Floating Around Norway on a Cloud

drron29

So the day for boarding the Cloud for her Norwegian cruise has finally arrived.Once again I will try and give a pictorial narrative.Though Picasa and a new computer may conspire against me.

I have been doing a trip report on our 5 week journey to get to Copenhagen.For any one interested it is here-

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/convoys-and-long-way-home-67976.html

So the day for boarding the Cloud for her Norwegian cruise has finally arrived.Once again I will try and give a pictorial narrative.Though Picasa and a new computer may conspire against me.

Appreciate your posting and look forward to hearing more about your favorites from along the scenic Norway coast. If I can be of any moral support and/or technical help with your picture posting, just give me a "shout-out". Happy to share more, trouble-shoot, etc.

Now planning for our next adventure in doing a ten-day, early Feb. 2016 Silver Cloud cruise along the South Africa coast, plus doing safaris in Botswana, seeing Victoria Falls, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy your Norway adventure! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 179,150 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The weather is warm in Bergen today with sun, scattered clouds, and just a kiss of a breeze.. Considering they get 200 days of rain here, we feel lucky indeed.

Appreciate this wonderful update about how things are going on the Silver Cloud along the scenic Norway coast. From my checking with AccuWeather, the weather today in super charming Bergen is supposed to be mostly sunny and a high of 66F there today. Maybe one passing thundershower around 2 pm there today. Almost as perfect as we enjoyed there with duct tape and others on July 14, 2010, as the Cloud delivered us there to this historic and scenic town.

Look forward to more reports and details from you, duct tape and others to bring back nice memories for us from July 2010 when we sailed on the Silver Cloud up to the North Coast and back to Copenhagen.

On Bergen, they actually get about 300 days of rain each year. Like today, those 300 days are not all continuous rain. Fortunately!! Many days, it is just a shower or two over the course of the whole day. For those thinking of a future trip to Bergen and/or seeking to bring back memories from visiting there, below are two of my visual examples from this great Norway city. Hopefully you don't mind my posting these two here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 24,310 views for these postings.

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this July 2010 sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview. You can see the Silver Cloud docked on the right middle in this picture next to the larger Costa ship with its yellow funnel.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Things being nice and sunny makes a wonderful difference!!:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Lovely to meet stumblefoot and his family. Good to meet up again with rojann and drron. Lots of crew attended. Another nice touch on the Cloud. On the other ships it has been my experience that the Cruise Consultant is "tasked" with attending. A lovely day today. Stopped in Hellesylt this AM to drop off the folks doing the overland trip. Chilly but clear. Arrived Geiranger shortly thereafter for our bus ride to scenic overlooks thru lush, verdant trees and vegetation. Went up to 1500 meters! The snow and ice walls were taller than the bus! Cold and damp without a view due to clouds and fog, but so what. Nice ride. Our lecturer is very good. Even tho' I have been here a few times, I have learned more history and the importance of the continuity amongst the royal families. It even helped determine their flags, all basically the same design, a cross, but with variations in color. Sailing out of the fjord now. Sunrise is at about 3 AM and sunset at about 11:30 PM. glad I have duct tape, clothes pins and a mask! Later.

Lovely to meet stumblefoot and his family. Good to meet up again with rojann and drron. Lots of crew attended. Another nice touch on the Cloud. On the other ships it has been my experience that the Cruise Consultant is "tasked" with attending. A lovely day today. Stopped in Hellesylt this AM to drop off the folks doing the overland trip. Chilly but clear. Arrived Geiranger shortly thereafter for our bus ride to scenic overlooks thru lush, verdant trees and vegetation. Went up to 1500 meters! The snow and ice walls were taller than the bus! Cold and damp without a view due to clouds and fog, but so what. Nice ride. Our lecturer is very good. Even tho' I have been here a few times, I have learned more history and the importance of the continuity amongst the royal families. It even helped determine their flags, all basically the same design, a cross, but with variations in color. Sailing out of the fjord now. Sunrise is at about 3 AM and sunset at about 11:30 PM. glad I have duct tape, clothes pins and a mask! Later.

Appreciate the wonderful update from duct tape and bringing back nice memories from sailing in these amazing areas, including Hellesylt. We did the "up country" trip from that small port. Glad weather is behaving well!! That always makes things better. Look forward to getting more details and reports. Yes, those high fjord mountain walls can make Internet and TV service very "iffy" during those travels there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,048 views for this posting.

Sunrise is at about 3 AM and sunset at about 11:30 PM. glad I have duct tape, clothes pins and a mask! Later.

Glad to hear that you came well prepared. Thanks for the postings, enjoy the rest of your voyage.

PS, wish we were having a beef tartare lunch with you!

DRon, Ducktape, wish we were on board with you! We join the Cloud on July 19 at Tower Bridge. Although staff may change before then, who is the Captain, HD, Head Butler, CD? Look forward to your posts and pictures.

Jacko

Thanks DT.

all sounds great.

Just wondering if binder clips have a potential use.

Since I retired from the practice of law I seem to have quite a collection of them in all sizes...

So looking forward to our cruise in just 14 days!

Ron - so great to see one of your live posts on CC again. I look forward to them, and I'm eagerly anticipating your pictures. I hope that Picasa treats you kindly, though it may take a while to upload any pictures while you're in the Arctic. Best wishes to you and Ann for a fabulous trip.

We did 2 weeks on Safari in Tanzania earlier this month, and I finally broke down and bought a new DSLR just before we left. You may recall that my last DSLR got wet and fried in the Panamanian jungle, and I had not replaced it. The Nikon D7100 is a nice piece of equipment. I brought the owner's manual along and actually read some of it, so had fun playing with the settings and (hopefully) got some good shots.

spinnaker2, binder clips are my favorite office supply. I use them in the pantry to keep all sorts of plastic bags sealed. They should work equally well on drapes in the Northern latitudes. :) Hold on to them; they are very handy! Almost as handy as duct tape...

Enjoy the Cloud!

Windy, chilly, rocky sea day, 65 degrees latitude. Love it. Jacko, your friend, Suzanne, is here. Capt Palmieri; HD, Sujith Mohan; CD, Alan King; maitre'd is Sergio. Do not know their schedules but will try and remember to ask! Enjoy your trip from Tower Bridge, one of my favs.

Finally caught up with my sleep deprivation and starting my internet access.So this wont be a live blog but hopefully I can catch up as the days go by.

But first our meet and mingle-a small but delightful occasion-

DSC02525.JPG

Wednesday 24 June - Day 5 - a sea day, a quiet day, calm seas, a bit windy and cold, the Captain says 13C at noon. I went to the cooking demo in the Venetian Lounge, it was the Vietnamese pastry chef. Chia, assisted by the italian chef - a great entertaining combo ! and the taste test was great too. It was well attended, I did see Mr and Mrs duct tape there too. Ron and I both go to trivia, our team is 2 scots, 1 yank, 3 aussies - we are currently coming second. As to the mix on the ship, over 80 Australians, next were Americans, then UK, and India in the top 5.

I have checked out the boutiques = there are the high end goods as previously discussed on another thread, but also I needed to buy some more warm attire and in the shop I got a puffy vest for $ 70. ( I had tried to buy something in Copenhagen before getting on the Cloud but was unable to find anything suitable !! ) There is a range of jackets, vests, T shirts for both men and women, costume jewellery ( Swarovski etc) a large range of watches which seem to me reasonably priced :eek:

On returning from the big day out yesterday who should be in the line of butlers welcoming us back to the ship but our favourite butler from the Explorer - Rowena ! She is a gem - hugs and kisses all round.

Off to dinner at the Pool Grill tonight.

Ann

PS - almost forgot - there is some amber jewellery in the shop - so I priced the earrings - cheaper on the boat than the amber shop in Copenhagen !

Edited by rojaan19
add PS