Included fine wines and spirits

Mark_K

The website says this:

Celebrate the freedom of Silversea’s all-inclusive philosophy. Fine wines and spirits are served not only with meals, but also throughout the ship. Even champagne flows freely. And the drinks are always on the house, thus eliminating the pesky question of who’s to pay for the next round or pick up the tab at the end of the night. So, go ahead. Have that after-dinner cognac, and drink in the sublime effortlessness of another perfect day.

But it's pretty non-specific as to what constitutes fine wine. Could someone give a an idea of the types of wines that are included Thanks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On our last cruise (on the Shadow in May) we had a selection of wines that included New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (always popular), a mixture of Italian Reds (all good) and a really superb Corbières wine from Southern France. The offered wine in general of such a good quality that I rarely feel compelled to order from the wine list - but one of our companions on the last cruise loved Burgundy and so ended up drinking a stunning Chambertin on a couple of occasions.

While some corners may have be cut in other areas of the ship I find that wine quality has remained high.

I don't drink a lot of spirits - but the Martinis I have had onboard have definitely been more than acceptable and they do have a rather nice Calvados :).

It all depends on your take on "fine wine"

I would not class any wines that are inclusive on any ship on any line as fine wine but you will find be able to find something that you can drink and enjoy.

For fine wine I look to the wine list where the wines are available to purchase.

My last experience - we were probably just unlucky - we couldn't find much at all that we enjoyed. Most of it was very low-end supermarket level.

I know First Class air travel is expensive but SS describe their product as "First Class" and CC'ers may be interested in this weeks complimentary British Airways F drinks menu ie Champagne, wines and spirits - up at the pointy end ....

LHR-SINWineMenu-page-001_zpsd482e8bf.jpg

LHR-SINWineMenu-page-002_zps1e0a9e62.jpg

LHR-SINWineMenu-page-003_zpsa21f782b.jpg

LHR-SINWineMenu-page-004_zps75e5733c.jpg

My last experience - we were probably just unlucky - we couldn't find much at all that we enjoyed. Most of it was very low-end supermarket level.

I know First Class air travel is expensive but SS describe their product as "First Class" and CC'ers may be interested in this weeks complimentary British Airways F drinks menu ie Champagne, wines and spirits - up at the pointy end ....

[

Whereas I agree with your assessment of the Silversea included wines in general, there are sometimes a few gems hiding in the woodwork( to use an overworked phrase). To tease them out requires sight of the ships included wine list and the tenacity to prise out it out of a Sommelier - no mean feat. For what it's worth, I have found the Seabourn wine list equally difficult to extract. However persistence pays. Having said this, it is my experience that the Silversea list offers more choice and better quality than Seabourn. Albeit many of the wines are at the price point you describe.

Regarding the BA list you kindly attached, it is truly First Class. I have fond memories of enjoying the Grand Siecle on my last flight to the States - quite splendid. It was also available in the First Lounge at T5 Heathrow. Great way to get in the mood for a cruise.

Whereas I agree with your assessment of the Silversea included wines in general, there are sometimes a few gems hiding in the woodwork( to use an overworked phrase). To tease them out requires sight of the ships included wine list and the tenacity to prise out it out of a Sommelier - no mean feat. For what it's worth, I have found the Seabourn wine list equally difficult to extract. However persistence pays. Having said this, it is my experience that the Silversea list offers more choice and better quality than Seabourn. Albeit many of the wines are at the price point you describe.

Regarding the BA list you kindly attached, it is truly First Class. I have fond memories of enjoying the Grand Siecle on my last flight to the States - quite splendid. It was also available in the First Lounge at T5 Heathrow. Great way to get in the mood for a cruise.

The sommelier is or at least yse to be key. They use to be able to source wines as they wnet along and sometimes this meant that they had a secret stash of stuff they have either run down or only bought a small amount of. There was one female French sommelier who homed in on my preferences quickly and she was always delivering unasked for bottles from her secret stash. We enjoyed each other!

As you know, Grand Siecle shop price retails in the UK variably between £100 up to quite a lot .... so I guess in the UK restaurant prices are double or more. It is a substantial champagne to pour freely as a "house champagne".

At the moment my flight next week shows a pair of seats free and we normally grab them and use it as our restaurant. So table made up there for our meal seperate from our beds. We ask them to leave a bottle of Grand Siecle in an ice bucket and to keep it going for us ......:)

I'm not sure how much of a profit we represent as we don't eat much but we do like the champers.

The sommelier is or at least yse to be key. They use to be able to source wines as they wnet along and sometimes this meant that they had a secret stash of stuff they have either run down or only bought a small amount of. There was one female French sommelier who homed in on my preferences quickly and she was always delivering unasked for bottles from her secret stash. We enjoyed each other!

As you know, Grand Siecle shop price retails in the UK variably between £100 up to quite a lot .... so I guess in the UK restaurant prices are double or more. It is a substantial champagne to pour freely as a "house champagne".

At the moment my flight next week shows a pair of seats free and we normally grab them and use it as our restaurant. So table made up there for our meal seperate from our beds. We ask them to leave a bottle of Grand Siecle in an ice bucket and to keep it going for us ......:)

I'm not sure how much of a profit we represent as we don't eat much but we do like the champers.

And the GS can certainly spoil you for the Silversea " house champagne". Apropos which, did I imagine it or did someone post that Silversea were substituting prosecco for champagne? Explicitly or surreptitiously?

Zut alors! May have to drink bellinis :(. No matter, it's a peach of a drink.:)

And the GS can certainly spoil you for the Silversea " house champagne". Apropos which, did I imagine it or did someone post that Silversea were substituting prosecco for champagne? Explicitly or surreptitiously?

Zut alors! May have to drink bellinis :(. No matter, it's a peach of a drink.:)

Yes it was said by more thn one and by the employee in his claim and that he refused.

I wonder what they will substitute for the peaches in your Bellini ....:D

Harry's Bar @ Silversea ......

quote]

We haven't been able to get an included wine list on SS for some years now, however a friendly conversation with the head Smmelier will usually produce at least half a dozen drinkable wines (depending on your taste of course) and may turn up a few bin ends from the purchaseable list.

Agree with the price point comments.

quote]

We haven't been able to get an included wine list on SS for some years now, however a friendly conversation with the head Smmelier will usually produce at least half a dozen drinkable wines (depending on your taste of course) and may turn up a few bin ends from the purchaseable list.

Agree with the price point comments.

Interesting. I have been successful; but it's hard work. Pleasant persistence seems to work ( at least for me).

The wines are ones that you would likely pay $10.00 to $12.00 for a bottle at a store.

Keith

I think you were referring to SS and not BA?

There other wines on the list are an average of £30 a bottle shop price and around £80 to £100 restaurant with the obligatory mark up. Johnny Walker Blue is very expensive and I personally do not get it. To my palate it's hash and seems unrefinded and cheap tasting, but the star is the Glenlivet which last time I looked was around £130 a bottle but a little too oaky for me. I like peaty and very little oak.

SS hit a low spot on our last trip and I thought the wine was simply the cheapest they could find.

There other wines on the list are an average of £30 a bottle shop price and around £80 to £100 restaurant with the obligatory mark up. Johnny Walker Blue is very expensive and I personally do not get it. To my palate it's hash and seems unrefinded and cheap tasting, but the star is the Glenlivet which last time I looked was around £130 a bottle but a little too oaky for me. I like peaty and very little oak.

SS hit a low spot on our last trip and I thought the wine was simply the cheapest they could find.

Yes, he was referring to SS and not BA since the subject of the post was SS, not BA.

Having just gotten off the Whisper last week, our impression is that the wine is not the cheapest the could find as you generalize above. We were familiar with many of the complimentary wines, and they were solidly in the $10 - 20 per bottle retail. And if they were serving something we didn't care for, they went out of their way to find us something we would like or would bring us some of our regular wines.

Yes, he was referring to SS and not BA since the subject of the post was SS, not BA.

Having just gotten off the Whisper last week, our impression is that the wine is not the cheapest the could find as you generalize above.

Oh dear ... here we go again.

I didn't generalise. I talked about my experience on the cruise I took. I am allowed to.

You had asked about my earlier post.

I was just referring to the wines that were poured as part of inclusive at dinner. I found them to be the kind we might pay $10.00 to $12.00 in the United States but they could go up as high as say $15.00.

Keith

You had asked about my earlier post.

I was just referring to the wines that were poured as part of inclusive at dinner. I found them to be the kind we might pay $10.00 to $12.00 in the United States but they could go up as high as say $15.00.

Keith

Thought so ... :)

That translates to around a starting point of around £6.50 UK, but it has always seemed to me that wines are slightly more expensive in he US than UK and that would take them to low priced UK supermarket stuff ie around £5'ish.

It's a shame because there's an exponential improvement in quality for a little more .. particularly tax-free and in quantity.

Last week it was still Heidsieck & Co. Monopole Blue Top. I believe it has been that for quite some time. They also had some very nice proseccos they were pouring in La Terrazza.

Thank you! They used to pour that on Regent -- not bad at all:-)

UKCruiseJeff: You're right..... naughty.....naughty:D

Archived