Sharks, Rays, Barrier Reef Snorkel (Caye Caulker) with Carnival

buffy24

I am wondering if anyone has done this excursion before? Is the shopping on the island near where they drop you off? How long is the snorkel time at the reef and also at Shark Ray alley? Does the boat have restrooms? Thank you in advance!

I did this excursion in September through Carnival. The boat ride is wonderful - about an hour each way and so beautiful. Snorkel with a few sting rays, then some nurse sharks and over the reef area. I've snorkeled several times before but did not enjoy this one at all. May have just been time of year or weather conditions but the current was strong, water visibility not great and just not a lot to see. Nurse sharks were cool but current just too strong to enjoy. They take you to a little bar on a little island for food and/or drink and then back to port. No restrooms on boat. Squeezed a bunch of people on shoulder to shoulder. Don't have to get out and snorkel - can just stay in the boat. Got back just in time to hurry to boat. No shopping time. Not a lot of shops in port anyway but might have been nice to have a few minutes. I just came back from another trip there and did cave tubing and ziplining this time through a private company and had an absolute Blast!!

I did this excursion in September through Carnival. The boat ride is wonderful - about an hour each way and so beautiful. Snorkel with a few sting rays, then some nurse sharks and over the reef area. I've snorkeled several times before but did not enjoy this one at all. May have just been time of year or weather conditions but the current was strong, water visibility not great and just not a lot to see. Nurse sharks were cool but current just too strong to enjoy. They take you to a little bar on a little island for food and/or drink and then back to port. No restrooms on boat. Squeezed a bunch of people on shoulder to shoulder. Don't have to get out and snorkel - can just stay in the boat. Got back just in time to hurry to boat. No shopping time. Not a lot of shops in port anyway but might have been nice to have a few minutes. I just came back from another trip there and did cave tubing and ziplining this time through a private company and had an absolute Blast!!

Hmm...I like the fact you got to sail a good bit. I’m sailing this Sunday 2/25/18 so I don’t know how the waters will be. I guess you can never tell. I don’t like being packed shoulder to shoulder. Right now though, it’s either that or not snorkel at all as all of the other tours don’t have enough signed up to take their boat out. I’ve posted here and my Carnival Facebook group and still can’t find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Txtogo - Did they stop at the island before the reef and then went back? It says there is time on the island, so it is too bad that there was no shopping time there. I understand Caye Caulker has a few nice craft shops. Did you buy lunch there? We were thinking we would skip any lunch and just have some granola bars and look around. My husband and son have celiac, so sometimes it is just easier to not take the chance of eating out at smaller locations. Also, we go in early August, so I suspect we will have some similar weather to yours.

CLS/KAS - I would still be interested in how your experience goes as well. I wonder if it will be the same or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did this excursion but through a private company-Coral Breeze Tours and loved it! Boat to Caye Caulker is small and there are no bathrooms but the ride is not that long. We thought it was fun! Beautiful blue water with amazing reefs. Loved the little island and enjoyed shopping there as well. You’ll pay more going through Carnival but either way is worth it!