Seeking advice

AussieGirlKaz

My ex and i are booked on a river cruise. We are both in our early 40s and quite active. We had booked an owners suite with apt/ama. Obviously this was meant to be a romantic cruise when booked 7 months ago, something that we both were looking froward to. We also got a good deal on the cruise with a 2for1 deal. Anyway since the relationship has ended relatively amicably. I am not sure what to do. Basically its him or i go. He has moved on wity someone else and i dont like the thought of her enjoyjng my trip that i did most the research on.

All this leads me to my questions.

1. Has anyone done these as aa single 40 yo

2. Will there be enough to keep me interested?

3. Given the likely age differential will i feel like i am cruising with my parents. I realise that comes out all wrong.

It is not likely that i will be able to take a friend and also am not counting on finding another relationship before then.

I have travelled for many years on my own so am well experienced in this part.

Pls no negative comments. Just suggestions

AussieGirl- Sorry to hear about about your situation.

First thing would be to contact the cruise line to check what their fee is to change a booking from one person to another. If this is really expensive, then you won't feel bad about going solo. Shame you don't have a sibling or friend who can go with you, and if it will burn you to think of him/her with your champagne, then definitely go solo. You won't be alone for long and will have a great time. Lots of nice people will be aboard.

Safe and happy travels. I have a spouse and kids who I travel with and have a great time. Most of the time. I've headed out solo a few times in the recent years and really enjoyed myseld.

Former military, dad, with 3 pretty daughters/spouse, being in cities when from the countryside...my head was/is always on a swivel. Very relaxing to only have to watch out for yourself and wander off as you please, if a museum isn't to your liking or you just want your own ice cream w/o sharing... :D:D

Hi, sorry about the situation too.........

I can say I am older than you but I always sail solo and I found the folks on my River Cruise very friendly. As for enough keeping you interested?.......I don't know what cruise you booked but we were off the boat every day so there were tours every day........

so it was not as if you will be sitting on your own all day long. Normally River Cruises are small and it is very easy to meet other people.

Hope things work out for you and wishing you the best:)

Sorry to hear that.

From what I have read on this board - presuming you are in Australia seeing that you mention APT - most people from Australia/New Zealand go on a long cruise so if you have booked the Amsterdam - Budapest one: https://www.aptouring.com/trips/europe/eumc15 I can say that you will have a great time, solo or not, as people in the past have loved it. But I am sure on another cruise you will meet interesting people as well as the ships are small and you cannot help "bumping into people" who like to talk to those travelling solo. :) You will not be bored, I am sure.

But, if you are at all unsure about the expense and going, and also to check terms and conditions, do contact your the river cruise line/your agent as soon as possible I would say.

The suite you mention I assume is a special cabin so travelling solo you might want to downgrade to a standard cabin. Just giving you a thought there.

Hope things will work out for you.

notamermaid

Hmmm this is a tough one. There is no doubt you will enjoy the cruise if you are interested in the ports. The excursions are excellent. You can chose the active excursions which include hiking and bike riding and be surrounded by others who live the active lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But, if you are at all unsure about the expense and going, and also to check terms and conditions, do contact your the river cruise line/your agent as soon as possible I would say.

The suite you mention I assume is a special cabin so travelling solo you might want to downgrade to a standard cabin. Just giving you a thought there.

Hope things will work out for you.

notamermaid

Definitely, definitely read the terms and conditions carefully because canceling his portion of the reservation will be considered canceling the whole reservation. A link to the Terms & Conditions can be found in the footer of any page on the Viking website and may be slightly different for Australia (I've read here that UK guests are hit with a 25% cancellation penalty). Read and talk with your travel agent before talking to Viking.

As Lois already pointed out, most of your days are going to filled with tours, since travel between towns is done at night. Although most of the other passengers are going to be older than you, you will find that many of them are active people. Entertainment in the evenings is minimal, but there's always the bar/lounge. :D

I hope you decide to go, and report back to us on your experience.

Roz

• 2 weeks later...