"Choice Promotion Service Charge" What is it??

pajammies

See below:

Choose From These Offers When You Book

Inside or Studio Stateroom

FREE Soda Package

The first 2 guests receive free fountain sodas at every bar, restaurant & lounge for the duration of their cruise.*

FREE Dining Credit

The first 2 guests each receive $50 dining credit to spend at any of Norwegian’s specialty dining restaurants.

FREE WIFI PACKAGE

Choose this and the stateroom gets 100 free internet minutes to stay connected (aka brag about your vacation).

$50 Shore Excursion Credit

The stateroom receives $50 per port Shore Excursion credit, up to $200 per stateroom.

*Service Charge added at time of booking (Excluding Suites & The Haven). For a 7-day cruise that charge is; Ultimate Dining-$21.42, Ultimate Beverage-$68.04, Soda Package-$8.19

So I'm paying a tip?

I'm seeing the part where it says you get unlimited dining (we have a balcony, so I think that is different from what you have for inside staterooms)

Is that price random, I don't see where it's coming from.

So I'm paying a tip?
Yes, it is the 18% specialty dining tip that was announced a couple months ago.
It's not random, it's 18% of the normal price of the 7-day UDP ($119 per person).

Oh my goodness, OK thank you! I'm so out of the loop. I haven't been on an NCL cruise in several years and it is sooo different!

So are tips required in specialty restaurant now or is that just the amount they add for this package?

It's the same gratuity as if you were buying drinks. It went up from 15% to 18%. It is paid all at once based on the cost of the UDP. You can give them an additional tip if you feel the service warrants it, but you do not have to since it is already paid for.

So am I correct in understanding there are no gratuities except for specialty restaurants, bar drinks, etc? I'm trying to find what they are and I can't seem to find them.

There is also a Service Charge. Some people consider this to be the tips and many will argue it is not. (Please don't start the same old arguments, folks. lol) Regardless, it is something to be aware of.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Edited by ColinIllinois

There is also a Service Charge. Some people consider this to be the tips and many will argue it is not. (Please don't start the same old arguments, folks. lol) Regardless, it is something to be aware of.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Thanks. I would ask why the need to "hide" it, but I'm sure it has already been asked ad nauseam.

I am considering trying NCL and trying to grasp the differences. So far our only cruise experience has been with Carnival, so that is how we view the cruising world.

Thanks. I would ask why the need to "hide" it, but I'm sure it has already been asked ad nauseam.

I am considering trying NCL and trying to grasp the differences. So far our only cruise experience has been with Carnival, so that is how we view the cruising world.

Why do you think it's being "hidden"? It's in the Frequently Asked Questions.

And yes, you are right, tipping and the service charge are beaten in to horse jerky at least once a week. :D

Why do you think it's being "hidden"? It's in the Frequently Asked Questions.

And yes, you are right, tipping and the service charge are beaten in to horse jerky at least once a week. :D

Because searching for tips or gratuities showed the "no tipping" is required page. They may call it a service charge, but a search for either should take you to the same page. To me it is just word games, but their cruise line so their rules.

It would be nice if it were broken down instead of a flat rate, but I guess it really doesn't make a difference either way. You pay the same whether broken down or not.

• 7 months later...

I just noticed this charge on an NCL reservation, googled it and ended up here.

When I look at booking the same sailing through a third party agent however, this charge isn't being charged.

Am I going to be charged on the ship for it or is the third party booking site eating the charge?

Am I going to be charged on the ship for it or is the third party booking site eating the charge?

It is possible, but unlikely. Someone posted here about a TA website that didn't add the service charge until after you clicked on "book now", and then suddenly the total amount increased…

Since NCL pioneered this "free package, but service charge not included" model relatively recently, I think there must be some third-party sites that still haven't caught up with them and their systems don't handle the service charge correctly yet.

But you never know, if this TA allows free cancellation, it might be worth booking with them.

Another thought: Is this a US-based TA? Because European bookings have different terms & conditions, and the gratuities are included in the promotional perks.

Am I interpreting the "service charge" for the UBP correctly ? If the UBP is included as a booking bonus and I decide to have three or four drinks during the cruise, will I be paying more in "service charges" than the price of the three or four drinks ?
Yes. The charge is $12.42 per day (corresponding to 18% of the value of the package they are giving you, which normally costs $69/day).

So if you do not plan to drink more than $12.42 worth of drinks every day (i.e., one or two drinks), then do not choose this perk. If you book a suite and have this unwanted perk forced upon you :eek:, there is no additional service charge.

So I'm paying a tip?

I'm seeing the part where it says you get unlimited dining (we have a balcony, so I think that is different from what you have for inside staterooms)

They've broken out how you prepay your tips:

$12.95 per passenger per day for complimentary restaurants, cabin steward, and "behind the scene personnel

18% on specialty restaurants - paid upfront whether you purchase a dining package or get is as a "perk"

18% on drinks - paid upfront if you buy the Unlimited Beverage Package or get is as a "perk" or paid per drink onboard if you buy individual drinks

On top of these tips, many people tip bartenders and the cabin stewards extra in cash, others don't.

Yes. The charge is $12.42 per day (corresponding to 18% of the value of the package they are giving you, which normally costs $69/day).

So if you do not plan to drink more than $12.42 worth of drinks every day (i.e., one or two drinks), then do not choose this perk. If you book a suite and have this unwanted perk forced upon you :eek:, there is no additional service charge.

That poses a problem !!! I do not use the internet on a cruise, and we get two specialty restaurant meals because of our Platinum status which is enough because I like the MDR food. I haven't done a ships tour in over 25 years, and NCL no longer offers the gratuities as a booking bonus. That means I would have to decline all their offers.

I suppose that makes Princess a better alternative for me since they give me the booze free as an Elite perk with no added fees.

Edited by swedish weave

I suppose that makes Princess a better alternative for me since they give me the booze free as an Elite perk with no added fees.

The free booze in the stateroom is a great perk on Princess, but it's not the same as being able to order whatever drinks you want at all the bars and in all the restaurants. Like I said, anything over one or two drinks a day is really free. Think of it as a two-drink deductible :p

That poses a problem !!! I do not use the internet on a cruise, and we get two specialty restaurant meals because of our Platinum status which is enough because I like the MDR food. I haven't done a ships tour in over 25 years, and NCL no longer offers the gratuities as a booking bonus. That means I would have to decline all their offers.

That's pretty much same as us, just substitute Celebrity for Princess. Trouble is the NCL B2B Canada/ New England itinerary out of Boston is so much better than Celebrity Summit can offer, so we may well have to go with the drink or dining offers, at least in the UK the grats for either offer are included.

Does that mean you'll no longer be gracing our friendly chat board?

"Choice promotion service charge" $42.84, is listed on my bill, not sure what this is, can someone help with this?

Is this a charge for my "free" dining package?

Thanks

You are having the privilege of double tipping for dinners if you leave your auto gratuity intact. Is that something you want to do?