Breakaway Baltic going to Nynashamn instead of Stockholm?

EllieinNJ

Looking at the Port of Stockholm's website, it says that most of the baltic cruises on the Breakway will be porting in Nynashamn instead of Stockholm, although the itinerary still says Stockholm.

I know last year's Getaway had to port in Nynashamn too, although a few got to go through the archipelago. NCL ran shuttle buses to Stockholm for $49pp or you can take a train after about a 15 minute walk. Are there any other options like tours you can book at that port?

When we were there, you were up a creek without a paddle if you hadn't made prior tour plans. There is nothing there, and the train is a good hike away. It might be changed now, but last June, the port was nothing but a tiny shed and a big parking lot.

I would definitely book a shore excursion for Sweden. Even if your port is listed as Stockholm (ours was and thankfully didn't change) it could be changed at the last minute to the farther one you mention. It is really far out from the city and as someone else said there is nothing there. If you book a shorex you will have guaranteed transportation and be able to see something that interests you. We did the Vasa Museum there and it was really cool.

Not helpful for this summer, but we made a point of snagging the one Baltic itinerary in 2019 that has a second day in Stockholm so we wouldn't risk missing out on enough time there.

When we were there, you were up a creek without a paddle if you hadn't made prior tour plans. There is nothing there, and the train is a good hike away. It might be changed now, but last June, the port was nothing but a tiny shed and a big parking lot.

Had to laugh because it was just a shed and a parking lot when we were there in 2011. That said, we booked the transport into Stockholm and had a great day just walking around and seeing everything including the museum, changing of the guard, eating lunch etc.

Stockholm is absolutely amazing - and so smart to book an itinerary that includes an overnight! It is beautiful and so worth touring.

We were supposed to dock in Stockholm so we had to scramble to change tour, etc. the biggest issue is that it is far from Stockholm (and we hit huge traffic) and really eats into the limited time you have in port. I was also personally really disappointed not to go through the archipelago.

I'm curious as to how many Getaway cruises actually ported in Stockholm. We paid extra to dock in Stockholm and it felt a bit like a bait and switch to advertise docking in Stockholm when in reality it seems to hardly happen.

Be thankful that you are even getting to Nynäshamn. When we were due to go to Stockholm we never even got to Nynäshamn due to adverse weather!!

That they say Stockholm when they actually berth in Nynäshamn is common with many cruise ports. If want to really get annoyed about that look at Princess as they do it with very many ports; they even say London when they use Southampton or Dover.

Be thankful that you are even getting to Nynäshamn. When we were due to go to Stockholm we never even got to Nynäshamn due to adverse weather!!

That they say Stockholm when they actually berth in Nynäshamn is common with many cruise ports. If want to really get annoyed about that look at Princess as they do it with very many ports; they even say London when they use Southampton or Dover.

NCL specifies some routes are Nynashamn and some Stockholm. The cruises that specify Stockholm cost 10% more than the routes that say Nynashamn.

Went in September 2017. We had a $50 shore excursion credit and decided to use it for a NCL tour in Stockholm. We booked a tour that included a boat ride around Stockholm and a guided tour around town, the VASA museum (a must see) and then some free time.

We walked off the ship in Nynashamn down the pier, got on a bus and had about maybe a one hour ride to Stockholm. It was well organized and easy.There were about 20 people on the tour so it was manageable. NCL has lots of tours to choose from as does SPB and some of the other tour companies.

The tour companies do say that if you are originally supposed to go to Stockholm and you end up going to Nynashamn, they will change and meet you in Nynashamn. We were scheduled for Nynashamn.

I read some reviews of folks that rode the train into Stockholm on their own and it sounded complicated. I recommend a tour which to us, was stress free. Stockholm is amazing. I would like to go back there someday. Enjoy! PS We booked the tour before we left home.

Went in September 2017. We had a $50 shore excursion credit and decided to use it for a NCL tour in Stockholm. We booked a tour that included a boat ride around Stockholm and a guided tour around town, the VASA museum (a must see) and then some free time.

We walked off the ship in Nynashamn down the pier, got on a bus and had about maybe a one hour ride to Stockholm. It was well organized and easy.There were about 20 people on the tour so it was manageable. NCL has lots of tours to choose from as does SPB and some of the other tour companies.

The tour companies do say that if you are originally supposed to go to Stockholm and you end up going to Nynashamn, they will change and meet you in Nynashamn. We were scheduled for Nynashamn.

I read some reviews of folks that rode the train into Stockholm on their own and it sounded complicated. I recommend a tour which to us, was stress free. Stockholm is amazing. I would like to go back there someday. Enjoy! PS We booked the tour before we left home.

When we went on Sun we did the same thing. The rest of the Baltics we used 3rd party tours and they were all great (except Tallin we just walked on our own).

We did the NCL tour with the Bus to Vasa (it made it easier as they had the tickets to get in for you already), a city tour, then time on your own. Very easy.

Does NCL charge any more for the tours if they dock in Nynashamn? I'm booked for St. Petersburg with Alla and they said that if they have to go there instead of Stockholm, the price would be $20pp more than their Grand Stockholm tour.

Does NCL charge any more for the tours if they dock in Nynashamn? I'm booked for St. Petersburg with Alla and they said that if they have to go there instead of Stockholm, the price would be $20pp more than their Grand Stockholm tour.

No idea on NCL prices, but wanted to give you a vote for the tour you have. We used Alla Tours for Stockholm to see the Vasa and the castle, and it was fabulous! No hassles, and I still smile, thinking of our wonderful tour guide. I hope you have a great experience, too. The size limit of Alla Tours made for a much better time for us than the large NCL groups.

Elliein NJ: we are cruising in May and the BA is listed for Nynashamn. :o The sad thing is, we are not going trough the archipelago.

Our May itinerary for “Stockholm” says we are doing the archipelago the night we depart Stockholm for our fun day at sea heading to Copenhagen. Wonder what the truth is as there isn’t even a hint that we are actually docking an hour away from the city anywhere on the NCL site!

According to the Port of Stockholm website, on June 5, 2018 (our cruise) the Breakaway is ported in Seawalk (Nynasham,) Brilliance of the Sea is in Stadsgarden (Stockholm) and MSC is in Frihamnen (?). Check your date to see where you will dock. Maybe you will be lucky. http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

Oh I know that we are docking in Nynashamn - not Stockholm. My point really is that NCL is being deceitful in putting Stockholm on the itinerary when it clearly isn't NOR are they making transfers available - at least not that I can find on their website. I've probably spent 6 or 7 hours looking at other possibilities since the time is so limited- if you use the public transportation, you are losing a minimum of 3 hours on your "8" hour port day. Just seems that NCL could be more upfront and do a better job of helping people get to Stockholm.

I emailed Guest Relations about this because my biggest issue with this is that the excursions they show on My NCL that are available for booking are clearly for if you dock in Stockholm. The excursions for Nynashamn are different. Of course, they were clueless, saying you dock in Stockholm and here's the number if you want to book an excursion. They completely missed the point that the Port of Stockholm website shows us docking in Nynashamn and they are not giving us the correct excursion options.

So frustrating!

I would think so as it is close to an hour ride there. It is scenic though.

If you look at the list of ship excursions, NCL's Nynashamn tours are about $20pp more expensive than their Stockholm tours, so the upcharge is the same.

RE: Ports, even the tour operators have it that Breakaway is docking in Stockholm for May sailings, even though the Ports of Stockholm website does have it dock in Nynashamn. I'm also monitoring roll calls to see if any of these change.

When we did our Northern Europe/Baltics cruise, we docked at Frihamen, which IS in Stockholm proper, you just have to get transportation to the main part of town.

We found Stockholm to be the best port we visited on the entire cruise, including 2 days in St Petersburg. All these years later, we are still fascinated b y the Vasa, and just walking around Gamla Stan was great.

Anyway, being cheated out of 2 hours by docking not in Stockholm is terrible. I am a regular poster on the Baltic boards on this site and I know, over the year, many posters changing their plans and cruise lines to be able to dock in Stockholm and to be able to sail thru the archipelago.

If I can be so bold as to say this, but I would seriously rethink my booking.

Cheers

Len

Anyway, being cheated out of 2 hours by docking not in Stockholm is terrible. I am a regular poster on the Baltic boards on this site and I know, over the year, many posters changing their plans and cruise lines to be able to dock in Stockholm and to be able to sail thru the archipelago.

If I can be so bold as to say this, but I would seriously rethink my booking.

I completely agree with Giantfan that you should carefully consider whether or not to keep or make a booking that doesn't dock directly in Stockholm. You will lose the beautiful sail-in, and if you dock at Stadsgarden, you have the opportunity to get to Vasa right as it opens and is completely empty, which is a very special experience. I'm just not entirely certain you have less time in Stockholm overall if you dock in Nynasham, since the sail in to Stockholm needs to be done very slowly and carefully through the archipelago. You should check the times in port carefully, but people advised me on the Baltic forums before my cruise that you don't lose time overall by docking in Nynashamn, since you have a short port day when you dock directly in Stockholm due to the length of time it takes to sail through the archipelago twice and a much longer day if you dock in Nynashamn. I haven't looked at the times in port recently, but it is something to consider before switching. On the other hand, given the distance from Stockholm to Nynasham, one might not want to cut it too close in terms of returning to the ship if you aren't on a cruise line tour.

We are on the 8/27/18 sailing out of Copenhagen on Breakaway. Our port is listed as Nynashamn (Stockholm, Sweden) - exactly that way. I had no idea the port was 1 hour away, even with all the research I did. NCL does not mention it anywhere on their shore excursion site. We booked an NCL excursion (Stockholm by land and sea) because we also had the $50 per cabin shore excursion credit, and Rick Steve's Northern European cruise port book actually suggested using a cruise ship excursion in Sweden to see the most in the least amount of time, which I thought was unusual. (instead of a private excursion) We are in Sweden from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m., which seems to be a nice amount of time, even with having to travel an hour each way into Stockholm. Our excursion runs from 8-4. We are so looking forward to this Baltic cruise!