QM2 to get to Europe for another TA

lhsail

We are booked on the Regal Princess in early September from Copenhagen through the British Isles then a Transatlantic back to NYC. We are currently planning to fly First/Business class from Austin to Copenhagen. We got talking the other day about possibly taking the QM2 across to Southampton instead. We would most likely book an inside cabin, trying to keep total expenses about the same. Can anyone share their experience of being in an inside cabin for the crossing? What is typical daytime attire for crossings? Anything we should be considering? We are experienced cruisers with 50+ cruises including one Transatlantic. This seemed like a way to make getting to Europe an experience.

We have never been in an inside cabin but we will be doing are 5th crossing on Queen Mary 2 in December. I can't bring myself to book Transatlantic flights anymore.

QM2 is less expensive in a balcony than a TA flight from pretty much anywhere in the US in Business class.

We are booked on the Regal Princess in early September from Copenhagen through the British Isles then a Transatlantic back to NYC. We are currently planning to fly First/Business class from Austin to Copenhagen. We got talking the other day about possibly taking the QM2 across to Southampton instead. We would most likely book an inside cabin, trying to keep total expenses about the same. Can anyone share their experience of being in an inside cabin for the crossing? What is typical daytime attire for crossings? Anything we should be considering? We are experienced cruisers with 50+ cruises including one Transatlantic. This seemed like a way to make getting to Europe an experience.

My wife and I have done 4 round transatlantic crossings, each tine in a inside cabin, no problems what so ever. My T/A said why pay for a balcony when all you see is water? When ever you sail the Atlantic, who knows what weather you will get, the money you save on a inside cabin will go towards your next cruise. What ever cabin you chose, it will be a wonderful experience I envy you.😀😀

We got talking the other day about possibly taking the QM2 across to Southampton instead. We would most likely book an inside cabin, trying to keep total expenses about the same. Can anyone share their experience of being in an inside cabin for the crossing?
I suggust you ask your TA to check out the prices for obstructed balcony cabins (on deck 8). While they probably more expensive than inside cabins, they are considerably cheaper than a regular balcony cabins because some or most of the view is blocked by lifeboats. However, unlike an inside cabin, you can always (weather permitting) open the balcony door and step outside to get some fresh air. My DW feels that inside cabins are too claustrophobic for her and wants sunlight/daylight coming through the windows during the daytime hours. Another plus is they are all located mid-ship which tends to minimize the motion in rough seas.

I suggust you ask your TA to check out the prices for obstructed balcony cabins (on deck 8). While they probably more expensive than inside cabins, they are considerably cheaper than a regular balcony cabins because some or most of the view is blocked by lifeboats. However, unlike an inside cabin, you can always (weather permitting) open the balcony door and step outside to get some fresh air. My DW feels that inside cabins are too claustrophobic for her and wants sunlight/daylight coming through the windows during the daytime hours. Another plus is they are all located mid-ship which tends to minimize the motion in rough seas.

Thank you for the suggestion. We have a barely obstructed balcony on the Regal Princess and I'm just fine with it. I looked at oceanview on the deck plans, but they all seem to be very forward on the ship. I'll add that option to the number crunching.

QM2 has exceedingly generous public spaces both inside the ship and outside. While an obstructed balcony was dirt cheap and worked for me on my next crossing, I've done it many times in an inside and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I've done 8 QM2 crossings in conjunction with transatlantics on other ships with 2 more booked so I highly recommend it.

Roy

We have done 6 TA crossings on QM2, 5 of them where inside.

We‘d chose inside again without hesitation, depending on the upcharge for a balcony.

Over the day, you can basically wear anything that you like, but no swimwear in restaurants.

Thanks to all for your insight. We are placing a deposit today, going with a minimal inside guarantee. We're in it for the adventure, so here we go.

I hope it turns out to be the right decision, please come back and let us know what you thought.

I hope it turns out to be the right decision, please come back and let us know what you thought.

After reading all the posts about unsuccessful guarantee bookings with Cunard, we grabbed a cabin on Deck 13, will accept upgrades. Looks very quiet.

lhsail: You are planing what we've done several times and will continue to do: Avoiding TA flights by taking a ship, definitely the QM2 when it fits the itinerary. This spring we are on the Royal Princess to LeHave and are on HAL returning Rotterdam to Boston.

Never sailed in an inside cabin, but I've checked them out. Small, but well-designed to be adequately comfortable. One friend commented that she had to set her alarm since there was no sun to wake her up and she didn't want to sleep through the day missing all the activities on board!