Best Pride of America Excursions

zerooveride

So me and the wife are sailing on the July 1st sailing of Pride of America. We are currently trying to decide which excursions to go on. We are only looking at NCL excursions, just to not deal with anything. I am interested in what excursions people that have sailed in the last year or two that they liked a lot and the ones that they didn't. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Best best advice, really, is to avoid the overpriced excursions and explore each island on your own. Rental car agencies pick up/drop off at the piers. Research each island and decide what interests you. Then use Mapquest or you phone maps to set your route. You get to see/do what YOU want at your own pace without 45+ people on a bus that might waste time at some places you don't want to go.

Luau Kalamaku

If youonly experience one thing in Hawaii, make sure you don't miss this spectacularextravaganza. Graceful Hula dancers, fire poi ball twirlers, traditional fireknife dancing and a vivid storyteller come together for this once-in-a-lifetimeauthentic experience. It's all happening in the historic sugar plantation ofKilohana. You'll even get to gather around an imu pit. Trust us, you've neverseen a pig roasting like this before. And the buffet of local delicacies anddesserts is so lavish - you'd think that was the show. It's a real feast foryour eyes and your belly.

This was an NCL tour so was expensive but well worth it. You may be able to arrange your own but don't miss a Luau. BUT be careful of the Mai Tai!!

Kauai Backroads Adventure

Thisexclusive journey takes you by air-conditioned 4x4 van, along seldom-used roadsto areas of incredible beauty. Due to their inaccessibility, these roads havebeen off limits to all but sugarcane workers for years. Meander past reservoirsand fields en route to Kilohana Crater, as your guide tells you about Kauai'shistory and culture. The 360-degree panorama from the summit of the crater isbreathtaking. Then, continue through Old Koloa Town, the birthplace of Hawaii'ssugar industry to pristine Mahaulepu Beach. Here you'll enjoy a light snack andan optional nature walk. On the return, you'll pass through a mountain tunnelto further enhance your backroads look at Kauai.

Another NCL excursion but again one we thoroughly enjoyed

We're spending two days before and two days after the cruise in Honolulu. We will do a luau and Pearl Harbor during that time.

We have booked one NCL excursion already; The "volcano and rainbow falls" in Hilo. While on ship we just want to stick to NCL tours for convenience.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We enjoyed the crater at sunset on Maui. It was spectacular and romantic. We also really liked the Atlantis submarine in Maui. In Kona we did the Big Island snorkel and really liked that too. I read somewhere that Kona has some of the clearest waters in the world for snorkeling, and this tour even had a couple scuba suits with the jet propeller things. These were all NCL tours but we went over New Years 2014 so some may have changed.

We did this tubing adventure tour in May 2016 and had the best time. Also consider the sunrise tour to Haleakala and the biking tour down the volcano.

Tubing Adventure

Port: Nawiliwili, Kauai

Witness Kauai's lush flora as you float down a tropical waterway made up of a series of ditches and channels, all of which were engineered and dug by hand in the 1870’s to bring water to the sugar cane fields. Enjoy a relaxing two mile ride in and out of many tunnels that open up to beautiful views. At the end of your adventure, munch on snacks beside a pristine swimming hole.

Note: Participants must be at least 5 years of age, weigh no more than 300 lbs. and be at least 43 inches in height. Not recommended for guests who are claustrophobic, pregnant or those with back problems. Wear a swimsuit and bring a towel. less

Rollover for Details:

• Icon_Age_25x25.png
  • Icon_Height_25x25.png
  • Icon_Weight_25x25.png

You might want to look on the internet at Roberts Hawaii for your tours. They have most of the same tours as the NCL POA, and they are a lot cheaper. The more tours you sign up for with them on the Islands, the prices come down even more. We used them when we cruised there a little over a year ago. We were well satisfied with Roberts Hawaii, especially the prices. One of their bus drivers told us they used handle all the NCL Tours, but things changed between them and NCL.

We did this tubing adventure tour in May 2016 and had the best time. Also consider the sunrise tour to Haleakala and the biking tour down the volcano.

Tubing Adventure

Port: Nawiliwili, Kauai

Witness Kauai's lush flora as you float down a tropical waterway made up of a series of ditches and channels, all of which were engineered and dug by hand in the 1870’s to bring water to the sugar cane fields. Enjoy a relaxing two mile ride in and out of many tunnels that open up to beautiful views. At the end of your adventure, munch on snacks beside a pristine swimming hole.

Note: Participants must be at least 5 years of age, weigh no more than 300 lbs. and be at least 43 inches in height. Not recommended for guests who are claustrophobic, pregnant or those with back problems. Wear a swimsuit and bring a towel. less

Rollover for Details:

• Icon_Age_25x25.png
  • Icon_Height_25x25.png
  • Icon_Weight_25x25.png

NCL isn't offering this tour (we are POA on 6/3), but I checked with the tour company directly and they are a cab ride away from the port.

So me and the wife are sailing on the July 1st sailing of Pride of America. We are currently trying to decide which excursions to go on. We are only looking at NCL excursions, just to not deal with anything. I am interested in what excursions people that have sailed in the last year or two that they liked a lot and the ones that they didn't. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

We just got off the Pride on Saturday. We did an excursion in each port. The only one we did with NCL was Best of Kauai. I enjoyed the tour, but it was on a large bus, which isn't preferable imho. On Maui, we used Roberts for Haleakala and Road to Hana. On Hawaii, we used Island wide family tours for Hilo and Kona. Both used smaller tour buses and I highly recommend.

Does the tour in Kauai that includes the canyon and luau sell out? I'd like to wait until we are onboard to book so we can use some of our onboard credit, but don't want to risk it not being available.

• 2 weeks later...
Just of the Pride on Saturday. I would highly recommend Mary Lou's tour on the Big Island. We did both days with them and it was the best of all the tours we did

I will 2nd this, we used in both ports also in Sept 2015. highly recommend.

For my cruise Kona was cancelled, I did Mary Lou's for Hilo and it was incredible...However, I heard folks gushing over the helicopter experience because will there ever be another in your life when you can fly over an active volcano? Mary Lou's was awesome because at least for Hilo, there isn't a ton going on...