Excursion to Siena from Livorno

texamaggie91

My wife and I will be on the Epic in October. We usually DIY shore excursions. My question is: Is it possible to make it to Siena on the port day if we are planning on taking the train. We have been to Pisa before and don't have a need to see the Tower, etc. Florence is an option but she would really like to visit Siena again which would also free up a day trip after the cruise.

My wife and I will be on the Epic in October. We usually DIY shore excursions. My question is: Is it possible to make it to Siena on the port day if we are planning on taking the train. We have been to Pisa before and don't have a need to see the Tower, etc. Florence is an option but she would really like to visit Siena again which would also free up a day trip after the cruise.

I would see one of the other smaller hill towns such as Volterra or San Gimignano. You could probably find a private tour that included both.

Check your roll call you might be able to find others that would like to do same thing. Also depends on how long your port day.

The shortest itineraries by train from Livorno to Siena take, on average, 2 hours and 15 minutes and involve at least one change of train.

It's a lot for a port day -- you'd be spending around 4 1/2 hours of time just on the train, not to mention getting from the port to the train (add another 20-30 minutes each end).

Crazy idea, to the other times you need to add in the time from Siena railway station to the medieval centre, to make the most of this town and see it with all the travelling will barely be feasible. Remember Italian trains are not renowned for time punctuality , and you risk not making back to the ship.

Crazy idea, to the other times you need to add in the time from Siena railway station to the medieval centre, to make the most of this town and see it with all the travelling will barely be feasible. Remember Italian trains are not renowned for time punctuality , and you risk not making back to the ship.

Isn’t that supposed to have been Mussolini’s only good quality, that he made the trains run on time? :D I do think they’re pretty good these days.

All the same, that’s a lot of travel for one port day. I think I’d save Siena for a post-cruise day.

Ok, This sound like Siena is definitely a pre or post-cruise destination. I don't want to be too pressed for time and stressing out about making it back to the ship. I will look at some of the other options that have been mentioned. Thank you for the help