Transfer from Central London hotel to Cunard cruise terminal

bazzaw

Still a fair way away yet May 2018 - but starting to investigate ways to get us (2 adults with luggage ) to Queen Elizabeth in Southampton. London train stations and bus stations are too far away ( except by taxi) and would probably prefer some direct pickup at our Bayswater hotel to Southampton. I have found this company on the web http://www.silver-fleet.co.uk/

Any thoughts or recommendations please??

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

The one time I chose Smiths after seeing them mentioned on CC they no-showed. There was a taxi dropping some people off and he asked if we would want him to take us. Since then every time we go to London/Southampton I just contact him in advance with the dates and times. Radio Taxis (023)80 666 666 24 hour service.

• 3 weeks later...
Used Smiths on 5 Nov. Prompt pick up, clean vehicle, friendly driver who knew where he was going. What more could you ask for?

I lived overseas until recently and for the past five years two or three times a year have always used Smiths who are based in Portsmouth to take me too and fro. Pick up and drop off at London Airports or at hotels has never been a problem. I now live close to their base and will be using them again to take me to Gatwick in early February and again in August. Their drivers are liveried, their classy vehicles don't smell of stale smoke or curry and you can ride without having an ear-bashing from the driver. Brilliant!

Me, too! I have used them four times and have been impressed each time.

You'd all be even more impressed with my suggestion (ex Smiths).

Cunard Captains use them.

Smiths is just an agency and take a whopping percentage of your fare for setting it up.

Stewart

Let me suggest a little more mundane option:

Cunard Coach – My wife and I stayed in London at the Victoria DoubleTree by Hilton and took the Cunard Coach Service to Southampton and it made for a relaxing way to get there. The hotel is two blocks (4-minute walk) from the bus station. Once there Cunard Service took control of our bags all the way to our stateroom. We also felt that if there was heavy traffic or a breakdown, the QM2 crew might grant us a little extra time before departing because we were using a Cunard service. We probably could have saved a little money arranging our own transportation but again, we were looking for a stress free holiday. The cost was $50 per person and we arranged for it at booking. The bus was modern, comfortable and had a spotless bathroom. BTW, there is an amazing fish & chips place called Hardcore Lobster & More one block from the hotel.

Let me suggest a little more mundane option:

Cunard Coach – My wife and I stayed in London at the Victoria DoubleTree by Hilton and took the Cunard Coach Service to Southampton and it made for a relaxing way to get there. The hotel is two blocks (4-minute walk) from the bus station. Once there Cunard Service took control of our bags all the way to our stateroom. We also felt that if there was heavy traffic or a breakdown, the QM2 crew might grant us a little extra time before departing because we were using a Cunard service. We probably could have saved a little money arranging our own transportation but again, we were looking for a stress free holiday. The cost was $50 per person and we arranged for it at booking. The bus was modern, comfortable and had a spotless bathroom. BTW, there is an amazing fish & chips place called Hardcore Lobster & More one block from the hotel.

I’m doing this from Kings cross. It’s only $40– since I’m solo, it’s a pretty good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love staying in Bayswater! Always do, have for years. Almost any hotel will arrange a car for you … be it to the Southampton docks or local to Waterloo or Victoria Coach Station. From Craven Terrace I've used Smiths and South Coast Chauffeurs in the past, finally stopped and have only used the Cunard Connection. A Cunard coach from Victoria Coach Station, just a hop across the park from Bayswater. A dedicated gate (usually One) with a Cunard attendant takes your bags and you next see them in your cabin. The ride is not expensive, is a quick two hours down, you're on ship before 2 pm. It can be fun, all passengers ready to sail, and Cunard knows you're coming. Transport is your call, so check prices for what suits you best for services provided. It's exiting even now thinking of the coach ride out of Victoria, going by Harrods windows, over the Thames, glimpsing the Battersea Power Station, all the open fields along the way, entering Southampton, pulling into the terminal. It's such an easy, convenient ride. For fun before leaving Bayswater, pop into The Mitre on Craven Terrace and The Swan on the Bayswater Road, both near Lancaster Gate.

Re the Cunard coach suggestion: OP indicated they wished to forego the intermediate steps of loading into and unloading out of a taxi to get to Victoria Coach station (or similar). If they were willing to do so far better to carry on to Waterloo Rail Station where the fast train will get to Southampton Central in half the time of the coach.

I too did use the Cunard coach a few years ago when travelling solo. Arrived at Victoria Coach Station well before the suggested hour (10.00 or 10.30 I believe) but when I finally found the correct gate all seats on the first coach had been allocated. We were instructed to hold at the same gate until a second coach arrived. To the consternation of those passengers whose regularly scheduled coaches used that gate. The second Cunard coach did not appear until nearly 90 minutes later. So did not arrive at the QM2 until about 2.45. And no toilet on the bus.

Victoria Coach Station has minimal seating, no air con, and no luggage trolleys in the departures area (though I understand they do for arrivals). For two adults a private car service will not significantly exceed the cost of taxi + two coach fares. But again for me the value of cutting travel time nearly in half beats the cost of the taxi rides to Waterloo and from Southampton Central.

We've used Smith's several times to and from the Southampton Cunard terminal. Also used Smith's to get to Heathrow from London. Extremely happy with the service, car, and driver each time. They are great with all of our luggage.