Is NCL out of their mind with Encore pricing vs. ?

tallnthensome

I can't believe the price they are asking for the New Encore 7 day sailing for April 2020. The itinerary sucks and I only paid $700 more for my 15 day Panama Canal on the Bliss for 2019 inside cabin vs Encore balcony cabin. They've lost their mind. Over 5k for this on Encore without gratuities or beverage promos too. Who is actually booking this ripoff? I loved the Escape and paid about half that price. To compare, I booked an extended aft balcony on Carnival's new Panorama for seven days in April 2020. Openings started this week. I got it for $2000+ less than the week on Encore for seven days. That's a huge difference and way better deal, almost absurd. Why the ludicrous price for Encore and who's foolish enough to book this turd of a sailing?

I can't believe the price they are asking for the New Encore 7 day sailing for April 2020. The itinerary sucks and I only paid $700 more for my 15 day Panama Canal on the Bliss for 2019 inside cabin vs Encore balcony cabin. They've lost their mind. Over 5k for this on Encore without gratuities or beverage promos too. Who is actually booking this ripoff? I loved the Escape and paid about half that price. To compare, I booked an extended aft balcony on Carnival's new Panorama for seven days in April 2020. Openings started this week. I got it for $2000+ less than the week on Encore for seven days. That's a huge difference and way better deal, almost absurd. Why the ludicrous price for Encore and who's foolish enough to book this turd of a sailing?
They charge what they charge to recoup expenses as well as the fact that people pay these outrageous prices

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

In 2009, when the U.S. economy was in the tank, NCL and other lines were practically giving away cruises. Now NCL has pricing power because of the public’s seemingly unending appetite for cruises and new ships. They’re charging what the market seems to bear. We’ll have to vote with our wallets to see any change. If the economy tanks again, you’ll see a noticeable change in leisure activity pricing.

I actually was quite pleased with the Encore prices. When I looked at Bliss when it first became available, it was $7,500/person for the cabin we wanted (compared to $4,500 on the Getaway/Escape for the same week). The prices for the Encore are just a few hundred more for the same week on the Escape, which I consider reasonable.

If we cruise in 2020, we'll probably end up on the Epic out of Puerto Rico. We love the Epic Haven and the itinerary is a bonus.

Basic econ, the customer sets the price. They charge what people are willing to pay and they would be foolish to charge 1¢ less.
Oh, I get that much. It's just that the "set price" is ridiculously high when you see my comparisons. I've never seen a basic 7 day for four people on NCL that was over $5K for a standard balcony.

The Bliss is worse and selling well. People are willing to pay, go on ??? If you want a cheep cruise

The Bliss is worse and selling well. People are willing to pay, go on ??? If you want a cheep cruise
I don't know how a 15 day Panama inside on the Bliss (which I'm on) for only a couple hundred bucks more than a 7 day balcony on the Encore is worse. Sounds like the Encore is straight up robbery.

You forgot the biggest downside.......it's Carnival.:p
Yea, it is but I can buy Cheers and eat in every specialty restaurant for a week on the Carnival Panorama for the same price or less. Nothing gained by sailing NCL on this one at all and I'm an NCL fan.

We just booked the Encore for Thanksgiving Week, 2019 and the prices were quite reasonable. We have a balcony, with the UBC and dining package for three of us (me, my wife, and 13 year old son) and the total was well under $5K for the week. In fact, it is a little bit cheaper than our trip on the Getaway this summer. Now, the Haven prices look high, but other than that, it was competitive as far as Thanksgiving pricing is concerned, and it is a brand new ship.

part of the reason is the cruise fare helps pays for the new ship. how do you think Norwegian can afford to build soo many ships that cost billions to build
I don't know what it is. I sailed the Escape when it first came out and booked the Bliss when it came out .... I've never seen anything like this pricing before though. Sailed the Escape with drink package in 2016 with Balcony for $3200 for four. Over $5200 now on Encore for same cabin type ...... No matter the excuses or how you spin it, it's a ripoff. Moving on from this now, just an observation and opinion from my end .....

NCL prices their cruises at what people are willing to pay. If the price is too high, just select something else.

Basic econ, the customer sets the price. They charge what people are willing to pay and they would be foolish to charge 1¢ less.

This is true Keysian economic theory from my uni days :)

But in he UK the demand curve has slipped badly and the pricing is now at long last seeing a fall and it will be rapid. Royal are actively targeting the NCL market. They are not stupid and know that the Brits love to cruise from the UK. I am told that the Celebrity brand will be used to target the higher end passengers from NCL and HAL are also now in big in Europe.

The market will not bear any more rises in my view and this is witnessed by recent stats on cruise v land holidays. NCL have damaged thier UK market and only recently have they changed the European Director.

Small the coffee NCL you are now regardarded as an expensive 4* cruise line.

I think we all miss the point

NCLH is a public company and the duty of the directors is to maximise shareholder wealth - not keep passengers happy with pricing.

Only when profits start to fall because yield is low per passenger will there be any change. Or put another when they can not sell the ships out at the stupid prices - and its coming.