Celebrity Standard Drink Package

tartana

Hi folks - My daughter and I got a great deal on an inside cabin for Silhouette in the fall; however, it does not qualify for any drink packages. I have used the Classic Pkg and was totally pleased with it; however, I am not one who is fussy about alcohol brands; I like Bud Light; I'm not one for fancy cocktails; and I usually don't mind basic house wines. It sounds like the STD would work for me - There doesn't seem to be much info online as to its inclusions. So I'm wondering if anyone has actually used this package and how you made out with it? I wondered if there was any choice of a sparkling wine on STD and I think I read that the basic espresso based coffees from el bacio are included? Smirnoff Ice drinks would be the only other drink I had on Classic that was nice to have included. Can anyone confirm? Thanks :)

Since no one has replied yet I'll take a stab at it but it's been a year since we last sailed and things may have changed...also my memory might not be completely trusted :o

We had the standard drink package and were fine with it. There might've only been one choice of whatever wine was within the price limit at certain bars at certain times (especially near the end of the cruise) but I was always able to find something I could drink. The beer choices were very limited but if you're not picky (Bud Light!) you should be fine. As far as sparkling wine, at that time a prosecco was supposed to be included under the standard package but at one bar I was told (in a not very nice way) that I wouldn't be able to get that until I upgraded to the premium package. I knew that bartender was wrong so I just waited until someone else could wait on me and got the prosecco but that was the one uncomfortable moment with the drink package.

The good coffee drinks were included too last January. Don't know about Smirnoff Ice, sorry.

We don't drink enough to make the premium package worthwhile or even the basic one if it wasn't included. It sounds like you should be fine with the basic version from what you've written. But maybe total up how much you think you'll drink and what the basic package breaks down to per day - you might be better off just paying as you go.

Careful!

The question is about the STANDARD package, not the CLASSIC.

Besides the Classic and the Premium there actually is a Standard package. However, I do not know anyone who has ever booked it. Most people do not even know there is one. So you will not get much info on it.

We always had the Classic and it always suited us fine!

Marie51...We did a 14 night Caribbean Cruise on the Eclipse April 2016. We had the Classic Package. The first evening I asked one of the serves for a beverage package menu. According to what was given to me at that time (and still have) the Premium was $77.00, the Classic $65.00 and the Standard $53.10 a day P/P. These rates do not include the 18% gratuity that will be added at the time the package of your choice is selected.

Edited by davekathy

Marie51...We did a 14 night Caribbean Cruise on the Eclipse April 2016. We had the Classic Package. The first evening I asked one of the serves for a beverage package menu. According to what was given to me at that time (and still have) the Premium was $77.00, the Classic $65.00 and the Standard $53.10 a day P/P. These rates do not include the 18% gratuity that will be added at the time the package of your choice is selected.

Thank you

I like the odd drink and greatly appreciate it when the Classic package is included as a perk.

That said, if I book a cruise that does not include a package I find it cheaper to just pay as I go. Add to that the greatly increased wine choices if you choose to share a bottle of wine at dinner and that may be the way to go.

Since the drink package can be added any day, perhaps try a day or two without it and see if your daily cost is less than getting a package. Add to that the ability to each bring a bottle of wine onboard and the numbers get even better.

I like the odd drink and greatly appreciate it when the Classic package is included as a perk.

That said, if I book a cruise that does not include a package I find it cheaper to just pay as I go. Add to that the greatly increased wine choices if you choose to share a bottle of wine at dinner and that may be the way to go.

Since the drink package can be added any day, perhaps try a day or two without it and see if your daily cost is less than getting a package. Add to that the ability to each bring a bottle of wine onboard and the numbers get even better.

Exactly. We would never actually buy a drink package as we would don't drink that much, even coffee and water. Our bar tab would be very low as we aren't big drinkers. When I have a package I'll grab a few coffees and water that I wouldn't normally get without the package.

And like you say, if we do start drinking more we could always buy the package for the remaining days.

enjoy

The rates you quoted do include the 18%. The price per person per day Without gratuties are: standard $45, Classis $55, Premium $65.

The rates you quoted do include the 18%. The price per person per day Without gratuties are: standard $45, Classis $55, Premium $65.

Thank you for the correction. That would explain the weird cost of $53.10 for the standard package. We had the classic package as a perk so I didn't have to purchase it.

Is there a change in price for the packages (either positively or negatively) if you wait until you are onboard to purchase/upgrade? Thinking of just booking a non-alcohol bev package in advance and seeing if a package for booze would even be worth it. I think i'll definitely take advantage of the 2 bottle wine per room offer, too. Quick question: does that go in your carry on or checked?

Oh--and is it uncommon for people to maybe select a package and then withdraw from it on port days, only to reinstate the package on the last sea day? I know that sounds a little ridiculous..but I'm thinking of all the time I may spend off ship in Bermuda for 3 days

Oh--and is it uncommon for people to maybe select a package and then withdraw from it on port days, only to reinstate the package on the last sea day? I know that sounds a little ridiculous..but I'm thinking of all the time I may spend off ship in Bermuda for 3 days

I don't think that is allowed. In fact, I'm sure it's not.

I don't think that is allowed. In fact, I'm sure it's not.

No, it is not an option to "withdraw". You can add the package or upgrade later in the cruise, but you must purchase it for all the remaining days.

Hi folks - My daughter and I got a great deal on an inside cabin for Silhouette in the fall; however, it does not qualify for any drink packages. I have used the Classic Pkg and was totally pleased with it; however, I am not one who is fussy about alcohol brands; I like Bud Light; I'm not one for fancy cocktails; and I usually don't mind basic house wines. It sounds like the STD would work for me - There doesn't seem to be much info online as to its inclusions. So I'm wondering if anyone has actually used this package and how you made out with it? I wondered if there was any choice of a sparkling wine on STD and I think I read that the basic espresso based coffees from el bacio are included? Smirnoff Ice drinks would be the only other drink I had on Classic that was nice to have included. Can anyone confirm? Thanks :)

The Standard package description handed out on the Reflection a few weeks ago reads:

"Wines - house collection of most popular grape varietals, such as chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, merlot, pino nooir, and other red blends.

Beers - Heineken, Heineken light, Amstel, Amstel light, Budweiser, Bud light, Dos Equis, Tiger.

Spirits - variety of well branded vodkas, gins, tequilas, rums, and whiskeys."

Cocktails - (about 30 cocktails are listed).

We found the cab-sav that was easiest to get in any venue was the Sundance from Chile, but the sommaliers said the wines change all the time and by the time you go it could be all different.

To see if the package is a good deal for you, the cheapest glasses of wine are about $9-10, beers are about $6, and cocktails about $8-9 (rum and coke was $9.xx incl grat), so you can calculate about how much you would spend per week on booze and see if it's cheaper to buy the package.

-Bob

Edited by Bob7
typo

Are those prices, per person, per day?

Thanks

Linda

Is there a change in price for the packages (either positively or negatively) if you wait until you are onboard to purchase/upgrade? Thinking of just booking a non-alcohol bev package in advance and seeing if a package for booze would even be worth it. I think i'll definitely take advantage of the 2 bottle wine per room offer, too. Quick question: does that go in your carry on or checked?

The wine you bring on board will not cost you, if you drink it in your cabin. If you bring it to the dining room, there will be a $25 corkage fee per bottle. Also, just remember that the standard drink package also includes water, soda, and seltzer. The cost a la cart can add up rather quickly.

The two bottles of wine can go in either bag. But if you put them in your checked bag (main suitcase) you would need to make sure you wrapped them well against breakage. We always carry it in our carry on bags. The people working the x-ray machines know two wine bottles are allowed. Just make sure both are sealed. If you had drunk some of a screw cap bottle it will be confiscated.

I know I've read that another cruiseline allows you to take your full glass of wine from your cabin with you into the main dining room or anywhere else. Does anyone know if this true on Celebrity? My daughter is thinking of not getting an alcohol package as she doesn't drink much but would take a glass of wine from our cabin occasionally if it is permissable.

yes, you can walk around from venue to venue with a glass of wine (or anything else). In some cases, they will ask you to switch glasses...for example the martini bar tries to keep it's glasses which are only used at that bar.....or change glass to plastic if you are going to be near the pool.

In anticipation of the next question...if you bring a bottle of wine on board with you at embarkation, there is no corkage charge unless you bring that bottle to a public bar/restaurant. There would be no corkage charge if you walked into that same bar/restaurant with a glass of that wine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tartana

We just returned from a cruise on the Constellation. This was our 12th cruise with Celebrity. It was the first time we heard about the standard package. When we got on board, they were offering beverage package as usual, but they never offered us the standard package, so we took the classic package as usual. The next day we learned about the standard package and thought it would be good enough for us. We made a switch to the standard package. Here is the detail from Celebrity of what is included in the classic and the standard packages.

CBP vs SP.pdf

However, most of the staff did not know about this package. Some would serve us Prosecco and other would say it is not included. Some would serve Pino Griggio and other not. Some would serve Soda water and other not. There is quite a big misknowledge on board about this package. So we asked the bar manager to explain. He confirmed Prosecco and Pino Griggio are not included in the package. Soda water was ok if served in a glass. Not ok if we wanted the can. Speciality coffees are not included in the standard package. Hope this helps!