Queens Grill

chicagomelinda

My husband and I just booked a seven day transatlantic on the QM2. We decided to go out and book the Queen’s Grill, assuming this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We would love to learn what is special about Queens Grill. Any tips for us for maximizing the experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have only sailed QM2 one time but it was in the Queens Grill so there are far more experienced cruisers of Cunard then we are.

We thought the restaurant was wonderful.

We ended up having all our meals there based on the recommendation of more seasons cruisers.

There is an extensive menu but be sure to ask the Maitre d' about suggestions for items prepared table-side.

You will also have access to the lounge which is staffed with a concierge. It is at the lounge where you can get things such as tickets for the Planetarium which I highly recommend. We went a couple of times.

Keith

We travel Princess Grill, but I think the main things are the same as for QG, except QG has a few extras such as butler and in-fridge drinks, and bigger cabins. I agree about eating in the relevant grill restaurant - that's why we go PG: so that we have our own table guaranteed whenever we choose to go down for dinner, breakfast or lunch, and because of the possibility of off-menu items, although my requests don't usually extend beyond fried bread with my breakfast. It's also a much more tranquil environment.

As well as the concierge lounge, there is another grills lounge (on QV and QE there isn't a separate concierge lounge) with complimentary coffee, etc and a separate deck area for grills (not as good on QM2 as the others, in my opinion). Both can be good if the more general areas of the ship are crowded.

I echo the recommendations about the Concierge Lounge, on Deck 9 on the QM2. The concierges do a great job to take care of your concerns. I like the orange juice and coffee in the morning and the pleasant calm space. There is also a Grills Lounge outside the Queens Grill restaurant which generally functions as a cocktail lounge for Grills passengers. But we go there in the morning as it is quiet, bring our laptops as the WIFI is marginally better there, and free coffee drinks are available via waiter service after 11:00. The food and meal experience is way better in the QG restaurant than in the Kings Court buffet (Ewwww! Don't go there!), so plan all of your meals in QG or in your sumptuous stateroom. And you will have a lot of space in your stateroom. You will also have a butler who can help with a lot of things, if he is good. Some are better than others.

My husband and I just booked a seven day transatlantic on the QM2. We decided to go out and book the Queen’s Grill, assuming this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We would love to learn what is special about Queens Grill. Any tips for us for maximizing the experience?

I give you some ideas as what to expect.

1) Your stateroom will be much larger than standard rooms, unless you've booked suites on other lines. You will have a complimentary spirits bar. You'll have a list of spirits to choose from. Our butler provided us with Grey Goose vodka(not normally on the list!) should they do something like that, do please remember to tip them accordingly!

2) You will be greeted by your butler. He/she will attend to your needs such as daily Canapés/making reservation requests/ They may or may not unpack/pack your luggage. We prefer to do this our selves.

3) There is a nice lounge with the Grills. Frequently an accomplished musician will perform a show. There is a nice tea service in the lounge. Though Scones & such will be on trays, you may request your own preference(vegetarian etc.)Though tea is usually just poured by staff, feel free to request your favorite. There should be a tea "menu" to choose from.

4) The QG restaurant is excellent. Hopefully Osman still presides. He was always top notch & loved to have guests venture "off menu". You may need to give a day notice for really unusual or difficult items. You'll find the food comparable to a high end shore side rest.

5) There is a "Terrace" deck reserved for Grills guests. Overall I think you'll have a splendid time!

Edited by keithm
additions

When we arrived in our suite on QE recently we were not greeted in our suite by anyone after about 15 minutes the assistant butler/cabin steward knocked on the door and introduced himself and we did not see the butler until after we had had lunch and returned to the suite and he arrived just before muster. With regards to the choice of spirits we had a card left on table when we arrived with a choice and we could choose 1litre bottle per person. There was no choice of individual spirits just one of each (no brandy at all) and they were the cheaper end of costs we chose Smirnoff vodka and Dewars whisky but actually received Famous Grouse whisky.

If you want something different than those listed you can ask. We had Pimms last year.

We werent to know that having been our first time in QG and it was on the table when we arrived and didnt see the butler for some time after and even then we didnt get the alcohol until afternoon of second day.

We werent to know that having been our first time in QG and it was on the table when we arrived and didnt see the butler for some time after and even then we didnt get the alcohol until afternoon of second day.

As regular QG pax, we know that we can order what we want, and usually get it before dinner. Nothing that we order is on the list. I also ask for extra beers which are supplied.

As regular QG pax, we know that we can order what we want, and usually get it before dinner. Nothing that we order is on the list. I also ask for extra beers which are supplied.

The butler took the card with our choice of spirits on before muster and he never asked if we were happy with our selection or wanted anything else or different and even then there was only one choice of scotch whisky (Dewars) so I ticked that and he bought Famous Grouse and dont know why we had to wait until the afternoon of our second day for it to be delivered it wasnt there after lunch and then was in our suite when we returned after afternoon tea. Anything we drank out of the fridge he replaced but that was mainly coke and 7up there were 2 cans of Heineken and when I drank one it was replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Melinda.

You've come to the right place.

We did a trans Atlantic in the Queens Grill less than a year ago, you can read all about it here...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

Two of over 50 photographs...

31764046355_875a16e73a_z.jpg

31351340610_e10a690562_z.jpg

• 5 months later...

Depends if you have chosen to dine as two or on a larger table but if a larger table it can be really pleasant to organise a pre dinner drinks gathering in your suite - the butler will organise everything with you and it can be a very pleasant special time and hopefully reciprocated by some of your other table mates.

We love the Grills Lounge which is across the corridor from Queens Grill. We like to go in the late morning when no one is there to read, use the internet, etc. At 11:00 the servers begin beverage service and we always get some coffee.

We love the Grills Lounge which is across the corridor from Queens Grill. We like to go in the late morning when no one is there to read, use the internet, etc. At 11:00 the servers begin beverage service and we always get some coffee.

I love the QG Lounge too. It's the QG restaurant I have problems with since the remastering. Not the food, just the ambience. First of all they seem have crowded far more table into the space. And second, I hate the color scheme and tackiness of the decor. QG used ti be understated and sophisticated. Now it's just plain garish. jmo.

I love the QG Lounge too. It's the QG restaurant I have problems with since the remastering. Not the food, just the ambience. First of all they seem have crowded far more table into the space. And second, I hate the color scheme and tackiness of the decor. QG used ti be understated and sophisticated. Now it's just plain garish. jmo.

We were, frankly, underwhelmed by the restaurant experience in QG. But we did book QG specifically for the extra room in our suite, which was terrific. Recently we have settled into PG as the right choice for us: Bigger suite than Britannia Class, access to the Grills Lounge, quiet restaurant, and a more affordable price.

I think there is quite a difference between grills in Mary and grills in QV and QE. It would probably be helpful if posters said which ship they were talking about.

On QV and QE I found the princess grill suites little better than the ordinary cabins, just a bit longer, whereas the queens grill suites are quite a good size with a balcony twice as wide. As far as the restaurants are concerned I'm not sure that there is a lot of difference.

I think there is quite a difference between grills in Mary and grills in QV and QE. It would probably be helpful if posters said which ship they were talking about.

On QV and QE I found the princess grill suites little better than the ordinary cabins, just a bit longer, whereas the queens grill suites are quite a good size with a balcony twice as wide. As far as the restaurants are concerned I'm not sure that there is a lot of difference.

Good point. All of my comments pertain to the Queen Mary 2.

My references are exclusively to the QM2 as well since the only reason I would ever sail Cunard is on a crossing as transportation. Cunard ships are FAR too large for me for a regular cruise.