Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

The crew is hanging tough although it is very difficult. A few activities cancelled but no surprise. No trivia eg. not a day for fun and games. Today is galley market lunch and it is superb. I think it has been especially hArd on officers and Jan our cd

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just heard the news and I am beyond stunned!

I hope the passengers are being extra solicitous of the crew as they process this this tragic event.

May his soul Rest In Peace in the Antarctica he so loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The passengers are very sad and are very understanding of what the crew is going through. Captain Larsen was very involved with the passengers on this cruise especially when he broke the record. We all shared his excitement. Everyone feels the loss

If I learn anything else I will keep you all posted but apart from the letter we received I do not expect much information. Out of respect for captain Larsen and his family there is very little being said and that is how it should be

We had dinner with Captain Larsen last week. He was so charming and he told many stories about his life on the ice. It is clear that he loved it here.

For the passengers and crew, this is been a very difficult day. As passengers, it is hard to know what to do. I was very happy when I learned that we would be invited to the memorial service. My husband and I are sailing on all the way through to Monte Carlo. It’s hard to know when we will feel like enjoying this cruise again. For now, it’s just so sad for everyone, but I cannot begin to imagine with the crew is feeling.

The expedition crew has worked hand in glove with Captain Larsen for five years. Jan and he were also very close. Everyone has been incredibly professional today. Truthfully, I don’t know how they are doing it, but the person who said that Captain Larsen believed that life goes on is probably right.

I have asked our travel agent to contact Seabourn to express our thanks for everything this ship is doing. The crew has responded so admirably. I hope that Seabourn realizes that they have a really top-notch team here on the Quest who are going above and beyond during remarkably difficult circumstances.

This has been a shock and sad tragedy for people that have sailed with and met this wonderful man.My wife and I had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Larsen in Antarctica in 2017.We had the pleasure of getting to know this great gentlemen and captain at several wonderful dinners.He was truly a gentle and caring person who loved the sea and especially Antarctica,his stories and knowledge of the region was amazing.

We have lost two great captains in the past months Captain Larsen and Captain Karlo,two men that epitomize the Seabourn Spirit,rest in peace my friends.

We have had a change in itinerary as well. We are overnighting in the falklands.

A staff member with whom I spoke said that when a crew member died on board capt larsen insisted that “life goes on.” They are following that mantra.

Thank you so much for the updates on this sad event. We are boarding the ship on Saturday in BA. Obviously, Seabourn should do everything possible to support Captain Larsen's loved ones, the crew and the current passengers So if there is a delay in arrival/departure from BA it is totally understandable. If you hear that there will be any delays, we would appreciate it, if you posted the information.

In 2006 we had a similar circumstance where our sailing was delayed by a day because of a tragic situation in the Atlantic. Our experience was that Seabourn took very good care of the delayed embarking passengers.

Respectfully I observed Captain Larsen's final departure from Quest today at approximately 11:30 am. Tendor#1 had a tarp attached to its roof with a large heart and words of love for Captain Larsen. A number of personnel joined Captain Larsen on the tender and as it pulled slowly away the ship's horn gave 3 long, mournful blasts. Then the most beautiful song was played in all of the public areas as the tender slowly sailed to shore. Jan had made an announcement about what was going to happen and the outside deck was packed with crew and passengers as we said a sad farewell to a special man. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking experience

Respectfully I observed Captain Larsen's final departure from Quest today at approximately 11:30 am. Tendor#1 had a tarp attached to its roof with a large heart and words of love for Captain Larsen. A number of personnel joined Captain Larsen on the tender and as it pulled slowly away the ship's horn gave 3 long, mournful blasts. Then the most beautiful song was played in all of the public areas as the tender slowly sailed to shore. Jan had made an announcement about what was going to happen and the outside deck was packed with crew and passengers as we said a sad farewell to a special man. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking experience

Thank you for sharing. Hard to read through my tears. What a fitting tribute to a marvelous individual! It was our sincere privilege and honor to have met him and sailed with him only weeks ago.