Bar shampoo?

Janie1229

I am going on a cruise in October and planning on bringing carry-on luggage only. I've read where other people who do this save space in their 3-1-1 bag by bringing foil packets of insect repellant as well as sunscreen wipes and bar shampoo.

Has anyone tried the bar shampoo and how well does it work? I think I'll get some now and try it out to see how I like it. I do love the idea of not trying to fit everything as a liquid into my 3-1-1 bag.

Since we don't all have the same hair type, I don't think you're going to get a solid answer here. I suggest you pick up a bar of Lush Shampoo and try it at home.

If you're concerned about liquids and flying, you can always mail yourself a package in the care of your night-before hotel (call first to be sure they will accept /hold packages for guests). I've done this -- not for cruises because I'm close enough to drive -- but for other vacations.

I've used a couple of different bar shampoos from Lush and they're okay. What I had a problem with was the bar conditioner - really didn't do a lot for conditioning my hair. I've since returned to the silicone tube squeezable containers; 3 oz is good for a couple of weeks for my short hair.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Since we don't all have the same hair type, I don't think you're going to get a solid answer here. I suggest you pick up a bar of Lush Shampoo and try it at home.

If you're concerned about liquids and flying, you can always mail yourself a package in the care of your night-before hotel (call first to be sure they will accept /hold packages for guests). I've done this -- not for cruises because I'm close enough to drive -- but for other vacations.

We have been known to buy some things (bug repellant / sunscreen especially) at a local drug store near our night-before hotel. Things may have a bit of an up-charge, but, it's worth it not to have all my clothes covered in Hawaiian Tropic!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I just purchased a bar of Lush shampoo and going to try it. Also, we are not planning on flying in the night before the cruise so shipping to a hotel won't work. My other thought is just to stop at the airport shops and pick up sunscreen/insect repellant there.

I don't use a lot of shampoo on a trip and to be honest, unless I'm in the ocean every day (which I won't be either), I don't wash my hair every day! My hair is very thick and shorter with layers and actually looks better when it is not freshly washed lol. So...I may just bring my own shampoo that I like.

Another tip I found which works well - when I'm diving, I usually wear a hoodie. I'll wet my hair and put some of my favorite conditioner that is safe for the ocean (doesn't hurt the coral reef) in my hair. It really helps my hair to maintain it's "natural" blonde color and also not get too damaged from all the salt water. I'll probably bring my hoodie on this trip if I do decide to do a little snorkling...

We have been known to buy some things (bug repellant / sunscreen especially) at a local drug store near our night-before hotel. Things may have a bit of an up-charge, but, it's worth it not to have all my clothes covered in Hawaiian Tropic!
Double-ziploc any liquid in your bag.

For a cruise we only bring conditioner. We use ship shampoo, body soap and bar soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thought I was being clever and did this on our January cruise. Princess' shampoo/ conditioner in tub in shower was awful !!!! My hair is still recovering, even though I had a good quality conditioner to use.

A friend made a suggestion I shall try next time..shampoo can sometimes be bought in small sachets...one sachet would probably do two washes unless you have really long, thick hair.

(24 sachets for £1.00...in Poundland..similar to Dollar Tree or selected chemists' shops)

Have you looked in the Body Shop for things like bar shampoos? They are usually great for things like that. Or there are plenty of travel size bottles in supermarkets and shops like Bodycare and Superdrug or Savers.

Thought I was being clever and did this on our January cruise. Princess' shampoo/ conditioner in tub in shower was awful !!!! My hair is still recovering, even though I had a good quality conditioner to use.

A friend made a suggestion I shall try next time..shampoo can sometimes be bought in small sachets...one sachet would probably do two washes unless you have really long, thick hair.

(24 sachets for £1.00...in Poundland..similar to Dollar Tree or selected chemists' shops)

Because I color my hair, I am very picky about shampoo/conditioner. I'll report back once I try the Lush bar shampoo. If I don't care for it, I'll probably just bring my shampoo conditioner like I always do. I am fortunate that I don't have to wash my hair every day (very thick, short with layers). I usually bring a combined shampoo/conditioner like one of the Wen products.

First time I tried ship shampoo I also had my own with me.

We decant any liquids into smaller containers for travel. No way am I bring an 8oz bottle when an ounce will do.

Our home water is very hard, ship water is extremely soft. I think that has a lot to do with it.

As for insect repellants and sunscreens, look for the rub on sticks. Neutrogena for sunblock and Repel for insects. They are like a solid deodorant stick that you rub on and don’t have to go in a 3-1-1 bag.

We usually stay in a hotel the night before a cruise and I have had good luck having the hotel receive a shipment from Amazon with all our liquid necessities and holding them for us. Mainly sunscreen, because we go through a lot of that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wanted to post feedback on the Lush bar shampoo - I tried it the other day, and really liked it. My hair felt soft afterwards and very clean. i did put a small amount of my favorite conditioner in my hair at the end. i will definitely be bringing this bar shampoo with me on the cruise in October :-)

I wanted to post feedback on the Lush bar shampoo - I tried it the other day, and really liked it. My hair felt soft afterwards and very clean. i did put a small amount of my favorite conditioner in my hair at the end. i will definitely be bringing this bar shampoo with me on the cruise in October :-)

I use Lush bar shampoo for travel. Lush offers several choices - for different hair types as well as fragrance preferences.

Would be very interested to hear how many washes the bar shampoo lasts. I tend to wash my hair daily and go through a lot of shampoo. Do you think you would also try the solid conditioner ?

Thanks,

The Lush shampoo bars suds up very well and the bar lasts a long time. There are different formulas for different hair types. I use the bars at home because I like how they leave my hair and I like that there is no packaging with them - no plastic bottle to get rid of.

Janie I know this is your question but the cruise lines do provide shampoo so if you are concerned about the 3-2-1 why not use the shampoo provided?

Keith

Yes, the ships do provide shampoo, body wash, and body lotion.

I can't use the ship's toiletries because my eczema flairs up when I use fragranced products. I always have to travel with my own items or buy them at a store before embarking. I'm sure others have their reasons for preferring their own products.

Yes' date=' the ships do provide shampoo, body wash, and body lotion.

I can't use the ship's toiletries because my eczema flairs up when I use fragranced products. I always have to travel with my own items or buy them at a store before embarking. I'm sure others have their reasons for preferring their own products.[/quote']

I have color-treated hair and do not like the shampoos provided on ships. I will definitely bring a bar of the Lush shampoo, but I'll also bring a small container of Wen shampoo/conditioner cleanser b/c I like to use it as my conditioner at the end, and leave in my hair. I only use about a quarter-size amount so I can bring that and a bar of Lush shampoo will be more than enough for a week - or two weeks for me, since I only wash my hair 1-2 times a week or if I've been in the ocean.