIME...that is the only clock that you will travel by and your ship will leave by ship time...not local time. The ship will not wait.

If you have the Carnival credit card, they will automatically credit 10% back for your excursions booked through the website. Plus you get double points on any Carnival expenditures - the booking, excursions, in-cabin beverage packages & onboard account. Then, you just use the points when you get back to go toward those expenses. Other than that, the card is not that great, so we only use it for Carnival expenses.

And HillBillyBob is correct - always stay on ship time. Be careful if you have a watch that automatically updates your time zone - same with using your phone as a timepiece.

If you have the Carnival credit card, they will automatically credit 10% back for your excursions booked through the website. Plus you get double points on any Carnival expenditures - the booking, excursions, in-cabin beverage packages & onboard account. Then, you just use the points when you get back to go toward those expenses. Other than that, the card is not that great, so we only use it for Carnival expenses.

And HillBillyBob is correct - always stay on ship time. Be careful if you have a watch that automatically updates your time zone - same with using your phone as a timepiece.

I think I'll just stick w/ the ship excursions. One of mine, was a small savings. One was more. And the third, I can't find anyway.

What is ship time? The time at the home port? So if we go from Port Canaveral it would be EST?

It varies by excursion. Typically I'd say anywhere between 12 and 30.

I did a catamaran & snorkel in Grand Turk and they took about 25-30 people.

I've never felt overcrowded on any of them.

A benefit with Carnival excursions is you have the peace of mind that the ship knows where you are and have direct contact with your tour guides.

I think I'll just stick w/ the ship excursions. One of mine, was a small savings. One was more. And the third, I can't find anyway.

What is ship time? The time at the home port? So if we go from Port Canaveral it would be EST?

Yes, ship time is the time of your departing port. Don't trust your cell phone for the time.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned so far concerning lunch and dinner:

There are many great options on the Breeze besides the Lido Buffet. Cucina del Capitano (all the way up aft) is a free for lunch and great, as is the BBQ place down on Deck 5. The Blue Iguana does great breakfast burritos and on sea days there is a brunch with a pretty good menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are many great options on the Breeze besides the Lido Buffet. Cucina del Capitano (all the way up aft) is a free for lunch and great, as is the BBQ place down on Deck 5. The Blue Iguana does great breakfast burritos and on sea days there is a brunch with a pretty good menu.

thanks! I've been looking at the food options, but didn't realize the Cucina was free at lunch.

I still haven't had luck finding MDR menus, but I at least read some descriptions about what they have. I definitely am not a buffet person.

I'll add Ji Ji Asian kitchen and Guy's burgers to that list also. Guy's is free and Ji Ji is free at lunch (fee for dinner).