In search of a walrus.

drron29

Our next cruise is coming up fast.When we cruised the Arctic we missed out on seeing walrus so when this Reykjavik-Churchill cruise was released a little more than 18 months ago we booked as soon as it was available.We booked the last Silver suite.

The reason-this cruise stops at a place called Walrus Island.Now I am presuming that this is indeed because it is a walrus habitat.If not I will be upset.

Now we hear about the problems on the Silver Shadow.Did that make us think of cancelling this cruise-not for a microsecond.The Explorer is totally different from the other Silverseas vessels and there is absolutely no proof that the shenanigans on the Shadow go on here.When boarding zodiacs for the excursions you can see down one of the crew decks-absolutely no signs of any trolleys.

It is going to take us some time to get to Reykjavik.Tomorrow we leave to fly to Sydney.Wednesday we fly from Sydney to Tokyo.Thursday Tokyo-Chicago-Boston.friday Boston-Reykjavik.

We then Spend 5 nights in Reykjavik before boarding the Explorer.This will be our sixth Silverseas cruise and we still intend to sail next year from Sapporo to Fiji on B2B cruises again on the Explorer.

So now you will have to wait until we get to Reykjavik.

Good luck on your quest for the mighty walrus. Spectacular creatures. We just got off Explorer in the Arctic. Our experience on this ship sealed the deal for our trip to the Antarctic. Before this cruise we were also considering A & Ks Le Boreal charter. Completely agree with your impression of this ship.

Walrus do tend to take your breath away... Especially since you have to stay downwind from them so they don't get disturbed by your scent. Jeepers, I don't know how they could smell us over their own "aroma" but that's the story! We saw them at Lagoya, Svalbard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We boarded in Longyearbyen on the 26th. Eight polar bear sightings on the 28th as we were ice cruising. At least two of the bears were less than 100 yards from the ship.

Crossing to Scoresby Sund and will arrive on Friday. Weather is very good and seas are only moderate

i hope you get to see them, we did in poolepynten in svalbard. we were so close it was breathtaking, even if they resemble giant blubber blobs.

enjoy the explorer!

The day we were there there were none to be seen that's why this cruise came about.Could it have been a Silverseas plot?:D

Well nearly there now.In the Virgin lounge at Boston waiting for our Icelandair flight.Fourth day of flying.Yesterday was the worst.Had to transit Chicago.2 hours + to go through Immigration.Connecting flight 2 hours late.Got to bed at 0100-30 hours after rising in Tokyo the morning before.

Looking forward to Reykjavik.

The Virgin Air lounge in Boston is nice - we were there a few years ago when we flew Iceland Air to Keflavik. They had a nice spread of food and drink, from what I remember - though after having been up as long as you've been, that may not be so appealing... Have a great final leg, and enjoy!

Please advise as to whether we need to take our waterproof High boots. We have them from the arctic cruise last year, but I don't want to have to lug them around if they are not needed.

Rachel - what size feet do you and George have ? we are taking new rubber knee high boots and leaving them on board. I am a size 9 and Ron is a size 12 will they fit you ?

Ann

Bon voyage. Sorry to hear about your delays in Chicago. We really like Icelandair and the Virgin Lounge in Boston is small but one of the better ones. And the shopping on Icelandair is quite good.

Try to get to Icelandic Fish and Chips in Reykjavik. It's excellent and down by the pier.

Gareth, a bartender (or head bartender) from South Africa may still be on board. He is a legend and fantastic. Important to get to know him! And if you can find out what ship he is on next, that would be terrific.

Enjoy, and look forward to hearing about your voyage...and hopefully seeing a walrus photo.

:)

Gareth did the polar plunge when we were on the Explorer in June. Amazingly so did many of the crew. BRRRRRRR.

The Explorer has a ton of extra boots.

I did bring my own and bring them home, but frankly there are so many i could have borrowed, as it is unlikely i will need them anytime soon unless we have a hurricane here.

we loved the explorer. see if you can find the secret elevator...although the stairs are a good work out if you go up and down as many times as we did.

enjoy your trip.

Now we are all waiting for drron's pictures and commentary. Here's hoping he sees his walri.

Rachel - what size feet do you and George have ? we are taking new rubber knee high boots and leaving them on board. I am a size 9 and Ron is a size 12 will they fit you ?

Ann

Oh well, I am a 7 and George is a 13. Please let us know if they are required as we do have our from the arctic cruise. Of course, George has worn his mucking about at the ranch, so I would have to do a super good clean off before putting those things in a suitcase.

Gareth did the polar plunge when we were on the Explorer in June. Amazingly so did many of the crew.

You did mention that...so glad to hear he is taking advantage of those unique opportunities! There was a member of the pool dining staff from Cape Town on the Whisper 2 weeks ago. He said he didnt know Gareth but at least 8 passengers on our voyage alone asked if he knew him. Clearly a popular fellow! And an important person on board to know!

Seeing the Virgin lounge at Boston has been featured I will start there.Certainly it was a nice way to start the fourth day of flying-

walrus%25202013%2520330.JPG.

A good selection of sprits-

walrus%25202013%2520335.JPG.

But being an Aussie it had to be a beer with my clam chowder.Of course we always put a lot of research into just what will be the best beer available.So I picked the one with a mermaid on the label.

walrus%25202013%2520339.JPG.

It was also good to end the day in a comfortable bed in the Hilton Reykjavik-

walrus%25202013%2520368.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520371.JPG

But when we woke the next morning the view wasn't the greatest-

walrus%25202013%2520373.JPG

The executive lounge had a much better view which I may show you later.

We hired a car and drove ourselves around.The first day was the Golden Circle.At first the scenery was a little bleak-

walrus%25202013%2520106.JPG.

It soon improved-

walrus%25202013%2520114.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520115.JPG

The farmers were out making hay even though the sun was barely shining-

walrus%25202013%2520128.JPG

Then we reached Pingvellir the site of the first Icelandic parliament over 1100 years ago as well as the meeting place of 2 tectonic plates as shown so well by Colonel Wes recently-

walrus%25202013%2520132.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520133.JPG

More to come.

walrus%25202013%2520172.JPG.walrus%25202013%2520175.JPG.

walrus%25202013%2520178.JPG.

There were crowds and lots of tour busses,many of them from the Brilliance of the Seas-

walrus%25202013%2520182.JPG

They were also secretly testing the latest Mercedes product there-

walrus%25202013%2520187.JPG

Didn't seem to faze the ducks though-

walrus%25202013%2520190.JPG

Archived