Underage Married Couple

mrsdarkstar247

I think I already know the answer to this question, but it hasn't been asked in a while from what I can see, so I thought I'd go ahead and ask.

My soon-to-be husband and I will be cruising in the next few months on Carnival, leaving the day after our wedding. We will prove our marriage so we can can board the ship under the age rule, but we'll still be only 20 years old for the entire trip.

Is there any chance at all that we'll be able to drink on this trip when we're on the actual ship? I've sort of been worried that we aren't going to have any fun on our honeymoon, since we haven't gone on vacation without alcohol in years, but I guess I brought this on myself. (WILL we have any fun?) For some reason, I thought being married would make a difference, but it doesn't seem that Carnival has any policy like that.

Also, this is both of our first cruises. Any other tips for us?

Edited by mrsdarkstar247

I think I already know the answer to this question, but it hasn't been asked in a while from what I can see, so I thought I'd go ahead and ask.

My soon-to-be husband and I will be cruising in the next few months on Carnival, leaving the day after our wedding. We will prove our marriage so we can can board the ship under the age rule, but we'll still be only 20 years old for the entire trip.

Is there any chance at all that we'll be able to drink on this trip when we're on the actual ship? I've sort of been worried that we aren't going to have any fun on our honeymoon, since we haven't gone on vacation without alcohol in years, but I guess I brought this on myself. For some reason, I thought being married would make a difference, but it doesn't seem that Carnival has any policy like that.

Generally the drinking age onboard cruise ships is 21. Regardless if you're married or not. Some itineraries allow 18 year olds to drink WITH PARENTAL PERMISSION. These are usually the European itineraries.

Where are you sailing from? What itinerary? North American sailings have a 21 yr age limit. Itineraries in other parts of the world may be lower.

And FYI, your marital status has nothing to do with the legal drinking age. I have no idea why you would think otherwise. But cheer up. Believe it or not it's possible to have fun without booze. And before you ask, yes they will card you at the bars on the ship. Your ship card has all kinds of info in it.

Even in Canada?

Many itineraries include one or two American ports so it wouldn't be just a Canadian cruise, per sé. The cruise line dictates the drinking policy rules, not the itinerary.

~

OP, as mentioned, if your cruise line doesn't allow you to drink because of your age, then it's not relevant whether you are married or not. If you are caught with alcohol (or an adult buys it for you and gives it to you) you could be in serious trouble.

Having said all that, best wishes for a long and happy marriage. We celebrate 35 years this year, and it's been wonderful. :)

I find it interesting how you stated that you're "worried" you won't have fun on your honeymoon because you haven't been on vacation without alcohol in years - and you're only 20?!?! Seems like your only idea of fun involves alcohol and no offense, but that is kinda sad.

I agree with the comments that you can have fun without alcohol - people do it all the time. As to your statement that you thought being married would make a difference, does it make a difference when you're on land?

I'm guessing that you will be spending your nuptial celebration cruising the Caribbean. Most ports of call will have a minimum drinking age of 18 so you'll be able to drink in port. Just remember what Ship's Time is and that you need to be back on board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure.......

Is there any chance at all that we'll be able to drink on this trip when we're on the actual ship? absolutely not. on shore only. I've sort of been worried that we aren't going to have any fun on our honeymoon, since we haven't gone on vacation without alcohol in years, but I guess I brought this on myself. (WILL we have any fun?) who says you need booze to have fun?! For some reason, I thought being married would make a difference, but it doesn't seem that Carnival has any policy like that.

marital status has squat to do with being able to drink on board ANY cruise line. if you are not 21 the day of embarkation, you will not be drinking alcohol on board. most Mexican and Caribbean ports have drinking ages of 18. IIRC you will NOT be drinking on any of the cruise lines' private islands either. your card will be marked as being underaged and you will not be served.

any attempt to get a friend to buy for you will backfire.. they and you will get into trouble and possibly removed forms he cruise altogether. now THAT would ruin a honeymoon

You didn't specify where you live but in the United States you cannot walk into a bar and drink just because you're married. It doesn't work that way. Being married doesn't make you 21 which is the legal drinking age. There may be some ports you go to where you can drink at 18 but without specifying your ports, we have no way of knowing.

I doubt if you will be able to drink on board--possibly on some islands?

We have been married 53 years and almost never drink--we have always had tons of fun; in fact, more than most people; if I don't quite get how drinking equates to having fun.

We've actually never ordered a drink on a cruise--yes it is possible and even 'fun'!

Both are twenty years old + they are getting married young + this is their first cruise + they haven't been on a vacation without drinking for years even though they are still underage + they are very worried about not having fun unless they drink + their very first post is only about booze = They are qualified to be a Carnival customer. :evilsmile:

Both are twenty years old + they are getting married young + this is their first cruise + they haven't been on a vacation without drinking for years even though they are still underage + they are very worried about not having fun unless they drink + their very first post is only about booze = They are qualified to be a Carnival customer. :evilsmile:

wow :rolleyes:

wow :rolleyes:

The truth often hurts! :p

Not surprising your reaction since you are a dedicated Carnival cruiser. :rolleyes:

Me, I wouldn't take a Carnival cruise even if it was free. Too many of my friends who took their first cruise on Carnival refuse to take another cruise, even with other cruise lines. They were that unimpressed. I trust their judgment.

Not surprising your reaction since you are a dedicated Carnival cruiser. :rolleyes:

You're right, I am a dedicated Carnival cruiser. My reaction was for the quote which I included as well as from other threads (i.e. the dress code threads)... I know this forum has some great people on it and some super nice people. But I can say I have honestly never met a group with as many judgmental people as I have on here. It's almost funny.

marital status has squat to do with being able to drink on board ANY cruise line. if you are not 21 the day of embarkation, you will not be drinking alcohol on board. most Mexican and Caribbean ports have drinking ages of 18.
Well, some lines permit those above 18 to purchase alcohol outside of US waters, even on a US departure itinerary (hint: Cunard). But this doesn't apply to Carnival AFAIK.

Me, I wouldn't take a Carnival cruise even if it was free. Too many of my friends who took their first cruise on Carnival refuse to take another cruise, even with other cruise lines. They were that unimpressed. I trust their judgment.

I’ll take your free cruise any day. Please let me know if you’re offered one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there any chance at all that we'll be able to drink on this trip when we're on the actual ship? I've sort of been worried that we aren't going to have any fun on our honeymoon, since we haven't gone on vacation without alcohol in years, but I guess I brought this on myself. (WILL we have any fun?) For some reason, I thought being married would make a difference, but it doesn't seem that Carnival has any policy like that.

Book the cruise in your maiden name, DO NOT USE YOUR NEW NAME. You won't have any ID and won't get on the ship.

Drinking on the ship is going to be problematic if you are cruising out of the US. If you want to consume alcohol do it while ashore.

Book the cruise in your maiden name, DO NOT USE YOUR NEW NAME. You won't have any ID and won't get on the ship.

Drinking on the ship is going to be problematic if you are cruising out of the US. If you want to consume alcohol do it while ashore.

Agree.

When we cruised out of San Juan the day after our wedding, we made sure to book the cruise in her maiden name as that was how her passport and Drivers License identified her.