Sawgrass Mills Mall from Embassy Suites

Greetings:

We are arriving on April 5th and staying at the Embassy Suites, 17th St. for three nights prior to our cruise on Celebrity Silhouette and considering spending a day at Sawgrass. Just checking to see our best option for transportation as we won't have a rental car. We are leaving our husbands at home and my girlfriend and I will be celebrating our retirement. Thanks for any input you can provide....:)

Cab fare would be around $50 each way including tip. Uber or Lyft would be about half that amount. You could check with the Embassy Suites to see if the hotel has a shuttle that goes there. When we've stayed at the Embassy Suites, it's only been for one night before or after a cruise. You might want to rethink renting a car. It would be a lot cheaper to do so for just the day you want to go.

Do you plan on doing serious shopping or is it just a “go check it out” trip? If you are shopping I’d consider renting a car. Much easier if you buy anything substantial. Also, if you are shopping, are you prepared (as in is there room in your luggage) to take whatever you buy on the ship, and then back home? Sawgrass is a mall shopper’s paradise. I was just there Saturday for an early St. Patty’s Day drink/meal and it seems to keep growing . . .

Greetings:

We are arriving on April 5th and staying at the Embassy Suites, 17th St. for three nights prior to our cruise on Celebrity Silhouette and considering spending a day at Sawgrass. Just checking to see our best option for transportation as we won't have a rental car. We are leaving our husbands at home and my girlfriend and I will be celebrating our retirement. Thanks for any input you can provide....:)

The mall is about 17 miles from your hotel. If you're not familiar with the area, I wouldn't rent a car. I suggest Uber. I'd go early (get there when the mall opens because you could spend all day there...it's that big).

Fort Lauderdale isn't that bad for finding your way around if you have a little sense of direction. We've rented cars twice and driven to the port twice. When we rented a car in December, we stayed at one of the hotels in the Plantation area that was a lot less expensive than the ones around 17th Street. We had an early flight to Fort Lauderdale and drove to the Everglades to take an airboat ride. That was a lot of fun. We stopped at Sawgrass Mills for lunch and a little bit of shopping. It's not somewhere I'd want to spend all day.

Fort Lauderdale isn't that bad for finding your way around if you have a little sense of direction. We've rented cars twice and driven to the port twice. When we rented a car in December, we stayed at one of the hotels in the Plantation area that was a lot less expensive than the ones around 17th Street. We had an early flight to Fort Lauderdale and drove to the Everglades to take an airboat ride. That was a lot of fun. We stopped at Sawgrass Mills for lunch and a little bit of shopping. It's not somewhere I'd want to spend all day.

Exactly. The whole corridor is connected by 595, including the everglades trips, sawgrass, Plantation, airport and port everglades. Pretty simple to get around.

That said, I think the OP should take an Uber. It's inexpensive here.

Thanks so much for all of your responses; we think Uber may be the way to go for us. Have a wonderful day!

I'm going to go against the grain and highly suggest you get a rental.

Firstly, Sawgrass is massive, it is the second or third largest mall in the US. You will do some serious damage to your credit cards. It is impossible not to do this.

Also, you don't want to drag your bags around all day so we always end up running out to the car to drop stuff off.

Also, there is tons of good dining out there but the mall is spread out. We drive around to the restaurants.

It's so easy to get there. Either take 595 or head north on Federal Highway to Broward or Sunrise and turn left. You'll run right into it.

Also, an Uber each way would cost you what a cheap rental would.