4x4 tours in tahiti, moorea or borabora

nancy m

Hello, I've been spending hours and hours reading all these posts and am

getting more and more confused!!! There is so much to see and so little time...

We're going on the TP sept 4 and would like to know which island has the best 4x4...I've read about road blocks in Tahiti and wondered if it's still worth it there. I've heard about Albert too. I'd love your advice!!!:)

Hi Nancy,

I went through (am still going through!) exactly what you are. There are so many similar tours on the various islands! Nearly ALL have 4x4 and motu picnic tours, etc. Tough to decide on which to take! :confused: We are booked on a 1/2 day4 x4 tour in Tahiti w/Safari tours the day our ship departs that island and did read about the road blocks from the landslides. However, from what I have heard, the main part of the tour is still very good. I also think we MIGHT do one on Bora Bora (if time allows as my husband will be diving there and there is so much to see/do). And since we'll be spending 2 days on Moorea pre-cruise, we might do one - or might rent a car instead. If we decided on a 4x4 there, we will just book that one and the Bora Bora one once we reach those islands. Those are supposedly the islands that have the most "adventurous" type of real offroad type of ride judging by what I can find out so far. I know it's hard to do them all. Gets a bit pricey, for sure!

We did Patrice's all day tour in Tahiti with Safari Expeditions. The road has been blocked for quite some time now and I doubt if they will ever get around to unblocking it. You therefore go into the valley and out the same way, which is a pity.

We wished we had done just the half day tour as we saw the waterfalls etc in the morning. The afternoon consisted of lunch and then seeing a couple of marie's (sp) which is their sacred ground. It wasn't worth all the bumping around just to look at them as we saw more of them on Moorea. We left a beautiful day and wished we had spent some time on the beach at our hotel in hindsight:p

Jennie

Nancy M,

I am glad you asked the question. I am having the same quandry. I have been told that I have to do a 4X4 to see the incredible view looking down at Bora Bora, so I am trying to decide where else to do 4X4 or a circle island tour instead. I will have to fit in diving and/or snorkeling around them. Fortunately we have two full days in Tahiti pre-cruise and pretty much a full day waiting for our late night flight home after we disembark. One of those days will be on Moorea. There aren't many options in the Marquesas, so there isn't much of decision to make there and Rangiroa is a diving/snorkeling paradise. Any suggestions on whether to do a 4X4 or circle island on:

Tahiti

Moorea

Raiatea

Bora Bora

We did the circle island tour of Bora Bora and it wasn't bad. We were lucky in a way because that morning was our only wet day and we would have drowned doing the 4x4 though it would have been fun.

I tend at times to have a funny back, and I didn't want to upset it in any way. As it was we bumped along so much on the Tahiti 4x4 that I probably would have been fine.

In Moorea we went with a private tour around the island and then in the afternoon we spent it at the beautiful Sheraton where we had lunch and a swim. It was a very relaxing time.

Whatever you do you will enjoy it. It is a magical place and on looking back I wish now that we had done the back to back cruises of the Marquesas and the Cook Island trip. Our English tablemates had done the two, it would have been wonderful but we couldn't afford the time as we have a 4 week trip coming up shortly.

Jennie

Archived