I've created a monster

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Family Cruises
Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:06 AM.
Montgomery County, Maryland
3,986 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
My son has only been on 2 cruises & both of those were out of Baltimore. (Not Florida where seeing cruise ships is not so novel.)
The other day we went to Baltimore to see Ft. McHenry & passed by a cruise ship in port - my son sure was disappointed to find out that we were not going on a cruise!
45 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I love when we pull into the parking lot of a hotel and they ask who will carry in the luggage. DD is 6 and has been on 4 cruises - DS is 3 and has been on 3.
Rockville, MD
237 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
My DS is almost 3 (end of April). Around Xmas he announced he wants to go to warm beach SOON, brought out a model of Crown Princess and informed us how he is getting there
After 2 weeks of showing mommy where our next cabin should be, we booked Feb cruise.
What can I say, cruise diva in training...
Fairbanks, Alaska
184 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
My DS is almost 3 (end of April). Around Xmas he announced he wants to go to warm beach SOON, brought out a model of Crown Princess and informed us how he is getting there
After 2 weeks of showing mommy where our next cabin should be, we booked Feb cruise.
What can I say, cruise diva in training...
Too cute!!
My son has been talking his kindergarten's class off about going on the big ship, what they have there, etc etc.
Gotta love it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tamara & Edward

S/S Norway 04/02
Carnival Spirit 01/18/07
Carnival Legend 4/13/2008
Carnival Liberty 05/26/2012
Carnival Magic 05/03/2015
Carnival Dream 05/14/2017
Carnival Splendor 05/26/2018
Boston MA
1,524 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Yup, our DD8 just finished cruise #7 and will be on cruise #8 this summer (Alaska!), and she tells people she wants to be a CD when she grows up.

When we do stay at a hotel, she asks what deck our cabin is on..... lol.
Charleston, SC
1,111 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
My 5 year old has been cruising since she was 6 months old - we even took her to the Med when she was 3. Anyway, she "set-up" this cruise with HER requirements since it was her Spring Break, DOWN TO THE CRUISELINE and where we are going....

Now our 18-month old will be on his second cruise and his eyes light up when you say CRUISE!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Royal Caribbean -
Mariner of the Seas (Fifth Voyage); December 14, 2003 Honeymoon Cruise!!
Sovereign of the Seas; October 8, 2004
Sovereign of the Seas; August 18, 2006
Sovereign of the Seas; January 19, 2007
Legend of the Seas; March 10, 2007 !! Baby_Gamecock's First Cruise !!
Sovereign of the Seas; September 7, 2007
(dis)Enchantment of the Seas; September 29, 2007 (Cruise from Hell!)
Freedom of the Seas; April 27, 2008 !! Lady_G's Birthday Cruise !!
Sovereign of the Seas; September 12, 2008
Monarch of the Seas; July 3, 2009 (This cruise made me !)
Monarch of the Seas; September 3, 2010 Erica's Bachelorette Cruise!!
Monarch of the Seas; September 14, 2012
Allure of the Seas; November 11, 2012
Monarch of the Seas; March 1, 2013
Freedom of the Seas; July 28, 2013
Independence of the Seas; April 12, 2014
Allure of the Seas; November 22, 2015
Freedom of the Seas; November 20, 2016

Norwegian -
Sun; January 8, 2005

Celebrity -
Century; December 15, 2005
Equinox (Seventh Voyage); October 23, 2009 Causey Family Med Cruise!
Reflection; April 9, 2017

Princess -
Emerald; January 7, 2011 Baby_Cocky's First Cruise!!
Crown; April 7, 2012

Upcoming Cruises -

Celebrity -
Reflection; November 17, 2017
Georgia
1,209 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Kids are so cute! My DD(10) is a true crusing diva and has a hat saying so. She loves to be waited on, not something done at home. Last cruise the bartenders knew her by name and what she wanted (Lime smoothies) She also thinks every cruise she gets a new formal dress weather she needs it or not. LOL
Charleston, SC
1,111 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
I asked Baby_G (DD) whether she had talked with anyone at school about going on "Her" Designed Cruise and she said no. I was like, "Wow, really? It's all you ever talk about at home."

Her answer: "It depresses me to discuss such an exciting upcoming event with children who don't understand how much time, effort, and fun it will be."

THIS ANSWER FROM A 5 YEAR OLD! FOFL.

Ahhhhhh......children.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean -

Norwegian -
Sun; January 8, 2005

Celebrity -

Princess -
Crown; April 7, 2012

Upcoming Cruises -

Celebrity -
Connecticut
2,648 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Lady_Gamecock

Her answer: "It depresses me to discuss such an exciting upcoming event with children who don't understand how much time, effort, and fun it will be."
My kinda kid!!! My son is 5 and getting ready to go on his 5th cruise. He loves cruising and is disappointed if we take land vacations!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
June 1995 Crystal Harmony-Alaska * March 1997 Celebrity Century-W.Caribbean * September 2000 Crystal Symphony- Mediterranean * January 2005 Golden Princess-S. Caribbean * September 2007 Cruise West Yorktown- Napa Valley * March 2010 NCL Jewel- W.Caribbean * August 2010 NCL Dawn-Bermuda * February 2011 NCL Spirit- W.Caribbean * August 2011 Carnival Triumph W. Caribbean * April 2012 NCL Jewel-Bahamas * May 2013 NCL- Gem Bahamas * February 2014 NCL Jewel- W. Caribbean * September 2014 NCL Breakaway- Bermuda * February 2015 NCL Sun W. Caribbean * September 2015 NCL Breakaway-Bermuda * April 2016 NCL Epic W. Mediterranean * March 2017 Carnival Fascination- S. Caribbean

Georgia
1,209 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by Lady_Gamecock
I asked Baby_G (DD) whether she had talked with anyone at school about going on "Her" Designed Cruise and she said no. I was like, "Wow, really? It's all you ever talk about at home."

THIS ANSWER FROM A 5 YEAR OLD! FOFL.

Ahhhhhh......children.

That's hilarious! Love it!
GA
5,334 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
DS says "kiss dolphin".... and then goes through the entire family making sure we all remember that we kissed the dolphin too... about twice a day on average. This is from a cruise in October. I guess there is only one thing to do...

I think this means we are all really good parents, right?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Charleston, SC
1,111 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by mikesteg
DS says "kiss dolphin".... and then goes through the entire family making sure we all remember that we kissed the dolphin too... about twice a day on average. This is from a cruise in October. I guess there is only one thing to do...

I think this means we are all really good parents, right?
I love your photo scrolling thing in your signature! ! !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean -

Norwegian -
Sun; January 8, 2005

Celebrity -

Princess -
Crown; April 7, 2012

Upcoming Cruises -

Celebrity -
Ontario, Canada
2,340 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
DS2 (who is now 4 yrs) gives me "dolphin kisses" like the ones we got from the real dolphins My Facebook profile pic is my two boys giving me dolphin kisses, one on each cheek! Some memories are priceless.
Our current issue is we usually have a trip booked, and right now we don't. So the boys keep asking about our next ship, how big the waterslides will be, where the kids pool is, and how close the cabin is to the restaurants!
Sometimes I feel bad because we live in an area that is very diverse socioeconomically, and my children have many luxuries where others are struggling to get by. I really hope my boys understand how good they have it...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Anthem of the Seas 2-1-2017 12 day Eastern and Southern Caribbean

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas
NCL Gem 22-12-2014 12 day Christmas and New Year's
NCL Pride of America 28-3-2015 with a week in Kona
NCL Star 31-1-2016 Western Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 13-3-2016

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.
Savannah, GA
132 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by B&Z's Mom
Sometimes I feel bad because we live in an area that is very diverse socioeconomically, and my children have many luxuries where others are struggling to get by. I really hope my boys understand how good they have it...
I understand completely. I think one of the most tangible benefits of traveling with children is that they get to see how the other 90% lives. Our DD will be turning 8 on our upcoming March cruise to Central America and has asked if she can take some toys she doesn't play with anymore to give to the kids she might meet when we stop at various ports. I've convinced her we can get some small things at the local dollar store to hand out and give her toys from home to local charities, since there are plenty of kids living in poverty right here in Georgia.

We've also been careful to explain to her that a lot of her friends haven't had the opportunities to travel that she has had, and that she should appreciate the fact that at her age she has seen more of the world than her 65-year-old grandmother. Over the years we've met a number of people who think we're crazy for taking her all of the places we have, but I can see how it has broadened her horizons and opened her mind, and that's all the justification I need
Ontario, Canada
2,340 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by capriciousc
I understand completely. I think one of the most tangible benefits of traveling with children is that they get to see how the other 90% lives.
Exactly! I just hope they realize that some of those people are in their own back yard.
This from the one who sent her DS1 to school wearing his brand new all star jersey today...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Anthem of the Seas 2-1-2017 12 day Eastern and Southern Caribbean

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas
NCL Gem 22-12-2014 12 day Christmas and New Year's
NCL Pride of America 28-3-2015 with a week in Kona
NCL Star 31-1-2016 Western Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 13-3-2016

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.
Georgia
1,209 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by capriciousc
I understand completely. I think one of the most tangible benefits of traveling with children is that they get to see how the other 90% lives. Our DD will be turning 8 on our upcoming March cruise to Central America and has asked if she can take some toys she doesn't play with anymore to give to the kids she might meet when we stop at various ports. I've convinced her we can get some small things at the local dollar store to hand out and give her toys from home to local charities, since there are plenty of kids living in poverty right here in Georgia.

We've also been careful to explain to her that a lot of her friends haven't had the opportunities to travel that she has had, and that she should appreciate the fact that at her age she has seen more of the world than her 65-year-old grandmother. Over the years we've met a number of people who think we're crazy for taking her all of the places we have, but I can see how it has broadened her horizons and opened her mind, and that's all the justification I need

We have taken school supplies with us when visiting the Western Carribean. The smiles on those kids faces when you give them some paper and a 25 cent box of crayons was priceless. My DD was wowed by it all and it hummbled her. They wouldn't even begin to know what a iPod was. She realizes how good she has it. Even the kids in our town don't get to travel like she does.
Ontario, Canada
366 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Our 2 boys (aged 9 and 6) had a great time on their first cruise as well. They always ask us when we are going to go again. Unfortunately for them mommy and daddy want alone time and we will be sailing without them in April. They do not know this yet, I do feel bad because I know they'll be upset when they hear they're not coming. We'll just have to book another cruise for the 4 of us for next year!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
Carnival Dream-7 Day Western Caribbean. 4/14/12.
Carnival Pride-7 Day Bahamas & Florida. 10/09/11.
Savannah, GA
132 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by B&Z's Mom
Exactly! I just hope they realize that some of those people are in their own back yard.
This from the one who sent her DS1 to school wearing his brand new all star jersey today...
Don't feel bad - I volunteer for a science enrichment program in the local public schools, but put my kid in private schools because ultimately the public schools here are so bad. It's an ongoing dilemma, I think - raising a socially conscious child and yet wanting to give them all the advantages you can (as well as some "nice to haves" that we can afford that perhaps others can't).

We've sought out local charitably organizations that help people who live in our community, and try to get involved with those. It has helped DD realize that there are poor and disadvantaged people everywhere, not just in "third world countries." The fact that you realize how lucky your kids are and want them to realize it as well speaks volumes to me about how wonderful of a parent you are
Savannah, GA
132 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by tmt218
We have taken school supplies with us when visiting the Western Carribean. The smiles on those kids faces when you give them some paper and a 25 cent box of crayons was priceless. My DD was wowed by it all and it hummbled her. They wouldn't even begin to know what a iPod was. She realizes how good she has it. Even the kids in our town don't get to travel like she does.
This is an excellent idea - thanks! I'm definitely going to do this.