Mendenhall Glacier

spender

Will be on the Bliss in August, and we are in Juneau for a short time. Looking to just do Mendenhall Glacier. What is the best way to get there? Not sure we want to take the city bus and walk a mile and half to visitor center. Heard you might be able to buy tickets to go there off the dock, if so what does it include and cost?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As mentioned with a group a cab is usually more cost efficient. don't even consider the Capital transit bus, with your short time. Alternative will be the shuttle buses from the Tram Parking lot. These do include all fees. With a cab- the park fee may be separate, cabs also will have an add on access fee at Mendenhall.

When my sister and I took a taxi from the ferry terminal to Mendenhall last spring, I was getting out the taxi fare and my National Park pass at the same time. The driver heard me say to my sister, "hold the pass while I pay;" the driver reduced the fee saying, "oh, you have the pass; then I don't have to collect the entrance fee from you."

So if you have a National Park pass, take it with you.

http://juneauempire.com/outdoors/2015-06-03/glacier-visitor-center-increase-fees-2016

I found a cab downtown. Asked him his price and we went. He gave us his phone number to pick up when done. Don’t remember price but it was reasonable.

Is there a shuttle from the ship to downtown? Cost or free?

Is there a shuttle from the ship to downtown? Cost or free?

Our ship NCL had a free shuttle (bus) that took us to area by the tram. On another cruise wife and I walked back. It was a good hike but walked of on of my dinners.

When my sister and I took a taxi from the ferry terminal to Mendenhall last spring, I was getting out the taxi fare and my National Park pass at the same time. The driver heard me say to my sister, "hold the pass while I pay;" the driver reduced the fee saying, "oh, you have the pass; then I don't have to collect the entrance fee from you."

So if you have a National Park pass, take it with you.

http://juneauempire.com/outdoors/2015-06-03/glacier-visitor-center-increase-fees-2016

Good to know about the National Park pass and to make sure to mention it to the taxi driver if that is the route you take. My husband has the Senior Pass, worth it's weight in gold for as much as we have used it since he got it two years ago! I believe it gets up to four people in as long as one of you is the pass owner. (We are usually in our own car, so it gets your whole car load into a park, but as for individual walk-in entries I think it limits it to four people)